• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thread Category & Prefix System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
DanMcS said:
Your standards for what to implement are hard for a user like me to fathom. There was no huge outcry to implement the tags, but you implemented them.
Are you seriously wondering whether every change requires a huge outcry first?

Michael Morris

First Post
<rant>If programmers and computer engineers waited for huge public outcries for change we'd still be using the IBM PC (y'know, the one with the 8 mhz 8088 processor).

I try to pay close attention to posting patterns and look for problems or ways that things could be done better. While no one called for categories, many folks have called for more forums for "insert pet topic here." However experience has taught the moderators that putting topics off in their own forum more often then not kills them. Hence the search for a subtopic system.

As to setting up a toggle - I honestly think some of you are getting spoiled. If I wanted to drive myself nuts it is possible to create a toggle for every conceivable element of the interface, and I guarantee that at least someone here would still complain. That's the sad part of my job - no matter how much I do someone's going to whine that the system isn't laid out exactly how they want. I've learned to live with that. System not up to your individual specs? Tough.

I volunteer my time here. I am not paid. I will not be dictated to like a servant or a slave. If you want me to make an interface change and use an idea - be nice about it. Buzz is the only person in this thread to at least use "please", and he wasn't asking for the option to remove the tags. Here's a hint - I'm far more likely to be responsive to something phrased politely than I am to an edict or demand.</rant>

buzz

Adventurer
Michael Morris said:
Ok, I went ahead and put this back in (also accidently alphabatized the whole list :\ )
Sweet! (Re: adding the category, not the alphbetizing.)

Thanks! :D

Gez

First Post
Just kidding, dudes, in case you don't get it. ;)

Yeah! That alphabetizing sucks! It makes it hard to use! Angryangryangry now! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Michael Morris said:
good rant
Actualy Michael/Spooney one thing I learned in life is that no matter what you do there will always be someone who bitches about it. These people are usualy the minority usualy a vocal minority but still a minority. Don't let them get to you especialy when you are doing this as a labour of love and not being paid for it. There are how many users at EnWorld and how many are complaining? Seems to me most people are either ambivalent or like the change. Look at the glass as half full of good old full bodied brew as opposed to half empty.

cybertalus

First Post
It's only been a few days, but already I'm finding that the threads without categories have begun to bother me. Last night I even caught myself not looking at the thread titles of a couple topics that didn't have them. I just skimmed on down the page to the next thread that had a category. I guess this is my way of saying that I like them and hope they stick around.

I also like that they're text, not graphics. Text-only is much easier to read.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Michael Morris said:
Buzz is the only person in this thread to at least use "please", and he wasn't asking for the option to remove the tags.
I didn't even think about that, but that's a good point too. Sorry for not saying please beforehand.

DanMcS

Explorer
Michael Morris said:
I volunteer my time here. I am not paid. I will not be dictated to like a servant or a slave.

Yes, because people asking if it would be possible, and/or offering to help, is exactly the same as dictating to you like you're a slave.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Let's give this a rest of a little while, please -- while we listen to that hot new radio station K-LUNK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads