• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tieflings are Draenai

NewfieDave

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Emo is basically the new "goth" culture kids are into these days. Though they would disagree, and say it's their own invention. But let's look at the progression as far as I see it...

In my day we had "head bangers" (listen to Metallica/Primus/MegaDeth) which turned into "grunge" (when Nirvana/Pearl Jam/STP came out) which turned into "goth" (when Marilyn Manson came out) which turned into "emo" (because of bands such as Fall Out Boy)

I think that is a pretty accurate progression to my recollection :)

Edit: Forgot as an honorable mention, The Cure. Also a good example of goth, though that is even before Marilyn Manson and even Metallica, in the 80s, before "goth" was a common term for that style of music/culture...

While I agree that the genres you reference show a progression of counter-culture trends, it makes me want to disembowel myself to see Megadeth in the same sentence as the word emo.

The counter-culture trend has been more like this:

Punk/Metal - Loud, rebellious, and badass
Grunge - Similar to metal, but with heavy overtones of heroine abuse
Goth - Less about music and more about eye shadow and bad poetry
Emo - Similar to goth, but with heavy overtones of valium abuse and/or whiney bitch singing

What pisses me off about emo people is they think being sad/indifferent and cutting themselves means they're in touch with their emotions. WRONG! If you were in touch with your emotions you'd deal with your problems and take the good in life with the bad.

Aristotle

First Post
WAY off topic here... but Green Day was pretty punk before they sold out (years ago).

The Goth thing happened before Headbangers came to pass. So did the Punk thing. Goths and punks shared an era (along with the mods, and some smaller subcultures).

Quite a few Headbangers fell off to Grunge. I witnessed that. I myself moved from headbanger to hippie (before the whole retro-hippie thing got cool in this mid nineties), and then broke off and became completely eclectic. MY ipod has everything from Johny Cash and Del Shannon, to CCR and The Doors, to 50 Cent and Kanye. The majority of it is saved for unsigned music that avoids the top 40 deathtrap of big radio... Bekay, Matisyahu, Jimmie's Chicken Shack, Regina Spektor...

When I was younger I always wanted to build an RPG around social cliques. Maybe not original, but I've always been fascinated with subculture.

NewfieDave

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Green Day and Blink 182 ISN'T punk.

Marilyn Manson IS NOT goth.

And Korn and Linkin Park definitely AREN'T metal.

They're POP music pure and simple, in the same category as Britney Spears and whoever else. Now most of them are in fact better than the last ones mentioned, but they aren't bands of those respective genres.

Now it's a hard distinction for those who aren't involved with punk or goth or metal, to tell what's in those genres and what's pop music. But those who are, know what's really in the genres.

By definition pop music is any type of music that is popular. Metallica was the #1 concert draw in the 90s, so TECHNICALLY, they are pop music. I wouldn't say that in front of Hetfield though...

When most people rip on pop music, they are really referring to a sub-genre like bubble gum pop, or boy band pop.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Some of the tiefling's accent has Indian sub-continental intonations so I wonder if it's a hybrid accent or an actress from either Russia or India doing the other's accent?

NewfieDave said:
By definition pop music is any type of music that is popular. Metallica was the #1 concert draw in the 90s, so TECHNICALLY, they are pop music. I wouldn't say that in front of Hetfield though...
I would say that in front of Hetfield.

Skade

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
In my day we had "head bangers" (listen to Metallica/Primus/MegaDeth) which turned into "grunge" (when Nirvana/Pearl Jam/STP came out) which turned into "goth" (when Marilyn Manson came out) which turned into "emo" (because of bands such as Fall Out Boy)

I think that is a pretty accurate progression to my recollection :)

Edit: Forgot as an honorable mention, The Cure. Also a good example of goth, though that is even before Marilyn Manson and even Metallica, in the 80s, before "goth" was a common term for that style of music/culture...

Oy! No, you have it all wrong. Goth began in the early 80's with Joy Division, and was followed by bands like Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, and the Cure. Goth wasnot an outgrowth of metal, and Marylin Manson was derivative of many many bands and a culture he grew up in.

Trench

First Post
*Puts on High Fidelity Hat*

The precursors of "Goth" was the New Wave bands. Like Skade said, Cure, Joy Division, etc. New Wave was Punk and Disco having a baby. Personally, I think Goth is a pretty nebulous label used to latch onto too many things. I'd say Marilyn Manson has more in common with Glam than anything else.

Heck, Blondie was considered punk. She even played at CBGB's with the Ramones. Iggy and the Stooges are more "pure" punk than the candy-coated Blink-182 (not a dig by the way, all music evolves and the like...)

Fun tongue in cheek statement of a friend of mine was to point at a Hot Topic and say "That is the vinyl-coated hollow shell of what Punk once was."

"Now burning that down? That's what punk *IS*."

What would people classify the new indy stuff? Decemberists and Blonde Redhead and the like?

uh... yeah, back on topic. I kind like the more fey-like gnome. The goofyness works in the way we sort of play them anyway. And of course... it's all just an act.Never warmed to tielfings though.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Finally somebody brings up a realistic timeline for Goth and some decent music.

I think Goths, like hippies in the 80s and 90s, just ... grew up. Not: "Up and out of the culture" but mellowed enough to make the culture part of the everyday, there but not outre.

It was very 80s, but there's always the darker emotional outcaste element, so there will always be goth-type trends and people. I like to think that goth has been around a very long time ... the Shelleys and their contemporaries, Edgar Alan Poe, etc. The Southern Cult of ancient America ...

My wife and I are actually digging some of the emo/goth cross-pollination and resurgence among the younger crowd. All the kindergoths running around. She bought a scarf at Claire's of all places, the other day.

But if you want to see Indian/Russian confusion, check out the Draenai ... the menfolk do the Tunak Tunak dance and they all ride elephants.

Alliance represent!

--fje

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads