• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Thoughts of a 3E/4E powergamer on starting to play 5E

hawkeyefan

Legend
Now that I think about it, "other people's expectations" would have been a better term for it than 'standards'. I've been somewhat surprised how many people in this thread seem to have a problem with me playing 5E in a manner that doesn't meet their expectations. That being said, I haven't really seen it being a problem at the table, and lurking around forums and social media with a younger, less AD&D focused crowd than this places it doesn't seem to be as big a deal in those places either.

Speaking only for myself, I made suggestions to you not because I have any problem with how you choose to play 5E or because I can't handle criticisms of 5E.

Rather it was because you expressed dissatisfaction with how 5E fit your chosen playstyle, so I saw it as a discussion on how to find a style that would mesh better with 5E.

Suggestions are made...you ignore them in favor of doing things as you always have...dissatisfaction seems like a foregone conclusion.

But either way, good luck...I hope the game becomes more enjoyable for you.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I have noticed that this thread hasn't made me any more inclined to play 5E to anyone else's standards.
Nor should it.
Rather it was because you expressed dissatisfaction with how 5E fit your chosen playstyle, so I saw it as a discussion on how to find a style that would mesh better with 5E.
The point (well, a point) of 5e was to broaden the range of play styles under which D&D could be played. If you did have to play to 'someone else's standards' or in a different style 'that would mesh with 5e,' that'd be a failure of 5e to achieve that goal.

I'd think a DM could adapt 5e to fit even thecasualoblivion's style. But probably not in the context of AL, since it leaves the DM less latitude.

Uchawi

First Post
I don't think 5E broadened the play styles; at least from a 4E mechanical perspective. A lot was left behind and never expanded.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't think 5E broadened the play styles; at least from a 4E mechanical perspective. A lot was left behind and never expanded.
That's debatable. DM Empowerment opens up a lot of latitude, by itself, for instance.

The point was merely that it was a goal (even presented as a justification) of 5e. At the time there was this perception that each edition supported it's own little stable of play-styles, excluding all others, with little or no overlap, so 5e would need to be the 'big tent/umbrella/flumph/whatever' capable of encompassing all those styles (and maybe more).

Too often, IMHO, a casual assertion of abject failure to achieve that goal is presented in the guise of a 'defense' of 5e from criticism or expressions of dissatisfaction by anyone who might be pigeonholed as a partisan of some past edition.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
No A is B.
Some C is A.
Therefore, I am getting a drink and not taking the Logic 101 exam.

I don't know who decided to put me in front of a classroom to teach logic -arts major- but I would have failed you already :D

No one is requiring you to like 5e; if you do not like it for what it is, that's totally fine! Despite 3e and 4e, many people continued playing 1e and OSR. This isn't Fahrenheit 451 where all prior editions are burned; if it isn't working for you, just play another edition, or another TTRPG. :)

I think oblivion has all but told us that not playing in this table is not an option.

This response seems written by an entirely different person that the one I responded to previous.

Mine is now 26! And you are wrong.

Wow, I thought you were younger, obviously older than me, but not that much. Had I known you were old enough to be my father I would have had a better response to you. Sorry, bunny bunny moonbunny in flames sorry.

If not fix it for you, then perhaps for someone else reading your criticism and nodding in agreement - but open to potential solutions?

Speaking is cathartic. I don't really think that solutions are that easy to come by. From my own experience a lot of proposed solutions tend to only wok when you are DMing and not playing, or when you have a considerable sway over your DM. But it takes way less persuasion to make other editions work for certain styles, sometimes even none, as they are out of the box.

That's debatable. DM Empowerment opens up a lot of latitude, by itself, for instance.

I feel this in itself is open to debate. Not having a solid base as well a base hurts certain ways to play. It is easier to do certain things -like thecasualoblivion optimizing for combat, or my own going for rp heavy special snowflakes- when you know the clear limits and the clear "rights", I feel less confident expressing myself into a character the less I have to work with, not for lack of creativity, but because that would be extremely unfair and I would hog the spotlight for the wrong reasons -not to mention that I would feel like an outsider that is demanding special treatment from the table-. DM empowerment also tends to facilitate "Emperor DMs" that are very closed to input from players, I don't know but some of the most open minded and facilitating DMs I've played with came from the rules-heavy 3rd and 4th editions (Ok also from 2e), but I have found way too many dictatorial DMs with 5th.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Speaking is cathartic. I don't really think that solutions are that easy to come by. From my own experience a lot of proposed solutions tend to only wok when you are DMing and not playing, or when you have a considerable sway over your DM. But it takes way less persuasion to make other editions work for certain styles, sometimes even none, as they are out of the box.
One thing that I can't help but wondering about when the 'style' complaint comes out is what people really want for their style. Is a system that allows their style enough, or does it have to actively 'support' that style, does support really mean reward, can it 'support' other styles, or does it have to be style-exclusive, etc?

For me, if a system merely allows my style - doesn't actively discourage/punish it, doesn't radically over-reward others, doesn't force a given style - I'm not seeing a lot to complain about.

Yes, 5e does that for me as a DM more than it does as a player, I'll grant that it's very DM-oriented, 'DM Empowering.'

I don't think a game has to dis-empower players to empower the DM, though. 5e may arguably do so, but it doesn't have to, and the DM doesn't have to let it.

I feel this in itself is open to debate.
Sure is, feel free.
Not having a solid base as well a base hurts certain ways to play.
A solid base of clear, well-defined, consistent, playable, balanced rules is certainly a good thing to aim for and very nice to have. It's a valid game-design philosophy, and in any game other than an RPG, you probably wouldn't get a lot of push-back for expecting such qualities in a game. RPGs though, seem to really /need/ a DM, no matter how much effort goes into the system design. At some point, a designer has to ask, 'what - who - am I doing this for?' If you can assume a good-enough DM using the system, you have less need to build difficult-to-achieve qualities into that system, you can focus on other aspects of the design than the details and interactions and functionalities of the system - like the Story, 5e's stated emphasis.
It is easier to do certain things -like thecasualoblivion optimizing for combat, or my own going for rp heavy special snowflakes- when you know the clear limits and the clear "rights",
Easier or even possible, with a given skill set. Given a system you know won't be modded much - whether it's a 'solid' system or an easily 'broken' one - you can develop and apply system mastery to get a better character. That's a certain kind of skill. OTOH, given a system you know will be heavily DM-moderated, you can cultivate the relationship with the DM to achieve much the same result. A different skillset. Depending on your relative talents, one may well be much easier than the other. But which way you go is as much about the 'table-culture' you're playing in as the system. A DM could run 4e or 3.x with flagrant disregard for RaW and just rule as he likes, or run 5e or 1e (madness!) strictly 'by the book' (even if the book strictly tells him not to run strictly by the book).
I feel less confident expressing myself into a character the less I have to work with, not for lack of creativity, but because that would be extremely unfair and I would hog the spotlight for the wrong reasons -not to mention that I would feel like an outsider that is demanding special treatment from the table-.
As a player, I understand the concern, but as a DM, I feel that is the kind of concern it's the DM's responsibility to address, especially in a game like 5e. A good DM will work with a player to provide them what they need to play the character they want. If that's guidance as to how some things that are vague in the rules are likely to work, so be it. It's no guarantee (even in the most tightly-defined RPG, the DM could whip the RAW right out from under you at any time), but it's better to have it out there.

DM empowerment also tends to facilitate "Emperor DMs" that are very closed to input from players, I don't know but some of the most open minded and facilitating DMs I've played with came from the rules-heavy 3rd and 4th editions (Ok also from 2e), but I have found way too many dictatorial DMs with 5th.
There are good DM and not so good DMs. No system can shield you from the bad ones, though - at best, a clear system will make it more obvious when a bad one is abusing his position. So 5e chooses to be open to being used very well by the best DMs, as well as to being abused by the worst. That's a legitimate choice. Like having a laize faire regulatory environment, it's caveat emptor.

I'm delighted with it. Just as you'd expect the best - and worst - DMs to be. ;>

Leugren

First Post
The only really sturdy character I've ever seen was a Barbarian taking half damage from everything with a huge pile of hp.
This. With at-will advantage and a defense strategy which takes it for granted that you will be getting hit a lot, the Barbarian seems custom-tailored for people who hate swinginess. I was drawn to it immediately. My mental saves are my biggest concern, so I stick close to the paladin.

G

Guest 6801328

I mean I know people who feel the same way when someone wastes their precious time resolving a combat round-by-round that might have been able to have been talked through. They seem to be able to put up with the delay in the game until people have finished rolling attack and damage rolls without taking a swing at the girl next to them.

Genius. I laughed and it makes an important point.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

That DMs have their authority so clearly enshrined does not, as far as I can tell, have any meaningful bearing on what playstyles they choose. Because they can freely get it super, SUPER wrong just as easily as they can freely get it super right. The whole "most DMs don't understand iterative probability, and thus most efforts at playing a stealth game are fore-ordained to fail."

The point was merely that it was a goal (really, presented as a justification) of 5e. At the time there was this perception that each edition supported it's own little stable of play-styles, excluding all others, with little or no overlap, so 5e would need to be the 'big tent/umbrella/flumph/whatever' capable of encompassing all those styles (and maybe more).

Too often, IMHO, a casual assertion of abject failure to achieve that goal is presented in the guise of a 'defense' of 5e from criticism or expressions of dissatisfaction by anyone who might be pigeonholed as a partisan of some past edition.

I...don't think I'm understanding you correctly. Your first bit here says it was a goal(/justification) of 5e to be a 'big tent.' Then your second bit says that defenders of 5e use the failure of that goal as a defense of 5e? I just...what? How is that even a thing?

Huh. That's weird. Most of the people I've read, who have cautioned you, were more speaking to the fact that your preferred playstyle is likely at odds with the rest of the players at your table. And that is the issue. Not that you shouldn't enjoy playing it however you wish. But that it might cause disruption as it clashes with theirs. You know, since you've repeatedly insisted you refuse to bend or adapt to the rest of the group. And your subsequent posts describing your disruptive behavior only seems to validate their concerns.

First making unfounded assumptions about people you don't know, and now add to that judgemental.

Remove ads