• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiered Barbarian

arnon

Explorer
Disclaimer: I built this class to be played in Midnight (the excellent setting by FFG) and inspired by the new classes they presented in the Midnight book (mainly Defender and Wildlander) i wanted to create a barbarian that had a choice as to his development... this is the result.

Inspiration (and "pilfiration") mainly from: Ultimate Barbarian and ConanRPG (Mongoose).

As if I need say: please comment, hack, smash, and break. :)

(i also attached a file)

===============

Alignment: Any non lawful
Hit die: d12
Starting Equipment: 3d4x10 vp.
Class Skills
The barbarian’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
Level	Bab	        Fort   Ref     Will 	Special
1st	+1	         +2	+0	+0	Barbarian Trait
2nd	+2	         +3	+0	+0	Barbarian Trait
3rd	+3	         +3	+1	+1	Suck it Up 1/day
4th	+4	         +4	+1	+1	Heart +2
5th	+5	         +4	+1	+1	Barbarian Trait
6th	+6/+1	         +5	+2	+2	Endurance
7th	+7/+2	         +5	+2	+2	Damage reduction 1/—
8th	+8/+3	         +6	+2	+2	Barbarian Trait
9th	+9/+4	         +6	+3	+3	Heart +4, Suck it Up 2/day
10th	+10/+5	         +7	+3	+3	Damage reduction 2/—
11th	+11/+6/+1	 +7	+3	+3	Barbarian Trait
12th	+12/+7/+2 	 +8	+4	+4	Diehard
13th	+13/+8/+3	 +8	+4	+4	Damage reduction 3/—
14th	+14/+9/+4	 +9	+4	+4	Barbarian Trait, Heart II
15th	+15/+10/+5	 +9	+5	+5	Suck it Up 3/day
16th	+16/+11/+6/+1	 +10	+5	+5	Damage reduction 4/—
17th	+17/+12/+7/+2	 +10	+5	+5	Barbarian Trait
18th	+18/+13/+8/+3	 +11	+6	+6	Tireless
19th	+19/+14/+9/+4	 +11	+6	+6	Damage reduction 5/—, Heart III
20th	+20/+15/+10/+5	 +12	+6	+6	Barbarian Trait

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the barbarian.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).
Suck it Up (Ex): Even the mightiest of blows might feel like just a sting to the barbarian. Upon reaching 3rd level, when a barbarian is hit but before he knows for how much damage he is hit, he may decide to halve that amount of damage. The barbarian may do this once per day at 3rd level, twice per day at 9th level, and three times per day upon reaching 15th level.
Heart (Ex): The barbarian is a fierce and brave warrior, not easily dissuaded from death or danger. At 4th level, he gains a +2 plus two bonus on all Will saving throws against fear spells and spell-like effects. At 9th level, this bonus rises to +4. At 14th level, the barbarian reduces the level of any fear-like effect by one step. At 19th level, the barbarian reduces the level of any fear-like effect by two steps.
Endurance: Barbarians receive Endurance as a bonus feat at 6th level. If he already has Endurance he instead gains Diehard.
Damage Reduction (Ex): At 7th level, the barbarian gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury from each blow or attack. Subtract 1 from the damage the barbarian takes each time his is dealt damage from a weapon or natural attack. At 10th level and every three barbarian levels thereafter (13th, 16, 19th), this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.
Diehard: Barbarians receive Diehard as a bonus feat at 12th level. If he already has Diehard he automatically gains half his level in hit points.
Tireless (Ex): A barbarian never, ever, becomes fatigue. This ability applies to all sources of fatigue such as after rage, or from forced march.
Barbarian Trait (Ex): At 1st and 2nd level and every three levels thereafter (5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th), a barbarian gains a special trait of his choice from among the following. Unless otherwise noted, all barbarian traits are extraordinary abilities.
Barbarian Traits
Barbarian traits are organized into tiers. Tier 1 traits have no prerequisites. Tier 2 traits each have one specific tier 1 ability as a prerequisite, and tier 3 traits have either a specific tier 1 trait and a specific tier 2 trait as prerequisites, or another tier 3 trait as a prerequisite.
Tier 1 Traits
Fury: The barbarian enters a state of furious anger that grant him +1 morale bonus to attack, damage, and initiative rolls for 3 + Constitution modifier rounds. He may enter Fury once per day per four barbarian levels. Entering Fury is a free action.
Heart of Wolverine: Hurting the barbarian is a sure way to make him angrier. Whenever a barbarian is dropped to half or less hit points, a barbarian gains +2 bonus to Strength and Dexterity.
Quick Stride: The barbarian’s speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor or light armor, and not carrying a medium or heavy load. A barbarian may select this trait multiple times, increasing his speed by +10 feet each time; however, she may not choose this trait twice in a row.
Steel Eyes: The barbarians’ eyes are hard and cold as steel. Up to once per round, the barbarian may perform the demoralize opponent action as a free action.
Thick Skinned: The barbarian gains energy resistance of 2 against fire and cold. This ability may be taken multiple times, each time the resistance increases by +1.
Uncanny Dodge: The barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
War Cry: Shouting in exultation, the barbarian gains +1 morale bonus to attack and damage on a charge, and if hit, the target must succeed on a will save (10 + 1/2 barbarian level + Charisma) or be shaken for the next 1d6 rounds.

Tier 2 Traits
Fearsome Shout (Requires War Cry): The barbarian looses a fearsome shout that might cause some to stop in their tracks. All opponents within 60 feet who fail a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 barbarian’s level + barbarian’s Cha modifier) are shaken for 1d6 rounds and take 1 point of sonic damage per barbarian level. A barbarian can opt not to deal damage if he wishes so. This is a mind-affecting, sonic effect. This ability may be used once per day.
Furious Blow (Requires Fury): Barbarians are unmatched when it comes to raw blow exchange. Once per day as a full round action he can use this ability after determining if the attack hit or not. The extra damage is 1d6 per 2 barbarian levels. A barbarian can't use furious blow with light weapons, can't deal nonlethal damage with that attack, and can't use furious blow more than once per round.
Overland Stride (Requires Quick Stride): When using Survival and performing tasks that normally require her to move at half-speed (such as tracking, foraging, or concealing tracks), the barbarian may move at normal speed without penalty.
Rage (Requires Fury): A barbarian can fly into a rage the same number of times per day as he can enter Fury, these two abilities, in fact, share the same pool. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter.
Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a barbarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.
Stamina (Requires Thick Skinned): Whenever a barbarian fails a Fortitude save against a spell, he gains two possible benefits. If a spell has duration other than instantaneous or permanent, the duration is halved in regard to barbarian (if it has multiple targets, other targets are affected as usual). If the spell deals damage, a barbarian takes only half of the damage.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Requires Uncanny Dodge): A barbarian can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.
Wild Charge (Requires War Cry): On a successful charge the target is knocked prone.

Tier 3 Traits
Awesome Blow (Requires Wild Charge and Furious Blow): During a charge action, the barbarian may choose to subtract 4 from his melee attack roll and deliver an awesome blow. If the barbarian hits an opponent within one size category of himself with an awesome blow, his opponent must succeed on a Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of the barbarians choice and fall prone. The barbarian can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent can’t move closer to the barbarian than the square he started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.
Berserk (Requires Rage and Heart of Wolverine): When entering rage, a barbarian can decide to decrease the rage’s duration and increase its potency. He must decide how many rounds less will the rage last and this number cannot exceed his Constitution bonus. For each round subtracted a barbarian’s Strength increases by additional 1 for the duration of that rage.
Menacing Aura (Requires Steel Eyes and Furious Blow): In the midst of battle, covered in blood, the barbarian is a frightening sight. The barbarian may make a demoralize opponent attempt as a free action against any opponent who comes within 15 feet of him, whether it is his turn or not. He may do this again any number of opponents each turn.
Mighty Rage (Requires Berserk): A barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at –2.
Swift as the Wind (Requires Quick Stride or Improved Uncanny Dodge): The barbarian never provokes attack of opportunity, whatever he does, so long as he moves at least 10 feet during that combat round. This ability only works when the barbarian is on foot.
Tough as Nails (Requires Stamina and Uncanny Dodge): When a critical hit is scored on the barbarian, there is a 30% chance that the critical hit is negated and damage is instead rolled normally. If a barbarian is under another similar effect (such as fortification armor), roll the dice separately and use better result.
Unstoppable (Requires Swift as the Wind): The barbarian may move up to his speed as part of a full attack action, rather than merely taking a five-foot step. He may move and attack in any order he wishes.

Attachments

• Midnight Barbarian.doc
    74 KB · Views: 49

wolff96

First Post
Unstoppable is way, way over the top. I can't see any Barbarian *not* taking it. You've just given them unlimited use of the "Pounce" ability.

What's more, it requires the ability that means they never take AoO's for movement.

The scary thing is that the way the pre-reqs are written, this barbarian can pounce by level 5. Unless things are always more than 40 feet away, he will NEVER miss out on a full attack.

There's a reason Dire Charge (which essentially does the same thing, but only on a charge) is an epic feat. That's way too powerful of an ability for such a low-level character... especially if you start cheesing it out with Scout or other movement-based classes.

