• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tiger curse

trentonjoe

Explorer
I am running a 5e version of tegle manor and while awesome it has an awful lot of "make crap up to suit your game" type of rules.

One of the items in there is a tiger helm that gives pretty significant bonuses but is supposed to be cursed. The curse they used is "you can't take it off" which seems kinda lame to me.

Any ideas on what to add?

I was thinking something like:

You don't get the benefit of a long rest ('causes it hard to sleep in a metal helmet) until you sleep in a bed for a week....or something like that.

I am not married to this idea.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
If you can't take it off I would imagine it would give Disadvantage on Charisma checks (maybe advantage on Intimidation), if it constricts your sight it could also affect Perception checks. If it's uncomfortable it could have a chance of not getting benefits from Long Rests or causing exhaustion.

You could have it give the curse of Lycanthropy and turn the wearer into a Weretiger. Of course, give them far more animalistic urges than other Weretigers, and have him transform every once in a while. Like every waxing quarter moon or whathaveyou. I think each of the lycanthropes shift at different times of the lunar cycle. Can't remember off-hand, though. Either way, that'd feel like a REAL curse. And offer a strong reason why it'd be impossible to remove.

Quickleaf

Legend
I am running a 5e version of tegle manor and while awesome it has an awful lot of "make crap up to suit your game" type of rules.

One of the items in there is a tiger helm that gives pretty significant bonuses but is supposed to be cursed. The curse they used is "you can't take it off" which seems kinda lame to me.

Any ideas on what to add?

I was thinking something like:

You don't get the benefit of a long rest ('causes it hard to sleep in a metal helmet) until you sleep in a bed for a week....or something like that.

That seems like a good start. I think, if you're willing to include a bit of comedy, that making the helm-wearer really hard to understand would be apropos. I'm imagining the tiger helm as a great helm (link to YouTube) with a basinet & coif suspension system underneath. So anytime the character says something it's like the principal's voice from Charlie Brown, sort of this unintelligible echoing knight's garble that maybe you can catch the gist of if you're really paying attention. NPCs could misinterpret the PC's words all the time and make offhand comments on "surely he must be horrifically disfigured, and thus he will not remove his helm." Other PCs trying to understand the PC in climactic high-tension situations might be required to make a DC 10 Intelligence saving throw, with a failure indicating they misinterpret what the PC is actually saying (players need to be up for some role-playing).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For giggles, I looked up tiger cursing videos...as in Tiger Woods. I'd post a link, but profanity. Inspired thusly:

1) at random, the wearer occasionally screws up royally and becomes wildly inaccurate in melee

2) the afflicted wearer uses profanity more often, and many times when inappropriate.

cmad1977

Hero
I read this as Tigger curse. Victims heads are made out rubber, their bottoms made of springs. They're bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy fun fun fun fun fun. But the most wonderful thing about the Tigger curse is it's the only one.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
A tiger helm would give the character "tiger blood". So while the character would constantly be "winning", especially if they're a warlock, they would also be required to speak only in Charlie Sheen approved phrases.

cmad1977

Hero
Eating would suck. And the stink would probably hurt stealth checks. Maybe perception checks too. Or....instant lycanthrope. On a full moon the cursed party turns all were tiger and devours nearby people.

Bigsta

Explorer
Per Wikipedia:

Tiger Mask (Japanese: タイガーマスク Hepburn: Taigā Masuku?) is a Japanese manga series written by Ikki Kajiwara and illustrated by Naoki Tsuji. The series was first published in Kodansha's Bokura Magazine from 1968 to 1971 and was later published in Weekly Shōnen Magazine from 1970 to 1971. It was later adapted into an anime series by Toei Animation which first aired on Yomiuri TV on October 2, 1969 and ended its run on September 30, 1971, airing 105 episodes. In real life, the name has been used by a succession of Japanese professional wrestling characters as a gimmick. The Tiger Mask persona is instantly recognizable by its trademark mask, designed to look like a tiger's head, as well as the combination of high flying attacks and martial arts in the ring.

Tiger Mask (in the magna/anime) used his fight winnings to support an orphanage.

To date, 6 professional wrestlers have taken on the mantle of Tiger Mask, all of which have been faces.

Have the mask possessed by the spirits of six great warriors who took on the mantle of Tiger Mask to battle evil and raise orphaned children. By putting the mask on, the PC agrees to become the new Tiger Mask. If the PC ever fails to fight evil or help children, the ghosts of the former warriors show up and repeatedly Tiger Suplex the PC until he returns to the proper path of the tiger.

Luz

Explorer
You could have it give the curse of Lycanthropy and turn the wearer into a Weretiger. Of course, give them far more animalistic urges than other Weretigers, and have him transform every once in a while. Like every waxing quarter moon or whathaveyou. I think each of the lycanthropes shift at different times of the lunar cycle. Can't remember off-hand, though. Either way, that'd feel like a REAL curse. And offer a strong reason why it'd be impossible to remove.

This is a good idea. The PC could transform into a weretiger on full moons (changing his alignment to neutral, which may have repercussions depending on his character), triggering its predatory instincts to seek out the nearest prey - even if its a fellow party member. Maybe the cursed PC needs to make a Wisdom save to resist attacking a companion, but the DC increases over time. Weretigers don't like to pass on their lycanthrope because this creates competition in their territory, so he/she would seek to kill whatever it hunts.

If that isn't a curse for the character, it certainly would be for the rest of the party.

Remove ads