Thrilling Tales Pulp meets Expedition to Castle Ravenloft Horror

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
WmRAllen67 said:
I just had a flashback to the 1979 movie "Love at First Bite", when the Soviets nationalized Dracula's Castle...

"In three days the Woman's Gymnastic Team will be arriving with vaulting horse, balance beam and Nadia Comaneche. Either you spend the rest of your life in an efficiency apartment with seven dissidents and one toilet, or you gather your aristocratic :] :] :] :] together and split!"

Hmmm. Green Ronin's 1970s d20 Modern sourcebook Damnation Decade + Expedition to Castle Ravenloft perhaps....

Walt C

Explorer
jaerdaph said:
I think the PCs (and major new NPCs, like the Nazi Gestapo agent) will have to be statted out to match up with Strahd. (maybe even pre-generated archetypes? - this will probably be a one-shot anyway, like a late night horror movie).

Have you checked out Thrilling Tales: Nazis? There are quite a few stat blocks for various types of Nazi as well as German weapons and vehicles.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Walt C said:
Have you checked out Thrilling Tales: Nazis? There are quite a few stat blocks for various types of Nazi as well as German weapons and vehicles.

Yes, it's perfect for this - I've been a Secret Squadron member since day one. :)

BTW, Excellent job on the Scientific Detective and Monster Hunter AdCs, Walt. I can't wait to use these. :)

HFlashman

First Post
Do any advanced class PDFs exist for Arcane or Clerical spell-users in the pulp genre? How about for psi-users?

Or should I just utilize the Advanced Classes from D20 Mod?

I do believe that you are right and the Sun Sword shall be retained.

Once I begin modifying the adventure I will post the mods on this forum. It will be set just prior to the Great War in the Romanian Carpathians utilizing real-world history with a low-magic feel. Any modifications I do will be done with that setting in mind and so may not be useful to all Game Masters.

Walt C

Explorer
HFlashman said:
Do any advanced class PDFs exist for Arcane or Clerical spell-users in the pulp genre? How about for psi-users?

Or should I just utilize the Advanced Classes from D20 Mod?

I do believe that you are right and the Sun Sword shall be retained.

Once I begin modifying the adventure I will post the mods on this forum. It will be set just prior to the Great War in the Romanian Carpathians utilizing real-world history with a low-magic feel. Any modifications I do will be done with that setting in mind and so may not be useful to all Game Masters.

d20 Past has a Spiritualist class, which fills the clerical niche.

Thrilling Tales has the Mesmerist (hypnotic control) AdC.

The Imperial Age will be releasing Imperial Age Magick soon, which includes the Hermetic Disciple AdC (which I think would still work well in the Pulp Era). A Medium AdC is also in the works.

Walt

lmpjr007

Explorer
Well if you need more pulp feats, we just released Pulp Feats. Here is the write up on it:

This supplement is perfect addition to fans of the Pulp and Neo-Pulp genre and games. The Pulp Feats supplement has over 70 feats that are perfect to be used in classic Pulp and Neo-Pulp based d20 Modern game. This 12 page PDF is just the sort of thing needed for GMs to add depth to any great Pulp and Neo-Pulp d20 Modern campaign world including Haven: City of Bronze D20 Pulp setting and gaming session. Written by Chris Field & Louis Porter Jr. Available at Here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=15160

HFlashman

First Post
Ok, its been two weeks since I bought the book and I have this to say. As written the book is unusable as a pulp or modern era game. I am still running the "campaign" as a pulpish adventure set in 1911 but I tossed most of the combat encounters with undead and replaced them with insane villagers ( maniac template from the D20 Modern Menace Manual) who eventually become undead with the same stats as Strahd Zombies. Deathlocks ( stupid name and totally unimaginative, undead spellcasters!! how original!) are now just shot-gun toting Zombies and most of the keyed encounters are gone.

As the game is written its just not scary...Horror relies upon the unknown and your inablity to be an effectual guardian of your own destiny....killing Zombie after Zombie is rather boring. Varikov remains the same ( use the Swat ( Fast/Tough) class combo from the Menace Manual, big game3 hunter from Adamant if you have it) and is totally creepy, particularly if you have him working in concert with the Gypsies.

Last week one of my players was more than happy to go for a roll in the hay with 3 exotic raven-haired Vistani, failing his after-glow Fort Check he fell asleep only to waken to Varikov administering a sleep potion and then trying to tie the naked PC up.

Even when I run it as a standard D&D adventure I will change most of the encounters. Kind of dissappointed inthe adventure storyline and plot but the tactical maps for Combat encounters are quite AWESOME!

Remove ads