• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on Amber v. Chaos

Baron Opal

First Post
Amber v. Chaos
&
Pattern v. Logrus

In building something comparable and evocative for my D&D game it took me some time to consider the differences between the two. They were the capstone powers of Zelazny’s stories. Magic, technology or other powers might be stronger or weaker in some shadows, but the influence of the Pattern and Logrus permeated creation. In 4e D&D that wasn’t quite feasible or desirable, really. But I did want some thematic differences.

The Princes of Amber are a small and fractious lot. The Dukes of Chaos are many and cooperative, if only in relation. The Pattern can only be walked by a blood relation of Dworkin who drew the Pattern. Anyone with the appropriate training can walk the Logrus, although it is dangerous to do so. It is never stated that someone must be of Chaos to walk the Logrus although it is strongly implied when Merlin talks to his mother and cousin that there is significant preparation that is required for success.

At first, I tied dragonmarks to the Pattern and spellscars to the Logrus. However, in thinking of how I wanted my campaign to work and the proclivities of my players the lines have blurred a bit.

To give a more complete picture, a bit of background follows. (1)

It is the year 672 post cometam. Her Most Illuminated Majesty the Empress Amelia XI rules over the Imperium Astrae (2). 672 years ago Emperor Sadric IV called down several stars definitively ending the perpetual war between the Star Crown and the Shaper Empires. The resultant ruin forced the survivors to gather together against the horrors of Twilight.

The Twilight sprang from the new-formed wastelands to the west of the Barrier Peaks. Armies of twisted creatures flowed from an ever expanding gloom. This murky shadow, called Twilight by Imperial sages, hid the most terrible creatures from the reminants of the Imperium until it was almost too late.

The newly crowned Empress Amelia XI forged a great alliance of the remaining powers. Under her wise and august guidance she lead an army to the one gap in the Barrier Peaks. Forcing the creatures of Twilight back over the single pass, the Empress invoked an epic ritual that sealed the Twilight forever to the west. The Limbic Argentum (3) flashed north and south in waves of silver flame. The new Imperium celebrated its victory. However, the Empress was gravely wounded by the terrible weapons of Twilight. Soon she would die and the great barrier she created would fail. The Imperial sages quickly transported her back to the capital city for a radical solution.

The sages built a great golden throne and sealed the Empress within it. Enchanted by all of the temples, guilds and covenants working together for the only time in history, the throne sustains the Empress’ life so that the horrors of the Twilight are kept at bay.

The throne requires a fantastic amount of power to sustain the life and mind of the Empress. Fortunately, orichalcum was soon discovered. Orichalcum was a fabled substance once, found only in minute quantities in disparate places. With the damage done to the heavens by Emperor Sadric, stars continuously rain down from the sky. After the impact, the crater often has a deposit of valuable materials. These craters can be mined for adamantium, star iron and most importantly, orichalcum.

Orichalcum is power made manifest and is the very foundation of the Imperium. With it the Empress’ life is sustained, the Limbic empowered, magic items fashioned, warpgates maintained and clerics consecrated. All of the magical processes of the past can be circumvented with this wondrous substance. The old ways still work, of course, but why go through the hazard and the time for finding components for spells and prayers when a coin weight’s of orichalcum can buy you your dreams?

In her wisdom, the Empress auctions charters to the noble houses to mine orichalcum. This gives them access to the oligopoly of orichalcum trading. Most of the orichalcum is given to the Imperial family in taxes. The rest is saved for noble’s use. This includes the ritual of the mark. A permanent structure or fixture in the Imperial Household is required for this ritual (the Logrus) as is a supply of orichalcum from the house stores. The head of each noble house has a specific variation of the marking ritual that grants the mark. These rituals were set at the time of creation of the structure and make the distinction between the major and minor houses. Variations of or mistakes in the ritual trend towards fatal results, but sometimes create aberrant marks. Since only seven marks (4) are in use that leaves other mark rituals to be invented or discovered and thus new major noble houses to be made.

Even though the Twilight is sealed behind the limbic, many creatures were never driven back behind it or have broken through since. The lands between the great cities are very dangerous. The smallest towns have 12 foot walls and strong netting to protect themselves from land and air threats. The settlement of a new town is an expensive affair which requires building extensive foundations and walls. There is a way to avoid these dangers, however.

Instantaneous passage is handled by the Warpsmiths of Jasp. They have the secrets of folding space utilizing ley lines. Warpgates have been installed in all seven major cities as well as some minor ones. As no mark is required (5), they can operate without Imperial interference. This travel consumes orichalcum, and these services are sold impartially to the other houses. This does make the Warpsmiths a major political player even though the have no mining charters.

The Pattern? I think I’m going to tie that to the Rune Sea and the practictioners will be called the Runescarred. More to come on that.

(1) With thanks to Clark411 and many other authors.
(2) Empire of the Stars. Feel free to correct my Latin.
(3) Silver Border, again with the Latin.
(4) Beast, Finding, Making, Healing, Shadow, Storm, Warding.
(5) The mark of Passage is not present. A very similar feat named Warpsmith Apprentice is available, however.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There always was interesting opposition of balances going on....

Because there was so much wildness in chaos -- people who are native/evolved there had to learn to create there own structure.

Because amber was so unchanging... people of amber introduced there own wildness to it...

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Seems strange to run an Amber game in the D&D system - I only read the first book, but isn't the level of reality-altering going on enough to make the D&D rules seem really confining? I'd say something like Nobilis would work better.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Seems strange to run an Amber game in the D&D system - I only read the first book, but isn't the level of reality-altering going on enough to make the D&D rules seem really confining? I'd say something like Nobilis would work better.

If you start players at epic tier with bloodline path associated with logrus and the pattern... we might be looking at something that feels amber like.

Remove ads