• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on Multiclassing

I've had two magus characters in my campaign, and I'm still not convinced they're not overpowered. Not so broken as to ruin the game, but just broken enough to notice.

I don't really think that's what I want a fighter-mu to be in 5th.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
1) 1e multi-classing with options for XP distribution.
2) Multiclassing occurs: at characters creation or at certain "milestone" levels. Not possible every level.
3) Optional XP distributions: a) "traditional" 50/50. b) DM choice of 75/25 or 25/75 depending on which class you practice/use more c) Player choice of 75/25 or 25/75.

I know it'll never happen since they are almost certainly going to give...folks...3e style. Which I despise and think changed the nature of/ruined the game. So I'm not getting it how I want. I have accepted this. There simply will not be multiclassing in my games.

The idea that turning from a 6th level Fighter to being able to immediately cast as a 6th level Wizard (or worse, 7th) is just so many ways of broken and brain-hurt immersion-busting...I'd just assume there be no multiclassing in the game at all before something like that.

--SD

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I like 3E in that you could learn to be anything, but they made a serious mistake in trying to push "every level is equal" - picking up 1 level in wizard is not of the same value as getting your 7th level of fighter, and the reverse is even truer (though the latter is mostly a fault in the inbalance between spellcasters and non-spellcasters in 3E).

I'd like to see something more along the lines of 2E's dual-classing rules, but that you can switch between class advancement. If your a 6th level fighter and you want to pick up your first level of wizard, it should only take about 1,000 XP - not the XP to be 7th level (as a fighter). However, this has an issue as well - you could abuse it by taking lots of 1 or 2 level class dips for the cost of one higher level in any given class.

There are issues, but I've always liked this.

Even in 3rd we tried it for a while. The fighter would spend so much of his XP on leveling in wizard. Like you said, there began to be a lot of little dips, so we made anyone "multi-classing" this way set up a standard ratio.

Say 50/50 for simultaneous advancement or 75/25 for dipping into wizard. And the max classes was three.

Probably not balanced enough for core rules, but working amongst a group of players at home it did well enough.

N'raac

First Post
What tends to get overlooked in comparing 1/2e and 3e multiclassing is that 2e characters got the better saves and THAC0/BAB and averaged hp. They did not get the sum of both. 3e added a lot more abilities for non-spellcasters, making multiclassing more costly (eg. you have to split your stats resources, your feats, etc. between the two classes). [can't seem to get a paragraph break...]

N'raac

First Post
So, let's take a 8th/8th F/MU from 2e. He'd have a BAB equivalent of +8, 4th level spells and an average of 32 hp before any CON bonus (5.5 = 2.5 = 8/2 = 4 per level), 36 if we give him max hp for 1st level. An L8 wizard makes our base chassis, as he has the right spell suite. Only a +4 BAB, though. Adding 2 levels of Fighter only gets him to +6. Only 26 hp vs 32 (30.5 vs 36 if he started as a fighter). So unquestionably the 3rd Ed multiclass had to sacrifice more of one class to get the same in a second. That said, that +6 is only one short of a L10 Cleric.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads