Thoughts on Eldritch Knight Polearm Build

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
But that assumes the target moves every time. But the more likely scenario would be the target moves 1 time, if it doesn't die, gets smart to the situation and stops moving assuming this is an intelligent creature. Or if it does die, its allies get smart to the situation and knows not to move. Then your average goes down.

Yes, but the whole point of using BB with a reach weapon is to put the target in a situation where he has to move do do anything useful.

Against a target where that isn't true (for instance, someone with a good ranged attack), certainly you would not use the BB combo.

neogod22

Explorer
Yes, but the whole point of using BB with a reach weapon is to put the target in a situation where he has to move do do anything useful.

Against a target where that isn't true (for instance, someone with a good ranged attack), certainly you would not use the BB combo.
I'm not sure how much you've played in tier 3 or higher, but at this stage, monsters are usually either huge or bigger, have range, magic, or ranged attacks. There usually isn't an advantage of being 10ft. away from a lot of creatures.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
On the range of booming blade:

They didn't want you to be able to hit an enemy with booming blade and move off (with no downside) thus forcing the creature you hit into a no win situation is exactly why they intentionally gave it a 5ft range.

It's so blindingly obvious why are we even still discussing that part?

neogod22

Explorer
On the range of booming blade:

They didn't want you to be able to hit an enemy with booming blade and move off (with no downside) thus forcing the creature you hit into a no win situation is exactly why they intentionally gave it a 5ft range.

It's so blindingly obvious why are we even still discussing that part?
Because there's no such thing as ranged attacks?

Dausuul

Legend
Can you use spell sniper and a great sword to get extra range with it?
"As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, or the spell fails."

The way I read this is that, in addition to the range limit, you have to abide by all the usual rules for making a melee attack with the chosen weapon. So the target must be within range of the spell and within the reach of your weapon. If either of those is not the case, you cannot make an attack that meets the requirements, and the spell fails.

I suppose you could argue that the attack is a special melee attack granted by the spell, and therefore its only constraint is the range limit. I don't really buy this argument, though, and I don't think most other DMs would either.

Yes, I was thinking "could I use this spell with spell sniper/distant spell to make a dagger attack at 10'?" But I agree with your interpretation - a weapon attack is explicitly part of casting the spell, so the conditions for the weapon attack - i.e. reach, must also be met.

neogod22

Explorer
BB works best on a Swashbuckler with the magic initiate feat. And have the polearm fighter use ranged cantrips so he can be versatile in both ranged and melee combat.

Remove ads