D&D General Tieflings

Longspeak

Adventurer
As a DM, I've recently begun to codify some rules about Tieflings, to allow for expanded options.

First... They're not a species. They're a 'heritage' any Species can inherit. You, for example, be an infernal halfing, or an infernal half-elf. "Tiefling" becomes the default for an infernal human.

Second.... Some level of infernal appearance is required, but Players can pick and chose. Still codifying this part especially as it might relate to abilities. But skin-tone, possible skin effects, horns, and digitigrade legs with hooves are among the options.

Third... pick and chose abilities. I'm adapting a sort of 'point' system from another game, and players can pick and choose with that from their species or their two species, as well as their heritage. I'm trying not to add to much ability, but to introduce some variety of choice, to better differentiate between characters.

It's worked nicely for me with the "Elemental Heritage PCs" (replacing Genasi). The leader of the mercenary group is a former PC (The player wanted a new character), who is an elf/human with air elemental heritage, and when the player made the character she nicely detailed her half elf, half human background, and then her elemental expression, to make her feel like a real part of the world.

Temporalgod

Villager
As a DM, I've recently begun to codify some rules about Tieflings, to allow for expanded options.

First... They're not a species. They're a 'heritage' any Species can inherit. You, for example, be an infernal halfing, or an infernal half-elf. "Tiefling" becomes the default for an infernal human.

Second.... Some level of infernal appearance is required, but Players can pick and chose. Still codifying this part especially as it might relate to abilities. But skin-tone, possible skin effects, horns, and digitigrade legs with hooves are among the options.

Third... pick and chose abilities. I'm adapting a sort of 'point' system from another game, and players can pick and choose with that from their species or their two species, as well as their heritage. I'm trying not to add to much ability, but to introduce some variety of choice, to better differentiate between characters.

It's worked nicely for me with the "Elemental Heritage PCs" (replacing Genasi). The leader of the mercenary group is a former PC (The player wanted a new character), who is an elf/human with air elemental heritage, and when the player made the character she nicely detailed her half elf, half human background, and then her elemental expression, to make her feel like a real part of the world.
I get what you're saying, it's like how Elf Tieflings are called Fey'ri and Orc Tieflings are called Tanarukks, at the end of the day they're just Tieflings but under a different name.

In general I like an "anime" level of inhuman-ness. Like, short horns, maybe a tail. Normal flesh tones.

In practice, I like to base characters off of found art, and a lot of that is more inhuman than my baseline preference, so red- or grey-skinned tieflings show up in actual practice.

That is pretty much my take. Some characters I like having hooves, some just need to have feet.

Tail: Mandatory. Doens't matter if it's thick (Thicc?) or thin with a little spade end. Like with dragon people, if there's no tail, what are you even doing?

Horns: Yes. One minimum, but go nuts. Give me a styracosaurus lady. Again, if you're making a devil person, what are you doing not having horns?

Legs and feet? I can give or take the digitigrade legs and hooves. Either is fine.

Skin: If a human can have it, a tiefling can't. Give me colors like a rainbow on psychedelics. Red and purples and blues, obviously, but can I interest you in yellow?

I don't go for the random mutations. Especially not that table where the terrible, hellish mutations you could roll up are things actual humans have/do.

Generally, I like the 4e standardization coupled with 'yes, and'.

Here's a question for the group...scales on tieflings or no?

Temporalgod

Villager
That is pretty much my take. Some characters I like having hooves, some just need to have feet.

Here's a question for the group...scales on tieflings or no?
I'm fine with it, I mean if all important parts are covered by scales your character wouldn't technically need to wear clothes, the scales would be like a chainmail bikini except that it's actually part of your body.

Having played a tiefling bard:

1674163654986.png

Fish, lizard or musical?

Remove ads