• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiefling Paladin/Rogue

malien

First Post
I just had this idea hit me like a ton of bricks, though it isn't even that revolutionary... it just sounds so cool to me. I picture this slender tiefling, in half-heavy armor, with this cloak half-wrapped about him, the hilt of a big sword peeking out, hand resting on it...

But how to actually build one of these, successfully, in game? I'm going to play it, if I can figure out how to make it work. I'm thinking, with a 32-point buy, put 16 into Cha, it'll go down to 14, and then your stat upgrades are going to go right into charisma, aside from that... what feats? Stats? Skills?

I'm thinking Shadowbane Inquisitor from Complete Adventurer as a PrC...

So, what do you think?

malien

First Post
No ideas from anyone? No suggestions? I'd think the people around here ready to find a way to make even the most absurd concept work out. ;)

FireLance

Legend
Bumping after 43 minutes? Patience, young one... :)

Shadowbane Inquisitor is definitely the way to go.

IIRC, Complete Adventurer also has a good feat for paladin/rogues.

You'd probably want to focus on the negotiation skills (Diplomacy, Sense Motive) as well as the sneak (Hide, Move Silently) and perception (Listen, Search, Spot) skills. If you have enough skill points, you might want to go the box-man route (Disable Device, Open Lock) too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm away from my CAdv, but isn't there a feat for Paladin/Rogues to make the levels stack for some purposes... Devoted Inquisitor?

I've always thought Cnst. Benton Fraser would be a Pal/Rgr/Rog. (Though I'd possibly swap the Rogue for Scout, now.)

-Hyp.

RandomPrecision

First Post
I've actually been reading this threat for a while...just thinking...

Definately use Devotional Inquisitor from CAdv, the feat that lets you multiclass back and forth between paladin and rogue, as well as stack levels for smite evil.

Go with a high dex (tiefling will help with that), so you won't need as much armor, with some hide and move silently for the same reason. That should let you use skills with a lower penalty (and sneak attack/smite evil could be pretty deadly against the right creatures).

If you build up your dexterity, you might be able to sacrifice some strength, particularly if you take the weapon finesse feat and use a finesse weapon (I'm rather fond of rapiers, since they have a huge critical threat range). Of course, most holy avenger weapons aren't daggers and rapiers, but your DM might not give you any holy avenger swords anyway.

There's a few different ways you can go with this...I'll think about it tonight.

Edit: Curses, you two beat me to the Devotional Inquisitor feat. I should think less and post more in the future... :(

atom crash

First Post
Devoted Inquisitor allows you to freely multiclass between rogue and paladin. It also allows you to potentially daze a foe for 1 round when you use both sneak attack and smite evil against one opponent. It doesn't allow stacking of multiclass levels for smite like Devoted Performer and Devoted Tracker do.

malien

First Post
Hmmm. The weapon is a good point. Having a high Dex naturally makes me want to use something Weapon Finesseable... but something Weapon Finesseable isn't a big sword, unless we're talking elven court swords, or something, which requires an exotic weapon proficency feat... and this character will be hard up for feats as it is.

Hard to balance my desire for stats. Need a decent wisdom and charisma for Paladin things, want a good dex for AC and hide/move silently and initative, want a decent Con for HPs, want Str for combat and Int for skill points.

Hmmm. What a conundrum. I'm sure I didn't spell that right.

silentspace

First Post
If you want to wear armor and carry a big weapon, forget the weapon finesse. Go two-handed power attack route, make sure you have someone to flank with. Drop the Dex-based skills and focus on Cha-based skills, which are also good for smiting and saves.

silentspace

First Post
Another good way to go with that kind of build is Samurai to Ronin, both from Complete Warrior. Lot of good Cha-based skills on the Ronin's list. And the Samurai's Ki Smite is based on Cha. It also gives you free two-weapon fighting with katana and wakizashi, excellent for switching from two-handed power attack to two-weapon fighting when you have a flanking opportunity.

Remove ads