• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on change to Sorcerer Class.

melkoriii

First Post
What are your thoughts on a house rule to allow Sorcerer’s to pick spells from any 2 Class lists?

This is the only change Im thinking of.

The idea behind it is that they have a understanding of the flow of magic and so can shape it into anything they want. In a sense they are (copying) spells they either see or imagine.

I know this really can change the power of the Sorcerer but to me as it is they are on the low end of the poll of classes.

DonAdam

Explorer
I don't think it would be bad, but note that, for the sake of whoever is playing a sorc, there is a possibility that whoever plays one will be pressured into becoming a healer by the other party members.

I'm basically using the bloodline sorc rules from Dragon 311, so I would allow non-wizard/sorc spells on the bloodline lists, but I dislike the flavor of most sorcs having a back-up healing spell.

melkoriii

First Post
Bloodline sorc from Dragon 311?

Hmmm I don’t think I have seen that yet.

I will have to check it out.

Thanks.

On the note about healing.

I played a Sorcerer/Eldrich??? Monte's Sorcerer Class from Dragon.

anywho.

That PrCl allows you to pick spells from other class lists and I picked Cure Moderate Wounds for a lvl 2 spell. It was all we needed as I only healed when it was really needed (Cleric was not there/ out or dead) But could also do spot checks just before bed.

I didn’t feel I was the main healer even when we didn’t have a cleric for awhile. The Ranger took that role with wands (as did I some times) but still did my Sorcerery job.

DonAdam

Explorer
I agree that it's not a huge problem; it would bother me at all if a player wanted a healing sorc. I just don't like the idea of all sorcs having a spare one. Chalk it up entirely to personal preference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads