• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Throwing a non-thrown weapon

pollochicken

First Post
In a recent game, one of my players wanted to throw his sword at an enemy running away. He did it using the rules of a heavy thrown weapon and normal damage, which we knew didn't seem correct but we could not think of anything else to do. Are there any rules concerning throwing a non throwing weapon (or anything else for that matter) at someone as an attack?

On Puget Sound

First Post
Throwing a sword is no different that throwing a chair, an enraged badger or a beer stein. Improvised thrown weapon, DEX vs AC, no proficiency bonus, range 5/10, 1d4+DEX damage. A kind GM would allow the sword's magical enhancement and properties to apply.

If the character is going to do this regularly, you might allow "weapon proficiency: improvised" or a "throw anything" feat to allow a +2.

Regarding using STR instead of DEX for some large thrown objects, trating them as Heavy Thrown improvised weapons, that would be a house rule but I see nothing wrong with it. If you do so, it would be reasonable to treat all two handed or versatile weapons as Heavy Thrown Improvised.

Magical throwing weapons return to hand after thrown, but I don't know that someone enchanting a longsword or halberd would bother including auto-return in the magic. Maybe this is one of the few cases where a swordmage's swordbond actually makes a difference.

Thundershield

First Post
Regarding using STR instead of DEX for some large thrown objects, trating them as Heavy Thrown improvised weapons, that would be a house rule but I see nothing wrong with it. If you do so, it would be reasonable to treat all two handed or versatile weapons as Heavy Thrown Improvised.
While I agree for the most part with the poster above, this one part I'd handle differently. If it's a relatively handy item - something you can throw with one hand, I'd let it count as a Light Thrown. Bigger things requiring two hands to comfortably throw would be Heavy Thrown.

That's just my rule of thumb, though, and splendid answer, Puget.

Do note that an improvised thrown weapon must weigh 1lb. Anything larger or smaller then that must be left up to the DM. This time it was a sword, next time it might be a rock, but I doubt that anyone thinks that throwing a sword is the same a throwing a rock or even a 12lb Maul.

pollochicken

First Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. Puget, you're advice seems to be exactly what I was looking for and I think it will work great the next time this comes up. Thanks again.

ofalltrades

First Post
Do you guys think that the Dmg should change if im throwing something heavy. I mean as it stands now.

Thrown bottle 1d4 dmg
Thrown greatsword 1d4 dmg.

that just seems off to me.

Kestrel

Explorer
There's a magic item that lets you do this as an encounter power. Hand Slot Dwarven Throwers. (I think thats the name) Allows you to chuck a non-ranged weapon as a ranged basic attack, adding str mods like a Heavy Thrown Weapon.

Mort_Q

First Post

Only in that it should be a lot harder to hit someone with a thrown sword. ;)

Personally... if they PCs start throwing swords around, I'd have the NPCs pick 'em up and attack them with 'em.

-1 to hit and +1 to damage per pound sound fair? :hmm:

Do you guys think that the Dmg should change if im throwing something heavy. I mean as it stands now.

Thrown bottle 1d4 dmg
Thrown greatsword 1d4 dmg.

Actually, as it stands now you cannot throw a greatsword as an improvised thrown weapon. The damage doesnt need to change, we simply either need rules for throwing objects of differing weights, or we will have to rely on DMG page 42 and DM discretion.

Actually, as it stands now you cannot throw a greatsword as an improvised thrown weapon. The damage doesnt need to change, we simply either need rules for throwing objects of differing weights, or we will have to rely on DMG page 42 and DM discretion.

I think you're being a bit too literal minded about it. I agree, items of drastically different weights may not make suitable improvised weapons, but I really seriously doubt the intention of the "1lb" entry there was to state that ONLY an item of exactly one pound can make an effective thrown improvised weapon.

Beyond that, the weights for weapons in the PHB etc are patently absurd anyway. A 12 lb maul would be utterly impossible to wield in any effective manner whatsoever. You could probably swing it, and someone with a 20 STR could certainly manage to cart it around and make a moderately credible swing with it, but it would be VASTLY inferior to a lighter weapon in every respect. Given that there is nothing realistic about the weights of melee weapons in 4e there is just no point in spoiling people's fun by applying realistic criteria to improvised weapons (thrown or otherwise).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads