• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Time and the Fey wild

The only time I've used the time warp rules I had the PCs all roll and used the average, which resulted in no change. I'd rather leave the extreme results to either lone creatures, magic that increases the odds of a time warp, the interference of a powerful fey creature, or an unusually low or high averaged roll.

I would also keep anyone from trying to exploit the time warp mechanic (especially the "days become minutes" and "days become hours" results) by having the Feywild itself rebel at being used that way, such as by making the fey crossing move somewhere else, the DC to avoid losing your memory becoming harder, some kind of curse manifesting, etc.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also note that, given the nature of the fey in legend, there's the option for separating how much time one subjectively experiences from how much one physically ages. So you could have the scenario of someone leaving the Prime Material one day, spending 10 years in the feywild without apparently aging, and returning to find a week has passed at home.

MarkB

Legend
Also note that, given the nature of the fey in legend, there's the option for separating how much time one subjectively experiences from how much one physically ages. So you could have the scenario of someone leaving the Prime Material one day, spending 10 years in the feywild without apparently aging, and returning to find a week has passed at home.
Or visiting for what seems like a day, returning to find that a century has passed in the world, and then finding themselves physically aging to match - perhaps fatally.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or visiting for what seems like a day, returning to find that a century has passed in the world, and then finding themselves physically aging to match - perhaps fatally.

"You went on andventure, and when you come back, you just die," while perhaps functional in a novel, makes for poor gameplay, imho. YMMV.

Remove ads