• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Throwing enemies

mcgeedis

First Post
Is it possible to lift an enemy and then throw them? I would love to be able to use environment more and I think this would be one way to do so.

For example, pick up an enemy and throw them into a pool of lava, off a cliff, into a pit of spikes or into an area effect spell ("Back into Evard's Tentacles you go!"). Furthermore, what if I want to throw someone into other enemies as a projectile? Granted, you would have to have a high strength modifier, but I can't seem to find anything in the rules about picking up creatures and chucking them, WWE style, and knocking down other opponents.

I know bull rush is an option, but I was looking more from a grappling standpoint. It seems like it could be possible to enter a grapple and make opposed checks somehow to squat lift a dude and huck him x number of feet.

Has anyone done this or is it in the rules anywhere?

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
You could always crib the rules from M&M and modify them as needed.

paraphrased from M&M2e said:
After succesfully grappling an enemy you can lift and throw them 5 feet, for every five points your strength is above that necessary to lift the enemy as a heavy load you throw them an extra 5 feet

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I would strongly recommend checking out the Setting Sun discipline from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.

Barring that, there's the Fling Enemies feat from Races of Stone, but that has a few requirements and I think you need to be at least one (or two?) sizes larger than the enemy you want to throw.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Iron Heroes has options such as Hold Above Head, Slam into Ground, Throw in Direction of Choice, Twist Limb (to impose a penalty on future grapple checks from them), etc. Good stuff to work with, IMO. Running sample combats with my group, (in the required tavern brawl), I had my g/f's Man at Arms locked down for several rounds by a couple of Joe Blow bar patrons while Sneaky Pete tried to spill her guts. Good Times.

Angrygodofmilk

First Post
Here are rules for throwing an opponent written by Skip Williams and presented on the Wizards of the Coast web site.

Toss Your Foe: Make an opposed grapple check as a melee attack. If you succeed, you can literally pick up your foe (provided you can lift your foe's weight). Make a Strength check; if your result is at least 10, you toss your foe 5 feet. For every 5 points your Strength check result exceeds 10, you toss your foe another 5 feet, to a maximum of 25 feet.

I'm not sure why the arbitrary 25 feet maximum distance was added. I would drop it.

irdeggman

First Post
Angrygodofmilk said:
I'm not sure why the arbitrary 25 feet maximum distance was added. I would drop it.

Because it is a "thrown" weapon and he established the range increment at 5 ft. A thrown weapon has a maximum range of 5 x its range increment.

Angrygodofmilk

First Post
irdeggman said:
Because it is a "thrown" weapon and he established the range increment at 5 ft. A thrown weapon has a maximum range of 5 x its range increment.
Oooo! Deliberate rather than arbitrary game design! Me like!

Thanks for pointing that out irdeggman. :cool:

Angrygodofmilk said:
Here are rules for throwing an opponent written by Skip Williams and presented on the Wizards of the Coast web site.

Toss Your Foe: Make an opposed grapple check as a melee attack. If you succeed, you can literally pick up your foe (provided you can lift your foe's weight). Make a Strength check; if your result is at least 10, you toss your foe 5 feet. For every 5 points your Strength check result exceeds 10, you toss your foe another 5 feet, to a maximum of 25 feet.

I don't like the static strength check. It's as easy/hard to throw a halfling as an orc once you have a grip on them?

If this came up in a game, I would rule that any bull rush check performed when you have an enemy grappled can count as a throw. The benefit of throwing would be that you no longer need to move with the enemy to push them farther than five feet, following normal bull rush rules to determine distance. If you have the enemy pinned before you throw them, I would grant a +4 bonus on the bull rush check.

Remove ads