• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on 0-level spells

Brennin Magalus

First Post
I think all classes with spell-casting ability should get 0-level spells (for the sake of consistency, if nothing else) and I think spontaneous casters should know all 0-level spells, since they only produce minor effects.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I agree with the first statement, but not the second. New cantrips/orisons continue to be developed, and there's no reason that every spellcaster would know these effects. They should all know something comparable to Prestidigitation, though, which can do many, many effects.

Slife

First Post
I think the number of cantrips you can cast should increase as you level. I have no idea why they don't already...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Slife said:
I think the number of cantrips you can cast should increase as you level. I have no idea why they don't already...
Or why high spellcasting stats don't affect them.

Heck, I'd even take a ring of wizardry for cantrips! "Ring of the apprentice," perhaps.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Heck, I'd even take a ring of wizardry for cantrips! "Ring of the apprentice," perhaps.

You'll find one of those (ring of wizardry 0) in The Temporal Key, a free campaign arc from GMC. It has several other new crunchy bits also, making it a steal at its price. ;)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have gone the opposite direction. Wizards do not begin play with all 0-level spells in my game.

Then again, they also roll randomly for starting spells (though that is not as bad as it sounds based on how we break down the spell list for this process).

S'mon

Legend
I like the Vancian/Dying Earth feel of my B/X D&D pbem, where there are no cantrips but a Sleep spell will knock out 2d8 goblins, no save - there's a much stronger feel that magic is something dangerous, not unleashed lightly, compared to later higher-magic versions of D&D.
I'm also running Wilderlands with C&C, which has cantrips - only 1 spellcaster PC and she's not cast any yet that I can recall, but it gives a very different feel, more magic-as-part-of-daily life, a bit Earthsea-ish.

I think cantrips-for-all suits high fantasy like Tolkien, whereas no-cantrips suits Conan or Vance style swords & sorcery.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads