• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time for traps!

Notmousse

First Post
I haven't seen a traps thread around here for some time, and considering the fiddly way WotC handles them I figured it better to just to play it by ear.

This is one of my all time favorite traps, that I've sprung on unsuspecting parties.

That's not Jell-o!

After vanquishing the black dragon you come across it's treasure horde filled with jewels, coins, and the fabled Goblet of True Health! Rumor states that this goblet when filled with water will turn it into a powerful elixer which cures the sick and the dying with but a few drops.

Overzealous, your barbarian compatriot, weary from battle and about to wane, rushes to the goblet and drinks heartily. She is stricken down by the goblet's contents, a slime! Quickly you assemble by her side, to battle with the filthy thing, but fear for the safety of a trusted companion.

As you can see this is a simple trap that can be sprung almost any time you have a group that's in need of healing, especially when a barbarian is treading on those imaginary HP. It consists of a small ooze in a flask, goblet, or even potion vial. For those times when extra belivability is in order I add in a ring of sustanence so the whole deal will detect as magical. And for higher level parties instead of a single slime it's actually multiple magically reduced galatinous cubes.

Please post C&C, and most importantly your own nefarious traps!

Last edited:

Vahktang

First Post
Cursed potion of cure moderate (or serious) wounds.
Detects as a normal cure potion, even passes the spellcraft test.
If used in combat, does a cause moderat (or serious) wounds instead.
Since the drinker wants the effect of the potion, though not knowing the curse effect, it's agueable that they decided to forgo the saving throw and, thus, takes full effect.

Slapzilla

First Post
Sounds like you are into punishing the unsuspecting wounded. Do your players find this fun? I do not want to sound like a jerk but does this add to or subtract from your player's entertainment? Slamming them like this seems unjustly cruel.

It's one thing if you have a series of traps guarding a tomb or something like, say, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Traps need to be right for the scene. Just stomping on wounded players sounds like it's no fun to be one of those players.

Notmousse

First Post
Laying a trap in a dungeon seems unjustly cruel to you?

The specific example I gave was of a party some years back. They were great sports about it because they knew they let their guard down. The funniest bit was that they had enough healing left to keep the barbarian alive *after* this battle, thus they only tripped the trap in this manner because the barbarian was being cheap. Personally I had expected them to attempt to bring it back and accidentally kill someone with it.

You bring up the Indy movies as a case on your behalf. I find that curious as I can name two instances of trapped treasures off the top of my head, one straight from Raider's of the Lost Ark, the other from the Last Crusade.

Notmousse

First Post
It was the real item, just filled with ooze instead of water. Turns out oozes don't cure much, even when within the goblet. And it only worked once a year, but they never found out that part as they gave it back like they were asked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads