• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiefling Warlord for KotS + Extra Skill Challenge

thewok

First Post
Looking at the warlord preview, "Inspiring Word" is in italics, unlike the other two class features. Those italics are most likely not there purely by chance. Perhaps it's a feature that comes later?

Also, nothing about Inspiring Word really screams "this is a healing ability." Maybe it is. But to me, "resilience" implies "increased defense" to me. So, maybe it's an encounter power that increases defenses?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be in there. But, until we get the PHB, we just don't know. Maybe those of you who have access to PHBs can figure this one out?

Victim

First Post
GorTeX said:
The Tiefling doesn't have Commanding Presence either, and has another unmentioned class feature in Tactical Presence. Looks to me like you have a choice of class features but can't take them all...

Commanding Presence gives you the choice of 2 options: Inspiring Presence and Tactical Presence - which is mentioned in the pregen.

Boarstorm

First Post
I can't help but wonder if the two skill challenges in the adventure (well, one in the adventure and this optional one) are so limited in how you can accomplish them because of the almost nonexistant skill rules in the quick-start rules.

If this is all there is to it, I'm going to be really disappointed. This is not what Escape from Sembia reports promised me. :p

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
GorTeX said:
The Tiefling doesn't have Commanding Presence either, and has another unmentioned class feature in Tactical Presence. Looks to me like you have a choice of class features but can't take them all...

Commanding Presence is the Warlord's build choice of which Tactical Presence is a choice.

VannATLC

First Post
I'll use descriptive wording to make it clear the PC's can interfere, and prevent the damage being dealt to the other PCs.. no idea how I'll treat the Heal. That must be a use described somewhere, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Boarstorm said:
I can't help but wonder if the two skill challenges in the adventure (well, one in the adventure and this optional one) are so limited in how you can accomplish them because of the almost nonexistant skill rules in the quick-start rules.

If this is all there is to it, I'm going to be really disappointed. This is not what Escape from Sembia reports promised me. :p

Yes, this isn't "let's get together and go creative"

it's "roll this, roll that".

Lurker59

First Post
Looking at the warlord it also seems like the light shield isn't being added to its reflex defense. Also, though this is more nitpicking than anything, the Scorching Burst should probably be +5 versus reflex at 2nd level, not +4.

Vaeron

Explorer
Nikodemus said:
"Build Options: Inspiring warlord, tactical warlord

Think you nailed it right there... Suspect the word "option" is key. Makes sense that Inspiring Word would go to CHA-geared Inspring option warlords.

Eldorian

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Yes, this isn't "let's get together and go creative"

it's "roll this, roll that".

Hmm. I dunno. Maybe the creativity is figuring out what you can do that will complete the challenge, and the listed skills are guidelines. I'll need to read the DMG before making judgements. I have no idea how I'd ever figure that using the
heal
skill would complete the challenge in question, but maybe more creative players might.

Vendark

First Post
Andor said:
Although this: "You can channel your fury to gain a +1 power bonus to your next attack roll against an enemy that hit you since your last turn. If your attack hits and deals damage, add an extra +1 damage." is an incredibly long-winded and awkward way to say +1 Att and Damage.

Some powers can miss and still do damage, so the extra wordiness isn't entirely wasted.

Remove ads