• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thunder Summons: sorcerer attack 17

Target: 1, 2, or 3 creatures
Attack: x vs. y
Hit: . . . and you teleport the target to a space adjacent to your enemy that is nearest to it.

I'm having trouble understanding how this power works. Do you teleport the target as soon as it is hit, or after all the attacks have been resolved?

I'm thinking the former, otherwise, it would have an effect line after the hit line, stating something like: "Teleport each target hit by the attack to a space adjacent to your enemy that is nearest to it." Would it not? I just want to make sure.

Last edited:

Marshall

First Post
Target: 1, 2, or 3 creatures
Attack: x vs. y
Hit: . . . and you teleport the target to a space adjacent to your enemy that is nearest to it.

I'm having trouble understanding how this power works. Do you teleport the target as soon as it is hit, or after all the attacks have been resolved?

I'm thinking the former, otherwise, it would have an effect line after the hit line, stating something like: "Teleport each target hit by the attack to a space adjacent to your enemy that is nearest to it." Would it not? I just want to make sure.

Whats the difference? Functionally, all the attacks happen at the same time you are only changing the order you roll them in. Yes, you can get a small tactical advantage from knowing which ones hit before you teleport the targets. Note that this is the only power where the build rider actually makes the power significantly worse.

keterys

First Post
The way I've seen it played by others, and I think it's probably the best way to do it, is the "all attacks are simultaneous" method - resolve all attacks, then teleport as appropriate.

Marshall - the rider is only a penalty depending how you read the "can" in the rider. If it's an additional option, but not required (the original says you teleport them blah, the rider says you can teleport them blah, not necessarily removing the previous option but adding another), it's fantastic. I've seen that one done differently between the two different chaos sorcerers I've seen use the power.

the Jester

Legend
An "Effect" line will never, AFAIK, say something like "on a hit" or "on a miss". The whole point of an effect line is that it happens whether you hit or miss (or neither, like with Magic Missile).

mneme

Explorer
Jester: untrue. For instance, the Effect line could say "if you hit any targets, X happens" or "teleport as many squares as the number of targets you hit". By putting such a clause in the Effect line, it is clear that it happens once period rather than once per target you hit.

aurance

Explorer
Whats the difference? Functionally, all the attacks happen at the same time you are only changing the order you roll them in. Yes, you can get a small tactical advantage from knowing which ones hit before you teleport the targets. Note that this is the only power where the build rider actually makes the power significantly worse.

It doesn't make it any worse; it makes it better. 1) It says you can teleport the target next to an ally, not that you must. 2) Sometimes you want to teleport an enemy to your defender.

As to the OP, you make an attack roll and apply Hit: results, in sequence, one target after another. Think how you would handle twin strike, for example, only you have to attack separate targets.

Marshall

First Post
It doesn't make it any worse; it makes it better. 1) It says you can teleport the target next to an ally, not that you must. 2) Sometimes you want to teleport an enemy to your defender.

Except you lose the option to teleport the target to the nearest enemy...most of the time you really wanna bunch these guys up.

the Jester

Legend
Jester: untrue. For instance, the Effect line could say "if you hit any targets, X happens" or "teleport as many squares as the number of targets you hit". By putting such a clause in the Effect line, it is clear that it happens once period rather than once per target you hit.

I suppose it's possible- have you seen any examples of this?

aurance

Explorer
Except you lose the option to teleport the target to the nearest enemy...most of the time you really wanna bunch these guys up.

It says you can do the clause. I can see it's a bit syntactically ambiguous, but given that riders don't take away options, rather increase them, I see it as an either or.

Remove ads