• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time Stop

Dandu

First Post
another time stop trick:

vs enemies who are generally immune to magic, wish for anvils and bowling balls to appear above their heads. They hang in mid air until time stop ends, and then blam. 10d6 is fair in my opinion (half a fireball).
Your advice is to use a 9th level spell and 5,000 XP to deal an amount of damage that would have been considered subpar 7-10 levels ago.

Last edited:

unan oranis

First Post
Your advice is to use a 9th level spell and 5,000 XP to deal an amount of damage that would have been considered subpar 7-10 levels ago.

Cashing in your high level spell slots for a subpar fireball would suck, unless you were fighting enemies immune to your high level spells and you were about to get killed. Also note that 10d6 times 4 rounds of summoning anvils is 40d6.

I've only seen it once, and all other options were out (magic proof dungeon, magic proof enemies closing in on all sides). You'd be snorting in derision all the way to the grave pal, if it weren't for me handing out excellent advice.

In epic levels it's relatively common to be in anti-teleportation, anti-dimensional travel, anti-etc zones... and then there's the dm sick of you spamming your wizard cheese every single encounter (aka scry buff teleport), so this kind of a situation could be lurking right around the corner.

EDIT: You could also use limited wish. 7th level for 10d6 non magical attack seems fair to me as well - good luck with *your* dm though.

Last edited:

Physiker

First Post
I have an other question:
Can I use dispel magic while in Time stop ?
I guess a targeted dispel magic is not possible, but how about an area dispel ?

Dandu

First Post
You'd be snorting in derision all the way to the grave pal, if it weren't for me handing out excellent advice.
If the most productive thing you can think of is using 4 Wishes and 20,000 xp to deal an average of 170 bludgeoning damage, reflex save for half, you're not giving excellent advice no matter what your ego tells you.

Want to know what's better? Casting a 6th level spell called Wall of Iron while in a Time Stop and making it so that it toppled onto the enemy when Time Stop ends. It is specifically listed as dealing 10d6 damage if it falls on someone too. Costs 50 gp per casting instead of 5,000 XP, and uses a slot 3 levels lower.

Excellent advice, eh?

In epic levels it's relatively common to be in anti-teleportation, anti-dimensional travel, anti-etc zones...
And it's common for enemies to have high reflex saves and DR/Bludgeoning or DR/magic, which would mean you wasted 4 9th level spells and 20,000 xp for nothing. I bite my thumb at your "excellent advice."

and then there's the dm sick of you spamming your wizard cheese every single encounter (aka scry buff teleport), so this kind of a situation could be lurking right around the corner.
What situation? The DM not talking with me out of game to resolve in game issues and instead adopting passive-aggressive ways of handling the problem, which are ultimately nonconstructive because they create more difficulties than they resolve?

Last edited:

unan oranis

First Post
If the most productive thing you can think of is using 4 Wishes and 20,000 xp to deal an average of 170 bludgeoning damage, reflex save for half, you're not giving excellent advice no matter what your ego tells you.

unless of course, it saves your characters life.

Want to know what's better? Casting a 6th level spell called Wall of Iron while in a Time Stop and making it so that it toppled onto the enemy when Time Stop ends. It is specifically listed as dealing 10d6 damage if it falls on someone too. Costs 50 gp per casting instead of 5,000 XP, and uses a slot 3 levels lower.

That would be a much better way of throwing down the non-magical smack from within timestop... some (very few) situations excluded.

Excellent advice, eh?

*shakes fist in air* I've been schoooooooooooold!!!! *rues defeat*

And it's common for enemies to have high reflex saves and DR/Bludgeoning or DR/magic, which would mean you wasted 4 9th level spells and 20,000 xp for nothing. I bite my thumb at your "excellent advice."

We'll make a deal then, next time your wizard is in timestop and this one super corner case situation pops up that wall of iron won't work or is inaccessible, but my idea will save you, well your not allowed to use it... you'll be biting the big one not your thumb.

Granted, I'll probably be waiting a while to hear about your defeat, but on the other hand irony has a way of manifesting.

What situation? The DM not talking with me out of game to resolve in game issues and instead adopting passive-aggressive ways of handling the problem, which are ultimately nonconstructive because they create more difficulties than they resolve?

Nothing to do with you specifically; I'm referring to the generally universal problems of running adventures for parties with high level wizards.

It is not passive-aggressive to create situations that are challenging for epic characters (unless your using the same "tricks" every time - anti teleport zones etc).

IMO it's a more creative and interesting approach than having a fireside chat with the dm where he asks you not to use your full spell list because, it makes it hard to plan an adventure.

Dandu

First Post
unless of course, it saves your characters life.
At that high a level, against enemies immune to magic... 170 damage isn't a lot.
We'll make a deal then, next time your wizard is in timestop and this one super corner case situation pops up that wall of iron won't work or is inaccessible, but my idea will save you, well your not allowed to use it... you'll be biting the big one not your thumb.
I never use the spell Wish. I prefer to use Shapechange to change into that creature from the Fiend Folio that gets Wish as a SU ability (no XP cost) 1/year... and change into it again as a free action at the start of my next turn for another SU wish... and then duck as the DM throws the book at me.
It is not passive-aggressive to create situations that are challenging for epic characters (unless your using the same "tricks" every time - anti teleport zones etc).
Agreed. I was just reading too much into it.

IMO it's a more creative and interesting approach than having a fireside chat with the dm where he asks you not to use your full spell list because, it makes it hard to plan an adventure.
I must disagree. DnD is a social game with a contract, and working potentially disruptive issues out by talking is better than having an arms race with the DM in game. Those situations just tend to make everyone unhappy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads