• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Those improvisational moments…

Texas in August Studio

Texas in August Studio
The improvisational moments in an RPG game are sometimes the best and most memorable. In a recent game I had two such moments which seemed to land well with the players. For the sake of clarity, this was a Mage: The Ascension game.

First, during the game the players found themselves in the spirit world version of a hotel (the Umbra). They were at the hotel pool and as a one-off non-sequitur I said in the pool were water-babies and mermaids, who were playing volleyball.

Naturally, this got more attention than the actual story.

This led the players to ask about water-babies; they had never heard of them before. I remember the children’s stories. One player asked if they were like the women in Las Vegas who wear bikini’s hand hang out at swimming pools. Another player said, and I quote, “No, those are water babes.” Needing to do so, I improvised and then described the water-babies as people sized, but covered with seal-fur. Later the characters were running down the hallways of the spirit hotel, following the running water-babies, because the PCs hoped the water-babies knew the way out and they were all being chased by bad guys (Technocracy strike team).

Second, I had to again improvise an encounter between the PCs and the staff at a magic auto-shop (Sons of Ether run chop-shop). I had thought they would go to the shop, but in the real world. But they were still in the spirit world. So I needed a way to have them interact with the wizards running the place. I decided, as much to amuse myself as anything else, that robot-monster was in the spirit version of the shop. But he is a friendly robot, helps them and serves to put them in contact with his human wizard creators. And he talks in a phony-baloney Boris Karloff impression. If you have heard the audio-books of Terry Pratchett where an Igor appears, yeah, that is the voice I did.

Anyway, this was all unplanned, improvised on the moment, and it still all worked. This is a big part of why I enjoy gaming.

What are your memorable improvisational moments?

Remove ads