• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on ELH, Epic Monsters, etc...

Undead Pete

First Post
I finally bought the ELH a couple of days ago (that $39.95 price tag was the only thing that held me back so long) and I have a few thoughts:

• IMHO, they should update the Tarrasque and make it an Epic Level Monster. It has always had the reputation as being one of the toughest, if not the toughest monster, in existence. It should be at least CR 40
  • My 2 favorite Epic Monsters are the Atropal (the twisted freak that thought this puppy up is my idol) and the Worm that Walks (simply because I had a frighteningly similar idea that had been sitting in my subconscious for months....but I never did anything about it). These are truly wonderful creations that are giving me all sorts of campaign ideas.
  • Some of the monsters really sucked. I didn't see much need for the Legendary Animal entry at all
  • Are there any plans for 3rd party Epic modules or projects?? For that matter, will any of this be released to the SRD??

Thoughts??

Crothian

First Post
Simple put the monsters are the best section in the book. I expect the ELH to be in the SRD by 2003 (no I'm not holding my breathe). And then I expect to see many 3rd party modules later that year.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Undead Pete said:
For that matter, will any of this be released to the SRD??

Last I heard, the ELH will be in the SRD followed by DDG, MotP, and MM2 (not necessarily in that order). Perhaps near the end of the year for the ELH or early 2003? No idea. They do have someone working on adding all the stuff to the SRD though (or so I hear).

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
Undead Pete said:
[*]My 2 favorite Epic Monsters are the Atropal (the twisted freak that thought this puppy up is my idol) and the Worm that Walks (simply because I had a frighteningly similar idea that had been sitting in my subconscious for months....but I never did anything about it). These are truly wonderful creations that are giving me all sorts of campaign ideas.

Maybe the idea frighteningly similar to the worm that walks was implanted in your subconscious by the Buffy episode that the thing was ripped off from in the first place?

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Thoughts on ELH, Epic Monsters, etc...

DM_Matt said:

Maybe the idea frighteningly similar to the worm that walks was implanted in your subconscious by the Buffy episode that the thing was ripped off from in the first place?

Actually there was a creature in a Rifts book that is the same thing that came out before that. And I doubt it was original to them, either. :rolleyes:

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Re: Thoughts on ELH, Epic Monsters, etc...

You're joking, right?

DM_Matt

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on ELH, Epic Monsters, etc...

mmadsen said:

You're joking, right?

Nope. First season. One of the assassins in the Order of Turaka was made of maggots, but could hide it with clothes and some magical ability that allowed him to appear human. He apparently fought by engulfing, has the ability to discorporate, and could only be killed by killing ALL of the component maggots. He was killed in the final battle of the season, where Buffy, Kenda, Giles, Xander, Willow, and Cordelia defeated Spike, a couple of his minions, the maggot demon guy, and a female human assassin fond of guns and knives.

This particular one was killed when Xander and Cordy, who had escaped its attack before, got its attention, and ran into a room and closed the door. This forced it to discorporate to get under the door. Once it did, they poured a couple buckets of glue on it and stomped the maggots to death.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on ELH, Epic Monsters, etc...

Nope. First season.
I'm not questioning that Buffy used the idea; I'm just surprised you thought that was the first time it had ever been used. Consider reading H.P. Lovecraft's The Festival (from 1925).

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on ELH, Epic Monsters, etc...

mmadsen said:

I'm not questioning that Buffy used the idea; I'm just surprised you thought that was the first time it had ever been used. Consider reading H.P. Lovecraft's The Festival (from 1925).

Bah. Everyone knows that the worm that walks was originally invented by Robert E. Heinlein in his seminal Conan story, "The Worm That Walks". The copyright to the idea was bought by T$R when they acquired the rights to all of Heinlein's work after he died. This is why there are no worms that walk in any of Tolkien's stories, because T$R would have sued.

Hope this helps!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads