• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This bard thinks he has the X factor

The Edge

First Post
Ive got a bard player who seems to be trying to become the worlds first rockstar. Hes saveing up so he can get himself a, as he said "a +5 sixstring", the sixstring being his own varient of the lute, basicly a guitar. By enchanting it he gets all the benifits of and electric guitar and more (nifty wizzy sparks when played and such). Plus with other spells you can put together strobeing lights and other cool efects. And with some magical reasearch followed by some potion makeing, thats the microphone and voice efects covered. Just think of it, a medieval concert, with ear spliting music, crowds of people, the bakers wife fainting.

Its a weird idea, but undeniably cool, and its great as a progresive character goal. So im going to let him, but that doesn't mean it will be easy. And who said everyone will like it. Imagine.

Mayor - "Whats this I've heard about some minstrel and his new fangled music."
Council member - "I can't stand it sir, frankly its nothing but mangled noise to me."
Mayors daughter - "Actually I quite like it, Im going to see the concert tomorow."
Mayor - "Oh no your not young maiden, not in my town your not! That bard causes nothing but trouble."
Council member - "Rightly said sir, rightly said ."
Mayors daughter - (away and under breath) "I don't care what he says, I am going to the concert, whats wrong with the music. The bard doesn't look too bad either, shame he's only three foot.*Sigh*"

Lots of things can come out of it. Neat idea?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
One of my players did that about 13 years ago. He had a head-banging ranger who played an electric lute. I think we used a shocking grasp spell to get that effect.

He was part of the house band - Arrowsmithe. :D

(Funny, right as I post this, "Sweet Emotion" comes on the radio.) :lol:

lukelightning

First Post
Some people freak out about guitars in D&D world, even though guitars have been around for like 5000 years; perhaps not exactly like modern acoustic guitars but significantly closer to a guitar than to a lute.

Ambrus

Explorer
The Edge said:
Its a weird idea, but undeniably cool
I don't think it's undeniable. For instance, I think it's a little cheesy but each his own right? :)
The Edge said:
Mayors daughter - (away and under breath) "I don't care what he says, I am going to the concert, whats wrong with the music. The bard doesn't look too bad either, shame he's only three foot.*Sigh*"
A public performer or entertainer being derided by the mature segment of the population while being celebrated by the younger generation is nothing new to history; both Socrates and Shakespeare were similarly condemned and celebrated in their time.
Mystery Man said:
Will his pelvic gyrations be considered scandalous?
Or perhaps be blamed for the summoning of evil extraplanar creatures? :D

JimAde

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Will his pelvic gyrations be considered scandalous?
He can only be scried from the waist up. :)

I think it's fine. Will the "+5 guitar" actually give him +5 on his Perform roll? Just out of curiosity, what are you charging him for that?

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
I had a gnomish bard whose chosen instrument was a pipe organ. He commissioned one to be built into a fully mobile wagon that he could live out of...it was monstrous. The party turned into a travelling show...that robbed communities blind...I was young. <shrug>

Other favorites:

Dwarven Bagpiper

Bugbear Drummer

Kolbold Flautist

Bards were a hobby of mine in 2nd ed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads