• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Three Fighters Walk into a Dungeon ... (a V2 Play-test)

mlund

First Post
3 Fighters walk into a bar ... A DNDNext Play-test log.

So the new play-test packet dropped a week ago and one of the players of the regular game was going to be out of town this week. It seemed like the perfect time to give the new rules a shake-down. It started with asking people for a raw concept - "what do you want to do?" or "who do you want to be." TesterD wanted to mash things with large weapons. TesterR wanted to try "playing a tank." TesterK wanted to do try his hand at archery. Later TesterC came around and decided nobody had any magic so it would be a good time to try out a sorcerer.

In the end the party composition broke down as follows:

TesterD - Hill Dwarf Fighter (Slayer) w/ Chain Mail + Maul, S16 D14 C14 I8 W12 C10, Soldier, Survivor
TesterR - Mountain Dwarf Fighter (Protector) w/ Chain Mail, Battle Axe, + Shield, S16 D10 C14 I12 W14 C8, Custom Skills, Guardian
TesterK - Wood Elf Fighter (Sharpshooter) w/ Studded Leather, Long Bow, S8 D16 C14 I12 W14 C10, Custom Skills, Healer
TesterC - High Elf Sorcerer (Draconic) w/ Studded Leather, Shield, S10 D14 C12 I14 W8 C16, Noble, Magic-User
Minor Wizard Spells: Light, Detect Magic, Mage Hand
Minor Sorcerer Spells: Shocking Grasp, Ray of Frost
Lvl 1 Sorcerer Spells: Burning Hands, Charm Person

The first session involved introductions and party dynamics to start with. There was a very interesting vibe of intra and inter-racial rival going on.

The Hill Dwarf and Mountain Dwarf are night and day in terms of attitudes, weapon choice, and fighting style while still falling firmly into dwarven cultural stereotypes. We're talking a Sox-Yankees rivalry between thing Hammers vs. Axes, Barley vs. Fungus Beers, Avalanche vs. Unmoving Mountain style. The one thing they can agree on? They thank Moradin each day that they were born Dwarves instead of elves. On the other side of the table, you've got a soft-spoken Wood Elf Ranger next to a High-elf noble that sneezes magic and has his own squire, bulter, and halfling chef traveling with him. Each has been sent by their respective peoples to look into the plight of the Blingdenstone expedition after receiving a call for help. Kill-counting, one-upsmanship, and banter ensued.

WARNING - the following contains spoilers for the play-test adventure "Reclaiming Blingdenstone"

Upon their introduction to Blingdenstone a small raid of orcs crashed the nearby barricades when the sentries were momentarily distracted by the strangers. I introduced 2 extra orcs to the raid to keep the sentries busy but the party disposed of their own portion of orcs so quickly their swath of destruction spilled over to those poor fools. The two dwarves ran out to the front of the barricades and readied to receive the orc's charge. The archer made a Deadly Strike from atop the barricades and dropped one orc before it even got into melee. The first orc to get there ran straight into a readied maul and died horribly. +2 to hit vs. 16 and 18 armor left each orc at a 35% or 25% chance to hit anything. The guardian shield-block made one of those 35% chances drop to around 12%. One orc managed to land a single hit on the less-armored dwarf, and it was a telling blow 11 on the die +2 for 13 HP of damage. Fortunately, the player had neglected to use Deadly Strike so he wound up parrying the damage to down to a mere 8 points (leaving him with 10/18 HP). Then the sorcerer pulled up late and managed to miss with Ray of Frost.

In the next round the dwarves manage to hit and kill another orc, causing the remaining 3 to take their last hacks and attempt to flee. One suffers an opportunity attack from the Maul Fighter but survives, while the Axe + Shield Guardian realizes that he can't take an opportunity attack since he blocked the first orc attack of the new round, using his one Reaction for the round. The sorcerer manages to hit the wounded orc with a ray of frost and kill him. On his turn the Maul fighter jogs up and lets fly with a throwing hammer, catching a fleeing orc with a natural 20 for 11 damage. Splat. The last orc manages to avoid a thrown axe and an arrow to dash around a corner and flee into the darkness beyond. They got out some bandages and patched up the Hill Dwarf's axe-wound expertly (restored all 8 HP).

5 Dead Orcs
Party at Max HP
1 Hit Die used (out of 5)

Once availing themselves of the plot hooks the party decides to head into the Wormwrithings to eliminate the kobold infestation and retrieve Singing Stone crystals. Almost the entire party (two dwarves trained to spot, two elves with Keen Senses, you do the math) notices a kobold trap. Being an old hand at clearing tunnels, the Mountain Dwarf puts his Find/Remove Traps skill to use but rolls poorly, triggering the net and the alarm. Kobolds rush in but the party is not surprised at all. The Fighters start killing kobolds on one flank (killing 2) and then sorcerer empties Burning Hands into the left flank, killing 4 kobolds. In between that the kobolds unloaded some sling bullets, but the two hits they managed to land were both on Fighters than obviously didn't need Deadly Strike to squash kobolds, so their 1d4+1 damage got stopped by 1d6 parries both times. Somebody took 1 damage. There were no survivors.

Scouting the area, the characters found the second ambush point and this time they spotted the lurking kobolds as well as the trigger wire. They just hopped over the wire and charged the little blighters. 6 Kobolds survived long enough to use their slings. Two actually managed to hit the Elven Archer, who had used his Expertise to reduce their cover on his turn. He suffered 7 damage. Then Draconic Sorcerer once again killed 4 kobolds in a single pass by applying his burning hands spell into their hidey-hole. No further damage was inflicted and even withdrawing the kobolds couldn't escape fast enough. Again, no survivors. They took a short rest to treat the Archer's sling-stone bruises and he's ready to walk it off (total of 8HP restored, cut off at max value).

5 Dead Orcs, 16 Dead Kobolds
Party at Max HP
2 Hit Dice used (out of 5)
2 Willpower Points used (out of 3)

That had taken us about 1 hour and 45 minutes, so we decided to leave off until next session with the party following their gnomish guide down into the depth of the Wormwrithings.

Observations:
- XP for Orcs is totally messed up. As Level 3 standard monsters they give more XP than other Level 3 Elites. I cut it in half.
- All the monsters have been playing like 4E brutes so far - poor accuracy but their rare hits do a lot of damage. It feels more like rocket-tag where one team is populated entirely by clueless noobs than D&D right now.
- Trying to be a Guardian Fighter shows some real cracks in the "One Reaction Per Turn" limit - especially frustrating when you lose out on your chance to take an opportunity attack on a fleeing foe because you intercepted their attack with your weapon or shield before they turned and ran
- The three Fighters played like three completely different classes. The current core functionality of the play-test Fighter is excellent. I think we're down to the tweaking stages now over Combat Superiority abilities. For example: Glancing Blow on the slayer is a complete dead-end. There's nothing level-appropriate he can miss in melee while rolling a 10.
- Even with a sub-optimal, fluffy elf-build (10 STR, melee-weapon never used in favor of Shocking Grasp) the Sorcerer is a total house. If I were a War-Wizard I'd be a very bitter one right now.
- Fighters don't desperately need Clerics around to keep them up in battle anymore. Things like Toughness and Parry really make them much more survivable.

Questions:
- Did they intend for casters to add their ability modifiers to spell damage in this iteration? The damage rolls section of the "How to play" document makes it explicit, but it seems wierd how Strength and Dexterity both used the "to attack rolls and damage rolls" wording under Attacks but under Magic Ability for Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma the wording only specifies attack rolls. Considering how damage up-scaled on many spells it feels like people might have been writing them assuming you wouldn't always be piggy-backing +3 or +4 modifiers to them.

I look forward to seeing where this is going to take us next week. We've had overtures to expand to a proper 5-man table, bringing in a Human Sorcerer.

- Marty Lund

PinkRose

Explorer
Only certain spells add ability mod and it's specifically stated in the spell.

Nice write-up.
Though I disagree at the "Cracks in One Reaction per Turn". I think it is a benefit. If you use your shield to block in 6 seconds you are not prepared to also attack in that 6 seconds.
I concur with everything else.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Maybe the DM (Marty?) could try a +2 or +4 blanket bonus to monster attack rolls?

I think part of the issue is that as it stands there is a big disparity between AC for a wizard (12 on the pregen) and the heavy-armor guys at level 1. Your players picked heavy-armor types, and they reaped the benefits. IMO it's awesome that these AC disparities exist, but I question whether classes like the wizard (and clerics and sorcerers without heavy-armor domains/origins) garner enough benefits to make up the difference.

I think this is one of the most obvious problems with dragon-sorcerers in the current playtest (and I say knock 'em down to medium armor and no shields). But it's also a biggie with clerics: does the Sun domain's radiant/fire resistance really equate to the +4 AC bonus from using chainmail and a shield instead of studded leather?

mlund

First Post
Your players picked heavy-armor types, and they reaped the benefits.

Well, the two Dwarves took heavy armor.

The two Elves took Medium Armor and had at least 14 Dexterity. One of them had a shield.

The AC break down was as follows:

Mountain Dwarf (Shield): 18
Hill Dwarf (Two-handed): 16
High Elf (hield): 16
Wood Elf (Bow): 15

Let's write off the Mountain Dwarf bonus for a minute here since it is a sub-race specialty. The gamut of player character ACs in D&DNext at level 1 should basically run from 12 (no armor, 14 dex) to 17 (chain mail + shield). A level 3 monster should not be missing the bottom rung 50% of the time and the top of the heap 70% of the time. I think the numbers are off by about +2 to hit. Of course, that would have to involve a damage trade-off.

I think the real problem is someone reverted to the failed model of "Monsters used the same statistical mechanics as players" and generated everything based off of raw stats and the equipment tables - IE the Dex 12 Kobold with 11 AC and +1 to hit with a sling for 1d4+1 damage, and the Str 14, Dex 10 Orc with studded leather armor and a great axe having 13 AC and 1d12+2 damage. That's a terrible way to design monsters and created this rocket-tag / "all monsters are brutes" scenario.

One thing 4E did well was create excellent monster-design templates largely divorced from character-creation mechanics. Cool monsters can be cool in their monstrous fashion and cool characters can be cool in their own way.

But it's also a biggie with clerics: does the Sun domain's radiant/fire resistance really equate to the +4 AC bonus from using chainmail and a shield instead of studded leather?

Well, the laser cleric (re: sun domain) probably doesn't put much into Strength like the War Domain cleric would to use those Martial Weapons. He'll probably put a 14 in Dexterity if he's wearing Studded Leather Armor, so the disparity will be 15 AC vs. 17 AC - and that's pretty reasonable between domains. Giving the cleric proficiency with the Quarterstaff would be a nice touch too.

- Marty Lund

Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
3 Fighters walk into a bar ... A DNDNext Play-test log.
Reminds me of my 5 fighter game from the first playtest. I think we can all agree that fighters have become much more interesting.

We're talking a Sox-Yankees rivalry between thing Hammers vs. Axes, Barley vs. Fungus Beers, Avalanche vs. Unmoving Mountain style. The one thing they can agree on? They thank Moradin each day that they were born Dwarves instead of elves. On the other side of the table, you've got a soft-spoken Wood Elf Ranger next to a High-elf noble that sneezes magic and has his own squire, bulter, and halfling chef traveling with him. Each has been sent by their respective peoples to look into the plight of the Blingdenstone expedition after receiving a call for help. Kill-counting, one-upsmanship, and banter ensued.
That all sounds absolutely awesome. Exactly what I'd want from a group of dwarves and elves.

- XP for Orcs is totally messed up. As Level 3 standard monsters they give more XP than other Level 3 Elites. I cut it in half.
I completely agree. Orc xp must have been typo-ed somehow? When I ran it briefly for two PCs, two fights with orcs put them up to second level. Two skirmishes. Second level.

- All the monsters have been playing like 4E brutes so far - poor accuracy but their rare hits do a lot of damage. It feels more like rocket-tag where one team is populated entirely by clueless noobs than D&D right now.
True. I had only two PCs in my game, and each had AC 17, so they were hard to hit to begin with. Even Talabrina had a tough time hitting them. I'm interested to see how the monsters fare against a normal party (less armor-heavy). I do like that having armor actually makes a big difference in how difficult you are to hit; I don't think it has in previous editions of D&D.
- Trying to be a Guardian Fighter shows some real cracks in the "One Reaction Per Turn" limit - especially frustrating when you lose out on your chance to take an opportunity attack on a fleeing foe because you intercepted their attack with your weapon or shield before they turned and ran
I'm not sure I'd agree here. Looking back to 4th Edition, you had Immediate actions and opportunity actions. You had two separate types of actions that operate out of the initiative order, but they function in completely different ways. In addition, you got as many opportunity attacks as they were separate monster turns to trigger them. 5th Edition has simplified things down to one out-of-turn action, the reaction. And you only get one of them, no matter how you swing it. You have to make a choice whether you want to defend or stop someone from fleeing, and I really like that.

I'm not a big fan of opportunity attacks gaining advantage, though.

- The three Fighters played like three completely different classes. The current core functionality of the play-test Fighter is excellent. I think we're down to the tweaking stages now over Combat Superiority abilities. For example: Glancing Blow on the slayer is a complete dead-end. There's nothing level-appropriate he can miss in melee while rolling a 10.
I completely agree. I'm in love with the fighter right now. The expertise dice are a brilliant mechanic; simple, effective, and easy to remember.

- Even with a sub-optimal, fluffy elf-build (10 STR, melee-weapon never used in favor of Shocking Grasp) the Sorcerer is a total house. If I were a War-Wizard I'd be a very bitter one right now.
I want to see more of the sorcerer before I make up my mind, but it sounds like almost everyone considers them too powerful.

- Fighters don't desperately need Clerics around to keep them up in battle anymore. Things like Toughness and Parry really make them much more survivable.
I'm finding this more and more. Having a fighter really means the whole party doesn't need a cleric as much, too; they can really soak up damage, and with the right combat style, they can soak for allies too.

Great playtest, Marty, I enjoyed reading it. I can't wait till my group gets a chance to go, I'll be sure to post some details.

Rhenny

Adventurer

Bravo. Great report. I always like reading these, and yours was stylistic and easy to follow.

Your comments above are definitely on my mind. I haven't DMd or played the 2nd playtest package yet, but after reading it (and creating a 1st level adventure of my own for my group to play tomorrow night), I'm wary about the changes from playtest package 1 to 2 that lead to this issue.

Since the average PC has +6 (some with +7) to hit, and most of the monsters have +2 or less to hit, I'm worried that PCs won't get hit enough to make them fear. Yes, the PCs have lower hit points than first playtest, but it seems as if each battle is all or nothing, and getting hit is rare - especially for the armored PCs.

Here are some thoughts to balance this.

I'm thinking that Monster "to hit" should be boosted a bit to shrink the PC monster to hit gap.

With Monster's that are 3rd level an up, hit points should be raised (especially now that fighters apply extra damage with expertise dice.) It was really challenging and fun for my group against the Ogre in the first playtest. The Ogres in the 2nd playtest package don't seem so scary.

Perhaps PC hit points should be a little higher (especially if monsters will hit more often.).

Wizards need a way to gain AC or they walk around dungeons with a big target on their chest. Shield spell is too limited in bonus and duration. I'm a fan of Mage Armor (+4 AC) for 1 or more hours.

I'm going to see how the game plays tomorrow night, until then...happy playtesting and thanks again for posting your game experience.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
*sigh*

It's an inevitable consequence of the design philosophy. Apparently someone at WotC is convinced that if players look down and see a "27" on their sheet at level 1 they will quit the game immediately, and thus Hit Points need to decline. Monster damage should be "threatening."

But since the combination of getting hit frequently, hits being "threatening" and low hit dice (as well as more restricted access to healing) means that you'd just be dead meat. So what has happened, behind the scenes (to prevent level 1 parties from getting gibbed) is that monsters now miss quite a lot (rather than them often hitting anything other than a guy in heavy armor with a shield and some serious work on his defenses).

Chi-Sigma distribution says that most combats will therefore be somewhat easier than intended, while some will be quite a lot harder than intended.

Hopefully this will all go away at higher levels, but so far I've been... underwhelmed. Maybe it's my engineering background, but the mathematical underpinnings of this edition seem... shaky.

Anyway, good report!

I can't agree enough on how good the CS mechanic is. It is so simple, a relatively new player picked it up easily, and yet it is SO versatile, and very fun!

I'm pleased to hear that different fighting styles play like different classes; we only had one fighter in our group. And yes, Glancing Blow is worthless as written - it should simply work whenever the fighter misses.

I also concur that the orcs and kobolds need roughly +2 more to hit for the game to feel right.

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I thought people would appreciate this:

I was mentioning to Darren (the player of Dag, the 'Sociopath' fighter in our own playtest) some things being said on the forums. "This one guy posted about taking three fighters and a..." Darren - who again, is relatively new to D&D - interrupted and said, "Three fighters?! The monsters don't stand a chance, those guys are badass!" And he was completely sincere.

I'm not sure I've ever heard people talk about D&D fighters that way before. Ever.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Sorry to post twice in a row, but I thought people would appreciate this:

I was mentioning to Darren (the player of Dag, the 'Sociopath' fighter in our own playtest) some things being said on the forums. "This one guy posted about taking three fighters and a..." Darren - who again, is relatively new to D&D - interrupted and said, "Three fighters?! The monsters don't stand a chance, those guys are badass!" And he was completely sincere.

I'm not sure I've ever heard people talk about D&D fighters that way before. Ever.

I agree with Dag. In my playtest game, the 2 fighters barely got scratched. The rogue, wizard, cleric each came close to 0 hp, but the archer fighter only got knocked down to 8 hp, and the Guardian never went below 10 hp (both pre-gen characters from the package).

Not only do the fighters have the most hit points and the highest armor class, but they also get to use expertise die to soak damage.

Imagine this....at 5th level a fighter can soak an average of 9 hp from a hit if he uses parry. At 10th level (according to the info in Penny Arcade Podcast that gives fighters 4d10 expertise dice at 10th level) the fighter can soak 22 hp from a hit if he uses parry.

I'm thinking this is too good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads