Time For Another Round Of Iron Dm!!!

Nail

First Post
I was rootin' fer the little gnome too, as it seemed Rune's entry tried to do too much......but it's all been said already, so I'll shut-up on that point.

Both were great stuff, of course......<tips helmet>

nemmerle said:
As for the format. . .

I really would rather not provide too much of a guideline because I don't want to limit or stifle anyone's creativity. . . And while sometimes the difference in scope of two entries can make them difficult to compare - in the end I try to measure them on their own merits and then decide which one I think worked better for what it was. . simple as that. . .

<shrug> Accepted.

Still, I couldn't help but think o' this contest in the same frame of mind as the (now long dead) ENWorld encounter/NPC contest. You know: simple location 'n NPC, easily inserted into any campaign. Whatever happened t' that contest, anyway?

Congrats, Rune!

-Nail

Rune

Once A Fool
Radiating Gnome said:
Rune shouldn't have to defend the style of his entry -- he won, and his entry deserved it, no question there -- but the finals did seem to stretch to the limit the range of possibilities for the competition, and in the end comparing the entries seems to be like comparing apples and oranges.

Why, thank you, but there obviously are questions about that...the difference in our styles was great enough to make sure of that. You are correct to say that the two entries were like comparing apples and oranges. However, I do not hold with the idea that one style should be prefered over the other in the Iron DM tournament. I would like to assume that Nemmerle gives less weight to the style of the scenerio than the other elements.

It might help, in the future, to have much clearer guidelines. After all, what I knew about the competition and what was appropriate I learned as I played, and from reading the other posts.

I'm not sure that this is necessary; the guidelines seemed pretty clear to me (he was even lenient and ignored his rule about editing the posts). The tricky part, as you indicate, was trying to determine what Nemmerle considered good and bad usage of elements. Like you, I only had past examples to learn from. But that's kind of part of the game. It's subjective, nobody ever assumed it wouldn't be. We all respect Nemmerle and his nemmerlesque critiques; therefore, we trust in his ability to judge the competition.

Is it fair that the first pair to square off had no examples to go by (unless they happened to remember the last tournament)? Well, yeah. They weren't competing against anybody else at the time; they were similarly handicapped. And, hopefully, they learned much from it (as one of those was Radiating Gnome, I think it's safe to say that he certainly did!).

It would help to have much clearer guidelines for entrants. Rune and I differed, in this case, in one very fundamental way -- he was writing the outline of an adventure -- a sort of recipe he could give to other DMs, while I focused much more closely on the details of the adventure, writing it as best I could to represend the way I would DM the set of encounters myself, rather than what someone else might do with the same core ideas. Should entrants be approaching this from the point of view of someone writing source material for other DMs or for their own game? Is this a competition for scenario writers or DMs?

You and I differ, I think, on just what an adventure should do. You refer to my scenerio as more of a recipe to be given to other DMs, while yours is a focused and detailed adventure. It is my assertion that an adventure should be a recipe to be given to other DMs--that's the point. That being the case, you (a creative writing instructor) should know better than to write the scenerio for yourself. Know your audience and write for it!

I'm not saying a DM shouldn't keep in mind what he would do while running the scenerio, but, as this is a public forum, I kind of figured that the scenerios should be written for the public--that is to say, a group of DMs with widely varying styles of play and players! I've seen no evidence that would make me change my mind on that point.

Is one approach more appropriate than the other? Should it be clear in the competition whether entries should lay out encounters, interludes, full adventures, or campaign-length productions?

I think that judging would be made a lot easier if Nemmerle did this, but I can't say that it would necessarily be as fun to follow (or participate in!).

Should there be other guidelines as well? Should it be permissable to morph an ingredient into something that works a little better for your story? (As I did in the first round, morphing ghouls into Lacedons) Are there there guidelines about the use of different game worlds and settings? Could I, for example, have written a Call of Cthulu version of the last entry?

The ambiguity of the guidelines in this area leaves the entrants free to be daring. I think that Nemmerle is pleased when he comes accross an ingredient, for which the author shows the initiative to creatively bend the concept, if it is well applied.

I'm not trying to say that if there had been strickter categories, the results would have been different. Far from it. But clearnly there were a variety of different expectation here, and it might help in the future if they were a bit more clearly laid out.

It might make things easier on Nemmerle, but, again, I don't think that it will make the contest any better. Limiting the scope of the contest can only limit the scope of the results.

[edit]And I see that I type too slowly! Many of my points have already been made for me!

Last edited:

Gizzard

First Post
I think its too narrowminded to debate only Rune and RGs final entries; I think we should really stir the pot by asking "which scenario was the best from the entire contest?" ;-)

Personally, I loved Wulfs Memento tribute with the Potions of Forgetfulness. Delicious. But the entire contest was great, full of fabulous ideas. I'm sure a Albino Drider or a blind Hill Giantess will show up in my campaign someday. Kudos all.

Rune

Once A Fool
Gizzard said:
I think its too narrowminded to debate only Rune and RGs final entries; I think we should really stir the pot by asking "which scenario was the best from the entire contest?" ;-)

Personally, I loved Wulfs Memento tribute with the Potions of Forgetfulness. Delicious. But the entire contest was great, full of fabulous ideas. I'm sure a Albino Drider or a blind Hill Giantess will show up in my campaign someday. Kudos all.

Since you mention it, that's my favorite too (so far). But there were some other really really good ones. That's why I love this tournament!

Rune

Once A Fool
Vaxalon said:

I am ready, Nemmerle!

Vaxalon straightens out his silver lamé DM suit and prepares to go on stage to defend his title...

But, before we begin, may I say that it is an honor to compete against the Iron DM of ENworld!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Ok, we are going to do it as we did in the final round - which is to say there will be the usual 6 ingredients and then a list of 9 optional ingredients that will only be looked for in the event of a tie - but can still be marked against you if there is not a tie and you used them poorly.

Main Ingredients
--------------------------------
Angry Mob
Costume Jewelry
Alchemist's Fire
Silver Dragon
Foppish Vampire Bard
Apparatus of Kwalish

Optional Ingredients
lobsters
sharks
ostriches
elephant
chipmunks
golden chamberpot
courier
decapitated halfling
tax-collector

Good Luck! It is 3:48 pm EST - you have 24 hours.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
nemmerle said:
Main Ingredients
--------------------------------
Angry Mob
Costume Jewelry
Alchemist's Fire
Silver Dragon
Foppish Vampire Bard
Apparatus of Kwalish

Optional Ingredients
lobsters
sharks
ostriches
elephant
chipmunks
golden chamberpot
courier

decapitated halfling

tax-collector

! ! !

Anybody needs extras, you can pick one up in my Story Hour.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Rune said:

You and I differ, I think, on just what an adventure should do. You refer to my scenerio as more of a recipe to be given to other DMs, while yours is a focused and detailed adventure. It is my assertion that an adventure should be a recipe to be given to other DMs--that's the point. That being the case, you (a creative writing instructor) should know better than to write the scenerio for yourself. Know your audience and write for it!

What I should know better based on being a creative writing instructor is really pretty much immaterial -- and, as confusing as it may seem, many writing teachers and writers would argue that all we CAN do it write for ourselves -- look out at the world and see what we would like to read, and then write that. Once you've stepped beyond the need to write for specific, work-related or academic audiences, we are all our own first audience. If we are not writing to please ourselves, we're going to be very unhappy writers.

Besides, if we're going to pick on the gnome based on being a writing teacher, don't forget to point out his terrible typos. I mean, really, I should be doing SOME proofreading, shouldn't I? :D

It's amazing how poorly an education in creative writing prepares a person to write genre material, or game material. The rules are so very different, it can be more of a hindrance than a help. I've been dealing with professors for years who look down their noses at anything that isn't rubberstamped "literary", but the good news is that many programs are starting to be more flexible, in both the sorts of texts they'll read, and even (though much less frequently) in the kind of writing they'll let students turn in.

I was just asking if clearer expectations would help, but it's pretty clear that everyone else likes the ambiguity of the competition. I asked a question -- got my answer, and that's cool -- I understand what Wulf and the others are saying about the value of the Nemmerlesque judging. I'm sorry if my questions came off as criticism of the process or of your style. That was not intended.

I had a good time, learned a lot and enjoyed the exercise. Most of my time on the boards over the past year has been spent poking around in the story hours, and it was a lot of fun to play in the sand box with some of the big guns from that part of the board.

Rune, kick butt in the title match.

[edit: I can see that the finals have started, and I'm still rambling into my beer. No more distractions . . . ]

-rg

Last edited:

Remove ads