this is for all DMs out there, and those players who actually care for the character

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
wow, never thought of using real life as a campaign resource...cool

what about characters, did your players ever played a characterd that you've grown to hate?
one of my players just created a samurai that got on my dark side pretty quick. she's arrogant (not vegeta arrogant, total jackass arrogant), she thinks she owns everything, and she has absolutely no respect for any npc. I think it's time she faces my "special" npc salesman. He's an epic half-fien that sells the PCs almost everything they need, for a price. either a nice amount of gold, or by small jobs (that sometimes aren't that little).

Mycanid

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
wow, never thought of using real life as a campaign resource...cool

what about characters, did your players ever played a characterd that you've grown to hate?
one of my players just created a samurai that got on my dark side pretty quick. she's arrogant (not vegeta arrogant, total jackass arrogant), she thinks she owns everything, and she has absolutely no respect for any npc. I think it's time she faces my "special" npc salesman. He's an epic half-fien that sells the PCs almost everything they need, for a price. either a nice amount of gold, or by small jobs (that sometimes aren't that little).

Hmm ... well, I assume you are asking all of us this question as opposed to any single one of us, so I'll answer anyway, and apologies if I was not "the intended"! :)

Well, yes ... I have had players with characters who "got out of hand" to my tastes. But when I was dm'ing such I have found there are small ways to discourage such behavior without outright manipulating and "railroading" as older threads have termed it.

I shouldn't say that I "hated" it per se ... it just annoyed me, and, what is more to the point, it annoyed the other players as well.

I should say, though, that my campaigns, adventures, etc. are all VERY clearly set up for good aligned characters eventually stepping into a heroic role from humble, inauspicious beginnings. I find many people really like that as well, so I provide it!

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Mycanid said:
Hmm ... well, I assume you are asking all of us this question as opposed to any single one of us, so I'll answer anyway, and apologies if I was not "the intended"! :)

yup. I'm asking everyone for it, I'd like to hear the experiences of everyone :D

and about the alternatives to "railroading". how do you make a, arrogant anti-social character to get..."better"

arscott

First Post
Here's a mantra for authors and artists, but it works well for GMs too:

Never ask an author where he gets his ideas. He gets them from everywhere. The task of an author is to decide which ideas are good.

Mycanid

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
yup. I'm asking everyone for it, I'd like to hear the experiences of everyone :D

and about the alternatives to "railroading". how do you make a, arrogant anti-social character to get..."better"

Oy ... a hard topic. An likely a very unpopular one too. :( ::Sigh....::

Well ... many people through the years have said that such behavior carries it's own punishments. In the real world if anyone behaved like that they would be ostracized, ignored and generally shunned. "Geez, what a jerk!" and such things muttered under others' breath is the most common thing I think of being said with such people. ;)

Contrariwise, it is quite natural that those who are much more cooperative, genial, helpful, and even self-sacrificing (heavens!) are generally more LIKED by most people. These elements in society can not only have an effect on people in our world, they are just as likely to have an effect in gaming settings.

Now ... here comes the sticky part. You are the DM. You should not outrightly "take sides" and/or insist on changes "overnight" (although such radical alignment changes CAN take place and sometimes do in real life - religious conversions are one example of this and can be VERY interesting to roleplay!).

Rather, you should take the long view of things in mind. If the player acts like a jerk then let him be treated as such by others - not necessarily "put in his place" or beaten down" or "humbled by circumstances", but a slow wearing away and chipping bit by bit through people (especially in urban situations) behaving towards the pc as he behaves towards them. In other words, give them a healthy dose of real life.

Now ... some may argue with me on this, but in my limited experience I have found that this works very well. But it does take a LONG time. Just be patient with them and take the long view, as a parent might in rearing a rebellious child. ;)

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
that sounds really good Mycanid. I think I'll start doing that. it's not that I'm taking sides or trying to force the character to change. it's just that it was one of those characters that you know you'll hte the second you set yours eyes upon 'em.

but If her luck remains the same, than I have nothing to fear. she is the only one who can roll a 4 on a jump check with a 11 lvl fighter...

an_idol_mind

Explorer
COMICS!!!

I use comic books for characters and setting inspiration. Modern comics have the larger than life feel that I think suits D&D well. Pretty much my entire explanation for how magic works is borrowed from the pages of the Green Lantern, for example.

Mycanid

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
that sounds really good Mycanid. I think I'll start doing that. it's not that I'm taking sides or trying to force the character to change. it's just that it was one of those characters that you know you'll hte the second you set yours eyes upon 'em.

but If her luck remains the same, than I have nothing to fear. she is the only one who can roll a 4 on a jump check with a 11 lvl fighter...

:lol:

You're welcome!

Wow ... I'm not used to being of some USE in here.

Anyway ... I'm glad I could help.

Remove ads