D&D 5E Throwing people!

Valric

First Post
Later today my DM is throwing a unarmed tournament. I tried to find something on tossing people of the same size but found nothing. I was wondering if I could possibly grapple or pick up a person to throw them? If I can how far?

I am a level 5 barbarian and have 18 strength. Totem warrior. This tournament includes a evil and good party. So most likely will be more than a few PC's in on it. I know about shoving people, but I thought throwing matched my character more than shoving.

CTurbo

Explorer
I played a 20Str Goliath Bear Totem Barb who liked to grapple, push, knock over, throw people. The DM was pretty lenient on what he allowed me to do, but I don't think he had specific rules for what I could do. I'm pretty sure he just made it up as we went along. He was really big about rewarding good ideas and also rewarding good rolls. If I already had a creature grappled, and wanted to throw it, I would make a Str check to see how far I could throw it. Anything but a 1 was an auto success. Obviously, the higher the roll, the farther the creature was thrown. It also depended on what I was throwing. I couldn't throw a Human Fighter wearing full plate as far as I could throw a Halfling. The DM was pretty good with this, and there were only a few times I felt like he undercut what I thought I could do. The most epic throw was when I crit my str check while throwing a Skeleton and I threw it out of the battlefield. Probably over 60ft I don't remember. Most of the time, I could only throw a medium creature around 20-30ft if I remember correctly. I liked throwing enemies into walls, off of things, into fire, etc...

Anyway, the best thing to do is to talk to the DM about what he will allow.

Remove ads