• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tillaminar (intelligent dirt ooze)

Devon

First Post
Here's an intelligent ooze creature I made up n-- I ended up having quite a bit of fun with its flavor text.

Any thoughts on its level adjustment? I don't have my books available for consultation.

- Devon

Tillaminar (Mudling, Dirtling)
Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (hp 5)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft.
AC: 14 (+1 Dex, +1 size, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
BAB/Grapple: +0/-3
Standard Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d3+1 plus 1d4 acid)
Full Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d3+1 plus 1d4 acid)
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, stretch
Special Qualities: Resilient, shapeless, blindsight 120 ft., ooze traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 12 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Con 12 (+1), Int 8 (-1), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 8 (-1)
Skills (4): Hide +7*, Listen +1, Move Silently +1, Spot +1
Feats: Lightning Reflexes
Climate/Terrain: Any land or underground
Organization: Solitary, group (4-8), tribe (12-40), or village (50 - 125)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: by character class

Tillaminars are a race of evolved sand-like oozes which the ability to solidify or liquify their bodies at will. They have fine control over their otherwise formless bodies, replicating limbs, a vocal array, and other features as needed.

Tillaminars (known by most everyone as "mudlings" or "dirtling") are somewhat slow-witted compared to other races, but due to their natural gifts, they tend to fill a variety of otherwise unpleasant roles: sewer exploration, delving, climbing dangerously high places -- anything which requires acid or the ability to fit into small places. They tend to work in exchange for semiprecious gems, which they consider a delicacy -- their normal sustenance is stone of any sort.

Recently, their kind hesitantly crept from the depths of the earth, seeking the variety and relative peace they had heard could be enjoyed in the surface world. Despite finding out that danger can now come from well beyond their ability to see it coming, tillaminars have decided to keep trying, and usually have no trouble finding a niche for themselves in any advanced society, although they are usually treated with less respect than a goblin or kobold, which is all the worse because tillaminars are pretty well-meaning and can't tell when they're being made victim of discrimination. In larger cities one can occasionally see a tillaminar fall from the heights of some tower, land with a wet squelch, pick itself up, and trudge back up the stairs to complete whatever suicidal task it had been given.

Tillaminars range in color from browns to greys, but are otherwise limited to earthtones. They were originally a mineral type of ooze, related to a sandling, and their "skin" can be rough as sandstone or smooth as quicksand. They have no visual apparatus, and don't usually try to emulate eyes unless trying to pass for a humanoid.

Tillaminars speak their own language of hoots and whistles, as well as Common and Terran.

Combat:

Acid (Ex): A tillaminar can choose to deal an additional 1d4 points of acid damage with its slam, touch or other unarmed attack. It is assumed to have the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, and do not provoke an attack of opportunity when using this attack. This acid deals 11 points of damage per round of full contact.

Stretch (Ex): Once every 1d4+1 rounds, as a move-equivalent action, a tillaminar can increase its natural reach by 5 feet by stretching out a pseudopod; it can maintain this increase for a number of rounds equal to 1 + its Con modifier (minimum of 1 round).

Resilient (Ex): Immune to damage from all bludgeoning weapons, regardless of enchantment. Takes no damage from any fall of 100 feet or less (for falls in excess of 100 feet, treat the fall as if it were 100 feet shorter to determine damage).

Shapeless (Ex): A tillaminar has fine control over its oozelike body. It can squeeze through openings of incredibly small size (as little as 1 inch in diameter), move along small fissures, ooze under doors, pour itself into a container of its size or larger, and perform other similar feats as a free action.

Ooze Traits (Ex): A tillaminar is blind (but have the blindsight special quality) and therefore immune to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight. Immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. Not subject to critical hits or flanking.

Skills: Tillaminar have a +2 racial bonus to Hide checks due to their amorphous nature. This bonus increases to +4 in underground or earthen settings.

TILLAMINAR AS CHARACTERS
Tillaminar characters possess the following racial traits.
— +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, –2 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma.
—Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits half those of Medium characters.
—Space/Reach: 5 feet/5 feet.
—A tillaminar's base land speed is 20 feet.
—Blindsight out to 120 feet.
—Racial Hit Dice: A tillaminar begins with one level of aberration, which provide 1d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +0, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +0, and Will +2.
—Racial Skills: A tillaminar's aberration levels give it skill points equal to 4 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot. Tillaminars have a +2 racial bonus on Hide checks, which increases to +4 in underground or earthen settings.
—Racial Feats: A tillaminar's aberration level gives it one feat.
— +2 natural armor bonus.
—Proficient with its natural weapons, and all simple weapons.
—Natural Weapons: Slam (1d3 plus acid).
—Special Attacks (see above): Acid, stretch.
—Special Qualities (see above): Resilient, shapeless, ooze traits.
—Automatic Languages: Tillaminar, Common, Terran. Bonus Languages: Orc, Goblin, Gnome, Dwarven.
—Favored Class: Rogue.
—Level adjustment +4.

Devon

First Post
I didn't have one before, but I came up with one this evening:

Tillaminar_sm.jpg

How does it look?

- Devon

Last edited:

Frog Slime

First Post
Oh, man, that picture nearly made me spray Dr. Pepper over my keyboard.

These are awesome. Need to sneak him into a city? Just slide him into a barrel. 'Natch.

I have no idea about the level adjustment. That "Resilent" ability is powerful.

Remove ads