• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ties that Bind - Silverymoon - Chapter 1 "Diplomats?"

Shayuri

First Post
"My lady, of COURSE we'll be assaulted!" Jonas sighs and shakes his head. "The roads are beset with foes. If the journey was -safe- they wouldn't need -us-. Now, that doesn't mean we won't get there. I'm more than confident in our collective ability to best a bagful of brigands. But speaking from some experience, 'cheating' this dwarf is a bad idea if we want him to listen to us. Dwarves have no patience for that sort of thing."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Well if you agree, then why, do you suppose, were we not told that being assaulted was in the job description? You'll notice that we were not hired as bodyguards for diplomats--we were hired as diplomats. A blatant attempt at misleading us? If so, not a very good one, as nobody seems to be fooled."

"Also, if it is clear that we will be assaulted, then this foolishness on the dwarf's part is also malicious, with the clear intent to kill or injure us if possible. Unfortunately, like this so-called 'tradition', most traditions are either foolish, harmful, or both..."

gabrion

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"...Care to take a bet as to whether you will be assaulted on the road if you agree to this foolishness?"

After listening to the discussion for a few minutes, Taern jumps back in at this remark.

"Oh, I would be willing to bet that you'll be attacked several times if you decided to journey to Citadel Adbar. As a matter of fact, that's why I recruited you, because I needed to find people who had a good chance of making the journey. Your idea of sending "look-alikes" across the land while you travel won't work for this very reason. Any such group would be likely to die, thus defeating the purpose of the plan. I won't pretend that this journey will be without great danger, but once again, that's why I gathered capable individuals to undertake it.

Jonas seems to have the right of Harbromm's schemes though, as far as I can tell. My guess is that Harbromm restricted the means by which we can reach him simply to keep us from doing so, and to manufacture a reason to turn away would be delegates who don't comply. This is childish in the extreme, but it seems necessary as far as I can tell."

Turning to the man who has not yet addressed the issue he continues.

"I would like to hear what Corund has to say on the topic though, as he has clearly taken some time to think before sharing his opinion."

OOC Rystil:
[sblock]Could you please make Knowledge (Religion) and a Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) checks for me?[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC:[SBLOCK]
I got 28 on Religion and a lowly 15 on N&R.

I do hope Cassandra isn't being too problematic here, but she is a Paladin, so she has a Code of Conduct to uphold for the cause of freedom and anti-traditionalism ;)
[/SBLOCK])

gabrion

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"Well then why don't we beat his idiocy at its own game. Tell me exactly the words he used to describe his requirement."

Well I’m afraid I don’t have a statement more specific than the one I gave before. Harbromm has said that he will accept a delegation, but only if it arrives at Citadel Adbar in a “traditional manner,” which by any sensible interpretation would mean physical travel. We want to convince Harbromm that it is in everyone’s best interest to return to the confederation and I highly doubt he will be receptive to someone finding a way to turn his words on him. As a matter of fact, I will allow no such thing from a delegation, as it is more likely to anger him than anything.

Rystil Knowledge Checks:[sblock]
Rystil Arden said:
I got 28 on Religion and a lowly 15 on N&R.

From the religion check, Cassandra calls to mind quite easily the fact that Silverymoon has always been regarded highly by Sune, as it is one of the few cities that truly promote the flourishing of arts, music, and the like. Tangentially (and not from the check), it is easy to see that the current state of the city is nothing like this, but instead full of dour moods and lacking spirit. She can draw whatever conclusions she wants, but most people would conclude that the failing of the league is a large source of this problem.

From her Nobility and Royalty check, she knows that the type of government embraced by the league of silver marches is one of the more “free” of the realms. People have the right to have their opinions heard, and the confederation’s governing processes are more democratic in nature (thus they do a better job, even if not ideal, of promoting liberty) than most. Any socially enlightened notions of freedom and liberty were mostly absent from the area before Alustriel’s project.

Check OOC thread for more.[/sblock]

Erudite

First Post
"It is gratifying to hear that my companions on the road evince qualities dear to my heart." the preternaturally silent Corund comments. "I have been known to enjoy a journey or two, and unlike many a fusty old fossil, present company excepted " he spares a nod for the High Mage, "prefer a good night in the woods. A love of nature is often an indicator of the secret heart of a man. And " he looks at Cassandra, " a healthy distrust of authority is commendable, were one to avoid sinking into a morrass of paranoia, or the avoidable hypocrisy of becoming unbelievably rigid in the denial of others mores, statutes, traditions, and customs."

"I will undertake this jaunt, Hornblade, as directed by this Dwarf. I am certain that it will pose some hidden difficulties, but then, it if did not, you could as well have hired some jongleurs off a stage and had them caper and juggle along the road in motley."

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Excellent. Then arrive at Citadel Adbar traditionally the delegation may, after teleporting a few hours out and walking the remaining distance traditionally," Cassandra replies, ignoring more insults from the shadowy wizard.

Shayuri

First Post
"I don't think so, Cassandra," Jonas says, and he sounds a bit disappointed. "There's entirely too much riding on this to twist words like some ill-tempered djinn. I'll not betray Silverymoon, or the League, nor see them betrayed, just because you have authority issues. You need to decide, now, if you can abide by the assignment's rules as given. You don't have to agree with those rules, nor like them, but for the sake of every man, woman and child in the free cities of the North you must follow them. Else the High Mage would be right not to ask you to go at all. And that would be a tragedy indeed."

He smiles encouragingly. "Sometimes sacrifices must be made, my dear, for the greater good."

Erudite

First Post
"I concur with Jonas." The wizard tightens his mouth in agreement. "To childishly spite the Dwarf gives him a branch to beat us with when we arrive. I find myself agreeing to take this trip step by step from the very floor we stand upon to the gates of Adbar itself, if only because of the neccessity of gaining the Marches the opportunity to return a wayward, and similarly childish, member. As always, I am ready to leave at the instant, so I oblige that those who find themselves qualified to depart, do so now; those whose sensibilities require them to find employment for different purposes should speak aloud, lest they be wrongfully included."

Looking at the High Mage with white eyes, he adds "Unless the High Mage has anything he wishes to add, to aid the journey?"

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads