• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on new News Page

Brown Jenkin

First Post
If there is another thread on this I have not been able to find it. Normally Morris has provided a link to a thread for comments so hopefully others will let him know here what they think as well.

Upon looking at the new News Page you are testing out today I thought I would leave my comments. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to give an assement of whether I like the overall format itself because I found it very difficult to actualy read it. While the color sceme is the same as the regular news page, by reducing the font size I am no longer able to easily distinguish between the grey and the black. I am able to read the reglar news page without dificulty, with the new one I had to realy concentrate on the page and only got halfway through before giving up. Perhaps you could either boost the font back up or change the color to white so it is more legible. Otherwise let me say I love your site.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll move this to Meta.

That was a very long-winded way of saying that you think the font size is too small! :) -- I agree, incidentally. But I'm still figuring out how to use the software.

Bear in mind that this is really just a server load test. I haven't fully decided what I want to do, and if I *did* switch over, it'd be a while off - there's an awful lot of matierial to redesign and move.

Mainly, I'm using it for the news syndication capabilities and the automated links page/file upload capabilities right now.

Last edited:

Darraketh

First Post
It has the look and feel of a message board. As for commenting on each post, doesn't the message board provide this service adequately? Wouldn't this feature detract from the message board?

I prefer the news grouped by date as opposed to each article being dated. I don't mind waiting for the day's issue to go to press as opposed to having the news updated whenever.

I suppose the software has its advantages particularly when there are multiple news reporters and editorial control is not an issue. However I feel the news page would lose the Morrus touch.

As for the server the page did load slower than the regular news page.

lambdaZUG

First Post
A couple of comments:
1--Where's the link to the reviews page? Please, also make it easier to find than on the old page. I've referred people to enworld to find reviews, but eventually had to send them an url to the actual reviews page because they couldn't find the link.

2--I will now become a Web Usability Evangelist :)

As others have commented, the font size is too small. I agree. As a rule of thumb, NEVER (yes, NEVER!) change the font size for body text. Always use the viewer's default. This is because there are people with visual impairments in the world, and they can set their browser to use 30-point font. When they come to your site, however, you force them to use 11-point. I certainly can't read 11 point. I had to use my browser's "zoom" function to even read the page.

To fix: edit "themes/Giga_insetable_rogue/style/style.css" and remove all font-size lines.

3--Dropdown list boxes are completely unusable. They have a dark gray background and black text :(

To fix: there are a couple of ways you can fix this. The easiest way is to just edit the style sheet (the same as above), and put a 'color:' entry in the SELECT { } block.

That's all I've noticed so far.

Remove ads