• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Throwning weapons

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I have a few questions of throwing weapons.

1) Can I attack with any one handed weapon as an improvised ranged weapon? It says improvised weapons are anything I happen to pick up. I have my Battle Axe in my hand and I want to chuck it that orc over there.

2) If I attack with a magic weapon as an improvised ranged weapon, does it return back to me after the attack?

3) If I attack with a magic weapon as an improvised ranged weapon, does it gain the weapon's enchantment, bonus damage to critical hit, and magic properities?

I'd say yes to all three but I'd only allow the magic properties to carry over for magic enhancement that allow any catergory or weapon.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
1) Can I attack with any one handed weapon as an improvised ranged weapon? It says improvised weapons are anything I happen to pick up. I have my Battle Axe in my hand and I want to chuck it that orc over there.

Sure, but it deals d4 damage and has no proficiency bonus.

2) If I attack with a magic weapon as an improvised ranged weapon, does it return back to me after the attack?

I'd say no, myself. It's not a magic thrown weapon; it's a magic weapon that you are throwing, despite it not being designed for that.

3) If I attack with a magic weapon as an improvised ranged weapon, does it gain the weapon's enchantment, bonus damage to critical hit, and magic properities?

Again, I'd probably say no - you're not throwing a magic battleaxe, you're throwing a magic-battleaxe-shaped lump of metal.

-Hyp.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
AS I read, I see that the returning propery only applies to light thrown and heavy thrown weapons and improvised weapon have no properties by RAW.

As for the enhancement and other stuff, the RAW isn't clear. The catergory tells which weapon group can be enchanted. So the real questions are...

If you use a weapon as an improvise weapon, is it still in the previous weapon group?

Is a magic weapon enhancement with the "Any" catergory allowed or active on a weapon with no weapon group?

James McMurray

First Post
I'd say that the thrown battle axe neither returns nor gains any of its bonuses. If you're looking for a throwable melee weapon there are lots of them that are balanced with that factor in mind.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I have soome more questions

4) If I use the flaming at will power to convert my weapon to fire damage then use it as a improvised ranged weapon, does it deal fire damage?

5) Can I enhance an improvised weapon (+3 frost mug)?

6) Can I enhance a magic item with a weapon enhancement as an improvised weapon?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
4) Yes. Unless your DM says no, it should be.

5) No. Improvised weapons cannot be enhanced as weapons because that is not their primary function. You could make a +3 frost mug; it would keep your beverages cold and tasty in the hotest of environments, and be difficult to dispell. It would not give a bonus to attack or damage (though an amused DM might let it deal cold damage).

6) No, because you can't buy such an item and that's all the Enchant Magic Item ritual allows you to create. A very generous DM (or one who expects to capture your party a lot) might allow it for "Weapon: Any" enhancements but even that's a stretch.

Crazydwarf

First Post
Unfortunatly RAW forbids throwing melee weapons that do not have the heavy/light thrown property. Except in one instance...The Katar :hmm::-S:confused:

Why is this ?
Because improvised thrown weapons weigh 1 lb.
ALL weapons either weigh more or have the heavy/light thrown property attatched to them.
Although one could argue that the 1 lb. Limit is simply an approximation.

That said...The cool factor would make me allow it as a DM and appoint houserules as I see fit.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The Enchant Item ritual says just it turns a normal item into a magic item of you level or lower (PHB 304). So there is where the tule disallowing enchanting a magic weapon as an inprovised weapon

But I still don't see where it says I can't turn a comb (normal improvised weapon) into a +1 magic comb (magic impovised weapon).

The only restrictions I see are:
The item must be a normal item before enhancement (PHB 304)
The item must be the correct catergory (225)
The item must the correct size and weight to be wielded as a weapon (219)

If so the item can be enhanced as a magic weapon and you may add it's enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls, use it's powers, and benefit from it's magic properties (232).

Just in case a future DM use one of those "take your weapons and armor" hook, I can still carry a resounding magic item to fight with for cheap.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd have no problem allowing someone to enchant a non-weapon item, and gaining the bonus on their improvised weapon attacks.

It'd probably even return.

If someone really wants to go out of their way to use a 1d4, 0 proficiency bonus weapon, more power to them. I'd point out that it's a really stupid thing to do though.

Incidentally - a dynamic +3 beer mug would be an awesome item to own.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads