• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tianchao Wangguo Chapter 1: Calm before the storm

Nephtys

First Post
ooc: I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to leave this game. I feel absolutely no connection to my character, she's just boring and bland and any attempts to make her more interesting will go against her personality.
I like the setting, but I feel I have nothing to add to the game. So, good bye.

Ariakor

First Post
"Yes, i think so" says your captive. he then describes the place from which they took the glowing stone. "it was a clearing in the wooded hils about a days travel fromhere, on the road between the imperial highway and the village close by this one. its shire stood next to a pond covered with water lilys. Two paths led to two different villages from there." This seems to be the shrine you visited with the farmers on the way to their village. "This is the place from which he took the stone which is still glowing. The other one was situated closer to the entrance to the pathways, at the entrance to a narrow valley in the hills, surrounded by a ring of standing stones and located in the ruins of an old watchtower.. I can lead you to these places."

Gez

First Post
« Alright. Let's not lose time, we have to appease these spirits. We'll start by the nearest shrine, the one near the water lilies. Venerable monk, would you accompany us to perform the cleansing rituals ? »

Ariakor

First Post
The monk smiles. "Sure, but i first have to perform some minor cleansing rituals here before we go. It won't take longer than an hour, i think. If there is nothing else i can do for you, i'll start right away."

Gez

First Post
« Starting right away is the best thing you can do for us -- and more importantly, for the spirits, » says Xu with a small smile.

Ariakor

First Post
About half an hour later, the monk has finished his rituals and is ready to leave with you. Together with your prisoner, you start on your journey back to the other shrine. About an hour before sunset, you reach the clearing after ascending the narrow path you first used to get there. As the sun sets in the east, it is eerily quiet, no insects buzzing around the lake, no birds chirping among the trees. the site pretty much loks like it did when you left, and a faint movement on the other side of the pond is the only indication of this place still being inhabited by its revered spirit.

The monk heads over to the altar and starts spreading his holy instruments on the ground in front of it. your prisoner seems nervous, most of the time looking all around and at no specific place at all, trying to ignore the presence of the spirit on the other side of the clearing.

"If you want to, you can help me with the preparations," says the monk, glancing over his shoulder.

Ariakor

First Post
During the next thirty minutes, the old monk instructs you to help him clean up the place and set up a new altar to the clearing's spirit, while he himself stands at the waters edge and tries to get the spirit to show itself. As the sun sets, you light a few torches around the shrine, calling for the powers of Heaven to cleanse this place from foul corruption. Then, after spreading holy water around the new shrine to re-sanctify it and lighting three bowls of incense on top of it (one aligned to the north, south and east respectively, leaving the area to the west where the spirit has been hiding open), be beginns to chant the holy prayers of the Ancients.

You all form a half-circle around the altar, your prisoner kneeling next to the monk in silent prayer. Only the wind rustling in the branches of the trees can be heard, everything else seems to have fallen silent.

Then the wind grows stronger, the waters of the lake begin to stir and out from under the lily pads, it seems, a humanoid figure rises above the water. Dressed in fine clothingof green and blue silk, draped with small stones and leaves of different shapes and sizes, the figure has resembles a human woman with dark, shoulder-length hair, crystal-green eyes and a pale complexion of unearthly beauty. She carries an unlit lantern in her right hand and a slender blade is dangling on her belt, seemingly made out of crystal and streaks of obsidian.

the spirit seems to be angry at first, but as the monk continues his prayer, now joined by your captive who seems sincerely interested in repenting for his sins commited here, she slowly grows calmer. After offering more incense to the spirit, the monk lays the stone you found with the baoren on the altar before him. "Revered Ancestor," he says, "please forgive the sins which have been commited by those that were lost to the Ways of Heaven and accept the return of this stone as a humble offering from us to amend what has been done to you and your memory."

The silence after those words seems to strech on for minutes as the spirit is focused on the stone, having lost all interest in the world around him. then, she looks up and says "I accept your offer." Looking at all of you, even your prisoner, she continues:"You have done well. Though there is still much to do to clean this place of the stink of corruption, you have been of a great help for me. For without this stone, i would never have been strong enough to withstand the forces of the eternal Shadow pressing closser and closer upon this place. I Thank you all."

Gez

First Post
« We did our duty, and are sorry to have been too late to prevent the offense. Revered spirit, we will have to travel as fast as possible to other holy places that have been attacked, and try to clean the taint there as we have done here. We will stay here for the night, and leave on morrow's dawn. »

Remove ads