• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thri-kreen question

SpuneDagr

Explorer
I'm a bit confused by the MM2's entry for the Thri-kreen.
It says...
Blah blah blah When using the Psionics Handbook, apply the following psionic abilities to a thri-kreen. At will-chameleon, know direction; 1/day-displacement, lesser metaphysical weapon. Manifester 10th; save DC 8 + power level.
Attack/Defense modes: ego whip, mind thrust/thought shield, empty mind. blah blah blah.

A thri-kreen manifests powers, and gains additional attack and defense modes, as if it were a psychic warrior or psion with Psychometabolism as its primary discipline.

What does that last sentance mean? Do they have levels in psion in addition to those powers? Why say that it gains additional attack and defense modes?

Savage Species says the exact same thing.

Last edited:

Pagan priest

First Post
SpuneDagr said:
It says...

A thri-kreen manifests powers, and gains additional attack and defense modes, as if it were a psychic warrior or psion with Psychometabolism as its primary discipline.

What does that last sentance mean? Do they have levels in psion in addition to those powers? Why say that it gains additional attack and defense modes?

As a psionic thri-kreen gains racial hit dice, it gains attack and defense modes, etc.

The way I read it, the psionic Thri-Kreen get to treat their Hit Die as levels in Psionic Warrior, as stated above. In other words, a level 1 Psionic Thri-Kreen Psionic Warrior would be treated as a level 3 Psionic Warrior for all intents and purposes.
Magius out.

SpuneDagr said:
It says...
Blah blah blah When using the Psionics Handbook, apply the following psionic abilities to a thri-kreen. At will-chameleon, know direction; 1/day-displacement, lesser metaphysical weapon. Manifester 10th; save DC 8 + power level.
Attack/Defense modes: ego whip, mind thrust/thought shield, empty mind. blah blah blah.

It means WotC made the same mistake three times in a row. It doesn't apply if you're using the MM II/Savage Species version, despite the text.

Of course, you should use the lower CR/LA non-psionic version, even if you're planning on being a psychic warrior. I don't think free defense modes are worth 3 or so levels.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Y'know those save DC's?

It acts as if they're Psychometabolic....

I'm pretty sure that's all it means. It gives you the ability score that Thri-Kreen use to govern their racial psionic powers.

I could be wrong, but....

Remove ads