This is Free Trader Beowulf: A System History of Traveller - This Friday!

Bluenose

Adventurer
This just reminds me how many of GDW's board games deserve modernized reprints. Steve Jackson already tackled Triplanetary (which partly inspired his own Star Fist design) and Imperium has had at least one new (and rather divisive) edition from Avalanche, but there are others that would probably do well either as nostalgia buys or simply on their own strengths. Still holding out hope for a modern Asteroid, for ex.
I'm not even sure who owns them, but there are several companies who have published new versions of some GDW boardgames - HMS have the Europa series, still I think, and as you say Avalanche published a new edition of Imperium.

I'm not even sure who owns them, but there are several companies who have published new versions of some GDW boardgames - HMS have the Europa series, still I think, and as you say Avalanche published a new edition of Imperium.
Oh yeah, I always forget Europa - ironic, considering how big it was for establishing GDW back in the day. I was thinking slightly more modern stuff like the Desert Storm era games, as well as some of their other scifi titles. If Imperium did okay an updated Dark Nebula might sell as well, Belter with more modern components and streamlined record keeping could be a solid multiplayer contender, with a little polishing Double Star could be a solid 2-player, and - well, Bloodtree Rebellion might be a little too out there for today's market, but maybe I'm wrong. From the couple of times I actually got to play it was almost hypnotically complex the way you had to balance urban psyops with back-country military ops.

And that's not even considering updated boxed versions of Mayday and Snapshot, or even a prestige printing of Azhanti High Lightning - do something fancy with that like that limited run of AvHill's Titan and you'd sell through to collectors easily.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Initially no, but we have already had a request for an audio version, so other formats may be a thing in the future. However, I will say that we have a very efficient PDF compiling/flattening process, so it should flow very easily on a reader.
Now an audiobook would be awesome as I could listen to it while travelling.

I'm guessing your budget wouldn't stretch to Brian Blessed or Matt Berry to narrate it? :)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Now an audiobook would be awesome as I could listen to it while travelling.

I'm guessing your budget wouldn't stretch to Brian Blessed or Matt Berry to narrate it? :)
Fantasy Football Sport GIF by ESPN

Matt Berry?

This is Free Trader Beowulf: A System History of Traveller comes out this Friday!

Starting in the days of GDW, this mighty tome charts the real world history of Traveller, its books, its eras, and all the different publishers who contributed to the epic!
I can't find it on your website. Is that because it isn't Friday yet, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
I can't find it on your website. Is that because it isn't Friday yet, or am I just looking in the wrong place?
It is indeed not Friday yet :) Will be going up just after lunch (UK time) on Friday!

(Basically, the PDF versions of our books are available straight away on pre-order, so they do not get put up on the site until they are ready - hope that explains it!)

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
This is Free Trader Beowulf: A System History of Traveller comes out on Friday!

It is not just the frontline Traveller publishers this book is covering - we also dive into the third party licensees, including FASA, Gamelords & Judge's Guild...

travhist4.jpg

travhist5.jpg

Remove ads