• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on the Geomancer

Quickbeam

Explorer
Colonel Hardisson:
I made that statement primarily because it does limit one's potential for acquiring at least one (if not both) type(s) of higher level spells. Certainly, the array of spells available is more diverse with such a multiclass, but IMO that's not really a worthwhile trade-off. Much like you, I wasn't intending to be inflammatory, just making an observation.

Everyone else:
Thanks for the replies thus far!! I have a PC who's very devoted to the study of magic in all its forms, and his favorite traveling companion is a druid. Presently, this character is a 3rd level cleric of Boccob/1st level illusionist and I'm strongly considering the geomancer PrC as an option...thus the requested feedback.

Please keep it coming :) !!

Hattersai

First Post
I like the Prestige class for its uniqueness.
Though I do prefer the FF version were they use the evironment againist enemies.

Crothian

First Post
Looking over I'm reminded how cool the class is. The spell versatility really allows the dull classes to work together. The Ley line idea is interesting. The 4 skill points and the d6 HD is good iceing.

Edit: What's the FF version?

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The "FF" version would be the Final Fantasy version, currently getting to the point of being displayed on Final Fantsy d20 in Tactics and Generic forms. :)

Sorry for the plug.

Basically, they use aspects of the terrain to attack their foes. Say, they're standing in a large field, and they call down a windstorm. Say, they're in a forest, and they animate a Treant for a brief period. Say they're on a mountain and they cause a small landslide. If they're on a beach, look out for tidal waves. If they're underground,

They make their first appearance in the Japanese-only release of Final Fantasy 3, and are also found in 5. Mog, the moogle from 6 is basically a geomancer, and they make an appearance in Final Fantasy Tactics.

In D&D, my plan is to model them with spells that vary depending on their terrain. Generally OK combatants (about cleric-level), with divine spells being replaced by terrain effects, like those above (though a far more limited list). They'd be similar in flavor to druids, but more concerned with the entire planet as a living entity, calling out and getting responses from nature spirits representing the natural forces of the world.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Hattersai & Kamikaze Midget:
The FF version sounds cool, and the nature-power spell effects give a better feel for the character's drift along ley lines.

Crothian:
I think the d6 for hit points was the only viable option since you're essentially straddling the line between the primary divine spellcasters (d8) and arcane casters (d4). And I totally agree, this PrC sounds wicked cool to me :D !! The designers have done a great job making a less than optimal multiclass combo seem very functional and attractive.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
That's one of the best qualities of PrC's, though....

Why bother taking Exotic Weapon Proficiency for the shuriken? Unless your DM is able to design a PrC that can effectivly use the shuriken without loosing any skill over a combatant of similar character level.

PrC's help make unattractive choices slightly more attractive, one of the cool elements of them. :)

Remove ads