D&D 5E Tiefling Variants for 5e - Open Discussion

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Do tieflings need subraces? Honestly, the core tiefling just needa rewrite. As it stands, the tiefling is basically built towards being a warlock, and that's about it. I would prefer to see it generalized than a laser focus on a single class.

No it isn't, their stat bonuses are useful for any class that wants a decent charisma or intelligence which means that they would make good warlocks, wizards, sorcerers, bards or the upcoming mystic. They won't be able to start with a strength higher than a 15 with point buy, but even a paladin would be a good pick for a tiefling. Same goes for fighter or rogue if they intend to pick up the spellcasting subclasses. Considering how prevalent fire apparently is in 5e, I'm sure any class would be happy with fire resistance, dark vision is useful, and the spells are a nice bonus for any class.

Mephista

Adventurer
Try looking beyond stats on a character - Having those spells are designed speficially for enhancing the warlock spell options. You can't even use Hellish Rebuke with spell slots unless you're a warlock.

The race itself is designed for the fiend warlock. You can play outside that, but it doesn't change that the race is designed entirely with the warlock in mind, which is kind of iffy.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Try looking beyond stats on a character - Having those spells are designed speficially for enhancing the warlock spell options. You can't even use Hellish Rebuke with spell slots unless you're a warlock.

The race itself is designed for the fiend warlock. You can play outside that, but it doesn't change that the race is designed entirely with the warlock in mind, which is kind of iffy.

And I disagree, while I can understand the tiefling and warlock having a tied history, that certainly doesn't mean that they are focused for the warlock. Hellish Rebuke is just a nod to the 4e tieflings infernal wrath ability, it is a link to their fiendish birthright, not to their need to be a warlock. It's the same as their resistance to fire and darkvision, nothing to do with being a warlock. While WotC may have wanted them to be good warlocks, all that really requires is that they have a Charisma increase, nothing else they have screams warlock, rather, it screams fiendish blood.

Remove ads