• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tier 1 Sweetspot for One Off (Free RPG Day)

Best Level for New and Experienced Players

Votes: 18 38.3%

Votes: 2 4.3%

Votes: 23 48.9%

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Poll closed .

cas206

Villager
I'm going DM a four hour 5E session on Free RPG Day. I'll have Adventure League Pregen characters and use AL rules, but adventure/session will not be official (because we do so much AL on a weekly basis). Looking for opinions on what Tier 1 character level allows experienced players some options but won't overwhelm brand new players.

Shiroiken

Legend
I believe you ALWAYS start new players off at level 1. Otherwise, they'll never enjoy the levels below where they've started. As for experienced players, they can consider it a challenge of working with less, not to mention trying to survive the deadliness of level 1. Besides, with pre-gen characters, most experienced players aren't going to be super happy anyway (almost every player I know hates pre-gens).

If you really feel that level 1 is too little, I'd avoid going above level 2, because level 3 is where you start getting lots of options due to sub-classes, which might overwhelm the new players.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I second the "always start at 1st level" approach. Low levels are where the bulk of actual character development takes place in my experience. And especially for those first learning how to use the system in the first place, there's no better place to start - nothing in the game is simpler for a newbie than a 1st level PC.

If you're worried about mortality, have extra pregens ready to replace any who fall.

SwivSnapshot

First Post
I'm going to go for the contrarian pick- level 3, or even level 4 if you are running a difficult adventure.

Levels 1 and 2 are fragile- I've had players with 30 years of gaming experience go down in the first round of combat, then have sit out the rest of combat because no one was able to heal them. If you do go with level 1, definitely do what Ath-kethin suggests and have plenty of back-ups ready. Use twins or triplets so the player doesn't have to settle for the character no one else wanted to play and they will waste less time have to learns a new set of abilites.

Since free RPG day is about introducing, or re-introducing, players to the game, level 3 the best overview of the class basics since all of the classes have reached their chosen path at that point.

Good luck and thanks for taking the time to participate and run a game!

aco175

Legend
With pregens, I would go with level 1, but have level 2 on the opposite side already set up. After an encounter or two the PCs will be ready to level up and having level 2 all set can speed things up a bit. It will also make the players feel a bit more powerful and I think make the game more enjoyable, hopefully enough to make them long-time gamers.

S'mon

Legend
If this is aimed primarily at new players, I would say use level 1 pregens and keep the threat level down - use mostly CR 1/8 foes with a few CR 1/4 and *maybe* a CR 1/2 BBEG. I'd also suggest having level 2 sheets ready so you can level them up midway through the game.

If aimed at veteran players and you want to give lots of options, use level 3.

hastur_nz

First Post
I love starting campaigns at first level, but for me a one of is different i would go with level 3 characters for all. While I've never run a one off for new players, I still think many would enjoy a fuller set of options without being overwhelmed and even if they miss stuff you can help them out and dont have to run deadly encounters against them. You want them to have fun and want to play again. Somewhat experienced players are fine with level 1 starts when they know it begins a campaign, but for a one off people like to have enough interest out of the gate, not just squishing goblins and suchlike (for experienced players, i run around level 4 give or take, for a one-off).
Really though, it depends on if you have any idea ahead of time how many newbies you will get, and if they might get the chance to play those PCs again, or if it genuinely is throw-away. Players love continuity.

Li Shenron

Legend
Each of those levels has its merits:

Lv1 is obviously the simplest, least amount of stuff to manage per character.
Lv2 usually gives you a significant survivability bump, or at least a percieved one.
Lv3 is where everyone has chosen their main path (archetype), character concept is most often settled at this point.
Lv4 grants the first (or second) feat, increasing characters variety.

But when mixing new and experienced players, you can't go wrong with Lv1. The starting complexity is already high especially for some race & class combinations. Considering it's a one-off, the experienced players can focus on protecting/mentoring the beginners, or can try out a different class than usual.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads