Tiefling, Dragonborn : have they gained traction ?

Herschel

Adventurer
No.

Is the answer. Including everything only makes WotC's coffers richer.

Not including things is what makes your game richer.

I think I agree. WotC's goal is to provide as much saleable information to adapt to the widest variety of games. Including everything can be downright silly in many situations you can set up adventures/game worlds in. It can also be unnecessarily draining to the pocketbook, depending on your financial situation, when th emain goal is simply to play a game one enjoys.

Back to OP question: They're here, whether I like them or not (personally, I don't). I prefer Genasi and Deva characters from the "new" races so that's what I play when I go that route. Those are simply the options I happen to like (except the spikey, crystaline "hair").

I wish they wouldn't have used Strength as a secondary attribute for sorcerers (that's the only kluge to cater to dragonborn that I've seen), but otherwise I don't see a biased design- I see a lot of natural synergy.

First of all, the idea of not allowing a "Dragonborn" be able to be a Dragon Sorcerer is pretty silly. Secondly, the flavor of the class is one that emphasizes physical "getting-your-hands-dirty" natural ability- Strength is the way to get there.

Puggins

Explorer
First of all, the idea of not allowing a "Dragonborn" be able to be a Dragon Sorcerer is pretty silly.

Eh? Who said anything about "not allowing" them to be dragon sorcerers? I said that I think they made strength the secondary sorcerer trait to cater to Dragonborn, not to allow dragonborn to take the class and become competent at all. If the secondary stat had been, say, constitution, it would still have had quite a bit of synergy with Dragonborn (+cha, con mod added to surges, breath weapon). Adding a feat like infernal wrath or Gnome Phantasmist would've been all you needed to complete the package and make dragonborn top o' the line dragon sorcerers.

Secondly, the flavor of the class is one that emphasizes physical "getting-your-hands-dirty" natural ability- Strength is the way to get there.

I see no reason why Strength works better than Constitution, which I think would've been more flavorful, at least IMO.

Mechanically, there are already tons of classes that use strength as a primary or secondary stat (9 out of 17), and only a few that use constitution at all, never mind as a primary. Giving Con to the sorcerer would've balanced things out a bit more.

If the secondary stat had been, say, constitution, it would still have had quite a bit of synergy with Dragonborn (+cha, con mod added to surges, breath weapon). Adding a feat like infernal wrath or Gnome Phantasmist would've been all you needed to complete the package and make dragonborn top o' the line dragon sorcerers.

Pardon me, I should have said "not allowed Dragonborn to be the Best Dragon Sorcerers". My mistake.

I see no reason why Strength works better than Constitution, which I think would've been more flavorful, at least IMO.

Mechanically, there are already tons of classes that use strength as a primary or secondary stat (9 out of 17), and only a few that use constitution at all, never mind as a primary. Giving Con to the sorcerer would've balanced things out a bit more.

I have no issue with having more (on percentage) Strength based classes, especially if those Strength based classes include some flavorful Casters rather than 15 flavors on the same Fighting-Man.

Secondly, Giving Con to the Sorcerer would've stepped all over the toes of the Warlock, who is flavor-wise a different caster and should be delineated as such.

Remove ads