• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E This spell + this spell equals _____

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Slow Cooker = Hold Person + Wall of Fire

I have used this in games. Caster 1 lands the Hold spell. Caster 2 sets up Wall of Fire with an inward facing ring of fire. The victim autofails it's Dex save when the wall goes up, and so long as the Hold lasts, it takes 5d8 fire damage each turn. Granted it's not the most efficient use of 2 casters maintaining concentration, but it is a fun way to finish off a nemesis NPC. Even more fun if you can have someone else place a Moonbeam on the held person prior to the wall going up.

That’s almost alignment-change worthy! I approve! :)

Herosmith14

First Post
Fireball + Cone of Cold

If any targets survive, extreme heat-extreme cold in a space of 6 sec will send them into shock. Science!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Valmarius

First Post
The Slow Cooker = Hold Person + Wall of Fire

I have used this in games. Caster 1 lands the Hold spell. Caster 2 sets up Wall of Fire with an inward facing ring of fire. The victim autofails it's Dex save when the wall goes up, and so long as the Hold lasts, it takes 5d8 fire damage each turn. Granted it's not the most efficient use of 2 casters maintaining concentration, but it is a fun way to finish off a nemesis NPC. Even more fun if you can have someone else place a Moonbeam on the held person prior to the wall going up.

Otto's Irresistible Dance + Wall of Fire = Disco Inferno
It's the same kinda concept, but with a dumb name :D

Gadget

Adventurer
What about the old classic Grease and Fireball combo?

I'm not most DM's would give you this. While the Grease spell does cover the ground in a grease substance, it would be hard to get a DM to rule that the grease would be ignited by a Fireball for more damage, YMMV. On the plus side, this edition does say outright that "slick grease" covers the ground in the area, and Fireball does say it ignites flammable objects in the area; so there you have it.

jgsugden

Legend
I'm not most DM's would give you this. While the Grease spell does cover the ground in a grease substance, it would be hard to get a DM to rule that the grease would be ignited by a Fireball for more damage, YMMV. On the plus side, this edition does say outright that "slick grease" covers the ground in the area, and Fireball does say it ignites flammable objects in the area; so there you have it.
As a DM, I'd allow this to create a flaming area that deals minimal damage (d6/rd - Save negates) if you start your turn there for the duration of the grease spell. If a PC comes up with something fun or clever, reward it. Encourage it. Don't worry if it makes a battle a bit too easy.

Slit518

Adventurer

I'm just going by older editions where people would do this type of thing quite often, unless the rules of each spell said differently.

My players were doing this since 2nd edition.

Gadget

Adventurer
As a DM, I'd allow this to create a flaming area that deals minimal damage (d6/rd - Save negates) if you start your turn there for the duration of the grease spell. If a PC comes up with something fun or clever, reward it. Encourage it. Don't worry if it makes a battle a bit too easy.

This is something that has been going on since AD&D, and is, quite frankly, a little bit cheesy. In this addition with reduced spell power, somewhat less so. In older editions the Grease spell did not specify that actual grease was created, just that the surface was slippery. I tend to put it in the category of things like: "I cast create water; In his lungs" (the modern version is worded to avoid this), and "Wall of force is so thin on the edge as to be infinitely sharp and almost undetectable, so if I place it just so it will cut the <whatever> in half when he comes around the corner" (believe it or not, quite common back in the day). This is why so many spells ended up having such legalize in them over time. Cleverness is one thing, but sometimes enough is enough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads