Three Races (Drowned, Deathtouched, God-touched)

drexes

First Post
I like the kalimatra alot, I think I'll yoink them. The other race (to lazy to scroll up for spelling-- my office is like 100 degrees right now) is cool too, just not appropriate for anything in my campaign... Good work though.

Hey along with thier whole creature of the night mentality, maybe the kalimatra should have either low-light or darkvision...just a thought...

Drexes

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Yeah, that is a good idea on the night-vision thing. I just didn't include it because I didn't want to deal with PCs having different visual abilities in my campaign. :p

Glad you like the races.

Next: The True Asturian / God-touched

The Edge

First Post
Hmm, tiredness from running and physical activities is really a different thing to sleepy tired. One is lack of energy and wear on the body while the other is more wear on the mind. Kinda... I dont know.

When I read this...
"-Deathtouched were touched by the spirit of a dead child whilst in the womb, and were changed by this. "
...the first thing I thought of was twins where one twin had died in the womb. That could certainly cause a deathtouched.

Well, good work, I await the next one.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Yes, you are quite right about those being different. I thought it might be anor way to emphasise their "dead-ness", without being truly undead.

...yeah. I didn't consider that, but it would be an even more tragic aspect to one of the death-touched. I'll have a bit of a think and try to come up with a feat or two in relation to that. Perhaps you might have a suggestion?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Creative Block!

Aargh! :(

Having some trouble coming up with interesting, flavourful abilities for the third race, the Devata, or God-touched. They are setting specific at present, but I can imagine them becoming more generic. They could be an alternate version of the Aasimar in some campaigns, for instance. Aiming for +0 LA...

Here's what I have so far.

True Asturian / Devata / God - Touched

In the legends of the Asturian people, they were created from the blood of the Deva Astur. As they live, die, and are reborn, each Asturian’s soul- their divine spark- learns and grows closer to true communion with their King and God. Those who have achieved a greater purity of soul are sometimes reborn as Devata, also known as True Asturians, or God-touched.

Personality: Devata tend to have very even temperaments, and are often expected to exemplify the virtues of the society in which they were raised.
Physical Description: Marked by their unblemished appearance and golden hued eyes, Devata are markedly different to ordinary humans. Their features tend to be graceful and distinguished, and their bodies seem to radiate energy and power, but otherwise follow the appearance of their human parents.
Relations: Devata have no culture of their own, and inherit the prejudices of their parent culture.
Alignment: Devata are still essentially human, and tend to no particular alignment, not even neutrality.
Lands: Devata have no lands of their own, living amongst humans. Due to their auspicious birth, they are often seen as lucky in most communities.
Religion: By their nature, Devata are aligned with a particular deity, spirit, or way of life. There are those that reject their heritage and follow their own way, perhaps learning something their soul could not otherwise learn by following their old ways.
Language: Devata speak Common, or the languages of the culture they were born into.
Names: Devata take their names from their parent culture.
Adventurers: Devata excel in many fields, and typically have great devotion to their people. Some tire of the attention they receive amongst their communities and strike out on their own.

Devata Racial Traits
Devata have the following racial traits.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Devata have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Spirit Subtype: Devata have the spirit subtype, which means they can be affected by spells that specifically target spirits, such as protection from spirits and invisibility to spirits. Their human ancestry makes them humanoids, however, so they are also affected by spells such as charm person and hold person.
Divine Soul: Devata receive a +2 racial bonus on Will saves. A Devata’s mind is their own.
Focused: +2 racial bonus on Concentration checks. Devata are good at focusing their minds.
Favoured: Devata receive a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks when interacting with followers of their culture’s primary religion, and with servants of their patron. In a contemporary campaign, this bonus would apply to Outsiders of the character’s alignment.
Favoured Class: Favoured Soul or Monk (If core only)

Xereq

First Post
I like these races they have an air of origionality about them.
My submission, should you choose to accept it, is two racial feats for the Kalimatra.

Pact with the Onix Gaurdian (Racial)
You forge a stronger connection to the afterlife, the ills of necromancy have little hold on you.
Prerequisits: Kalimatra, Base Will save +3
Benefit: You are entitled to a saving throw to remove negative levels or ability drain form a necromantic or undead source every hour. You must still make a save or lose a level permanently if a negative level persists for 24 hours.
Normal:Negative levels remain until 24 hours have passed or until they are removed with a spell, such as restoration. If a negative level is not removed before 24 hours have passed, the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ draining creature’s racial HD + draining creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level goes away, but the creature’s level is also reduced by one. A separate saving throw is required for each negative level.

Twin Beyond the Gate (Racial)
Your twin died in the womb, its spirit touching you before departing. You can still sense that twin beside you but a world apart. Sometimes you talk to your sibling and the afterworld, about your troubles, or things you ave experianced. And sometimes the afterworld answers.
Prerequisit: Kalimatra, first level
Benefit: You gain Augury as a spell-like ablility usable once per day, caster level equal to your class level.
Special: You may only take this feat at first level.

Last edited:

Xereq

First Post
As for the Devata, heres an ability:

Paragon soul: A Devata's soul carries the essence of purity and enlightenment. Devata treat their Wisdom and Charisma scores as 2 points higher when determining bonus spells, and saving throws and other numeric values for class abilities.

Edit: Oh and BTW, would you care to join us? http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=168792

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Devata/True Asturian Redux! ;)

Thought it was about time I got on with finishing this. And so...

True Asturian / Devata / God - Touched (take 2)

In the legends of the Asturian people, they were created from the blood of the Deva Astur. As they live and die, each Asturian’s soul- their divine spark- learns and grows closer to true communion with their King and God. Those who have achieved a greater purity of soul are sometimes reborn as Devata, also known as True Asturians, or God-touched.

Personality: Devata tend to have very even temperaments, and are often expected to exemplify the virtues of the society in which they were raised.
Physical Description: Marked by their unblemished appearance and golden hued eyes, Devata are markedly different to ordinary humans. Their features tend to be smooth and flowing, and their skin cold to the touch, but otherwise follow the appearance of their human parents.
Relations: Devata have no culture of their own, and inherit the prejudices of their parent culture.
Alignment: Devata are still essentially human, and tend to no particular alignment, not even neutrality.
Lands: Devata have no lands of their own, living amongst humans. Due to their auspicious birth, they are often seen as lucky in most communities.
Religion: By their nature, Devata are aligned with a particular deity, spirit, or way of life. There are those that reject their heritage and follow their own way, perhaps learning something their soul could not otherwise learn by following their old ways.
Language: Devata speak Common, or the languages of the culture they were born into.
Names: Devata take their names from their parent culture.
Adventurers: Devata excel in many fields, and typically have great devotion to their people. Some tire of the attention they receive amongst their communities and strike out on their own.

Devata Racial Traits

Medium: As Medium creatures, Devata have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Spirit Subtype: Devata have the spirit subtype, which means they can be affected by spells that specifically target spirits, such as protection from spirits and invisibility to spirits. Their human ancestry makes them humanoids, however, so they are also affected by spells such as charm person and hold person.
Divine Soul: Devata receive a +2 racial bonus on Will saves. A Devata’s mind is their own.
Focused: +2 racial bonus on Concentration checks. Devata are good at focusing their minds.
Favoured: Devata receive a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks when interacting with followers of their culture’s primary religion, and with servants of their patron. In a contemporary campaign, this bonus would apply to Outsiders of the character’s alignment.
Steadfast: Devata are girded against fear. They receive a +2 sacred bonus on Will saving throws against fear and despair effects. If the Devata has an ability to bolster the courage of other characters (such as a Paladin’s aura of courage), the bonus to saving throws they grant increases by +2 for characters that share their alignment.
Blessings of the Upper Kingdom: Once per day, the Devata may cast one of the following as a spell-like ability (CL=hit dice): Guidance, Resistance, or Virtue. The Devata may use any of these spell-like abilities once per day, but once it is used, all three are unavailable.
Favoured Class: Favoured Soul or Monk (If core only)

Here's some racial feats:

The Path of Heaven (racial)
You are an exemplar of your progenitor deity’s teachings, and your connection to the Upper Kingdom is improved.
Prerequisites: Alignment that matches your patron deity, Devata, Base Will Save +5, Wisdom 15+, Charisma 13+.
Benefit: You may use your spell-like abilities once per day each. Additionally, divine spells cast by casters that follow your patron deity are treated as empowered when cast on you. Spells you cast on yourself do not benefit from this effect.

Believer (regional)
You have faith in the providence of Lord Astur, which gives you uncanny good fortune.
Benefit: You gain a +1 luck bonus to all saving throws and a +1 luck bonus to AC, so long as you maintain your faith. You gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (Asturism) checks.

Denier (general)
Your conviction in your beliefs enables you to resist the magic of “false” religions.
Prerequisites: Believer, Charisma 13+
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against Divine effects that do not come from your religion. Your Divine spells are cast at +1 caster level. Beneficial Divine spells from another source always fail on you (treat as Harmless).

True Believer (general)
Your utter belief in the providence of Lord Astur enables you to survive situations many would not.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13+, Believer
Benefit: Once per day you can declare a “Moment of Faith” and take the better of two d20 rolls when making a saving throw. You gain a +2 bonus on all Charisma related skill checks with other followers of Astur.

Smite Infidel (general)
Your loathing for those who espouse opposing beliefs is so great you can channel that hate into a powerful attack.
Prerequisites: Charisma 13+, Believer, membership in the Diamond Order
Benefit: Once day you can attempt to smite an infidel (someone who gains divine abilities from another source to yours, or a servant of such a divine source) with a normal melee attack. You add your Charisma modifier (if positive) to your attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per character level. If you accidentally smite someone who is not an infidel, the smite has no effect, but it is still used up for the day.

Utter Denial (general) -under revision-
You utterly deny the power of other divine powers.
Prerequisites: Charisma 15+, Base Will save +6, Denier.
Benefit: You gain spell resistance of 11+ your character level against divine spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities deriving from divine sources other than that of your deity.
You may use your Will saving throw against all such abilities, instead of the normal saving throw
Your beneficial divine abilities only work on characters who worship your deity and creatures incapable of worship (such as animals).

Cure the Faithful (general)
Your divine abilities are more potent on those that share your faith.
Prerequisites: Believer, Charisma 13+, Wisdom 15+
Benefit: Your beneficial divine spells are cast at +1 caster level when cast on those that share your faith. Spells that have a limit on the effect based on caster level have this limit increased by 1 (such as cure spells, or divine favour).

Rally the Faithful (general)
Your faith and piety inspire those who share your devotion.
Prerequisites: Believer, True Believer, Charisma 15+, Wisdom 13+, Base Will Save +4
Benefit: Characters within 20 feet who follow the same patron deity or philosophy as you gain a +2 morale bonus on Will saving throws against compulsion and fear effects.
If you channel divine energy as a standard action, the radius increases to 50 feet for a number of rounds equal to 1+ your Charisma modifier (if positive), and you grant followers of your faith within your aura a +1 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls, and you double the morale bonuson Will saves.

The last few feats are also regional feats for normal humans from the Astur Region.

Last edited:

Remove ads