--------------

Most of the other abilities don't look too bad, though I'm kind of curious about Furious Blow. It states that the ability is useable once per day... then later states that you can't use it more than once per round. And it's a full-round action, which would seem to prevent using it more than once per round anyway.

Finally, the whole "decide to use it AFTER you hit" is a bit generous. IDHMBIFM, but I can't come up with any other ability that's triggered after you know your attack is a success. Most of them require that you decide to use it and the use is lost if you miss.

arnon

Explorer
First, thanks for the response.

Now...

wolff96 said:
Unstoppable is way, way over the top. I can't see any Barbarian *not* taking it. You've just given them unlimited use of the "Pounce" ability.

What's more, it requires the ability that means they never take AoO's for movement.

The scary thing is that the way the pre-reqs are written, this barbarian can pounce by level 5. Unless things are always more than 40 feet away, he will NEVER miss out on a full attack.

There's a reason Dire Charge (which essentially does the same thing, but only on a charge) is an epic feat. That's way too powerful of an ability for such a low-level character... especially if you start cheesing it out with Scout or other movement-based classes.

With all it's pre-requisites, for someone investing all his abilities to gain Unstoppable, he will be able to take it at 11th level the earliest (it needs two tier 1 abilities, one tier 2 ability, and one tier 3 ability). Spring Attack can be had at 4th level... though i know its not the same, but by higher levels I'm sure there are feats somewhere that might improve upon Spring Attack.

Remember that a barbarian investing wholy in this "tree" will miss out on all the others "trees"...

Yet, i was debating with myself about the frequency of giving out the Barbarian Abilities, perhaps 1 ability per 4 levels, so that in the above case, the Barbarian will be able to get the Unstoppable at 16th level the earliest. Still thinking about this.

As for other classes... well, Midnight uses the classes given in the core Midnight book (Channeler, Defender and Wildlander) as well as Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue. That's it. So I'm not worried "movement-bases classes".

though I'm kind of curious about Furious Blow. It states that the ability is usable once per day... then later states that you can't use it more than once per round. And it's a full-round action, which would seem to prevent using it more than once per round anyway.

My bad there. I copy-pasted this ability for elsewhere and adjusted it to fit what i thought is right for this barbarian. Just erase the "can't use furious blow more than once per round." bit.

Finally, the whole "decide to use it AFTER you hit" is a bit generous

You might have a point there...

thanks,
arnon

wolff96

First Post
First off, let me just say that I think you've got a really cool idea with allowing the barbarian to diversify. You might want to look at Unearthed Arcana, for the other totems that a barbarian can follow -- it would give you some idea of what WotC considers balanced.

arnon said:
With all it's pre-requisites, for someone investing all his abilities to gain Unstoppable, he will be able to take it at 11th level the earliest (it needs two tier 1 abilities, one tier 2 ability, and one tier 3 ability). Spring Attack can be had at 4th level... though i know its not the same, but by higher levels I'm sure there are feats somewhere that might improve upon Spring Attack.

I'm not seeing it. (I could just be missing it.)

Unstoppable requires Swift as the Wind. Swift as the Wind (Requires Quick Stride or Improved Uncanny Dodge). Quick Stride is a first tier ability, so it can be taken at level 1. That fulfills the requirement for Swift as the Wind, so it can be taken at level 2. That means you can have Unstoppable at level 5. If that's supposed to be an "AND" instead of an "OR" in the requirements for Swift as the Wind, then it makes a bit more sense.

As a capstone power, it's still ridiculously powerful. Especially given the line about making the move in any order he wishes -- that would allow, as written, the ability to make two attacks, drop a foe, then move forty feet and use your other attacks on someone else. That's WAY more powerful than even the epic feat.

There's almost no situation where this Barbarian can't make a full attack. And he can stack up a heck of a lot more damage than an archer, which is the only other type of attacker that can almost always get a full attack.

As for other classes... well, Midnight uses the classes given in the core Midnight book (Channeler, Defender and Wildlander) as well as Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue. That's it. So I'm not worried "movement-bases classes".

Ah. I hadn't realized you were restricting to Midnight only classes. You realize that this Barbarian -- with his cherry-picked abilities -- is going to come in as more powerful than the other Midnight classes. Especially if you pick the right bloodline to go along with it... the bloodline that gives DR makes the barbarian DR mostly useless, unless you alter it to stack...

arnon

Explorer
Unstoppable requires Swift as the Wind. Swift as the Wind (Requires Quick Stride or Improved Uncanny Dodge).
*snip*
If that's supposed to be an "AND" instead of an "OR" in the requirements for Swift as the Wind, then it makes a bit more sense.

Yupe, thats another wording mistake by me, it's supposed to be "And".

I'm still considering weather to drop one of the Barbarian Abilities and make it a 1 per 4 levels...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads