• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time to Brag - We whupped the main villain 13 levels too soon!

Numion

First Post
Nifft said:

Reasonableness. It's a restriction I put in for mechanical balance reasons, but it's nice to have a reasonable-sounding hand-wave when a player asks about it. :)

-- Nifft

Oh, I see. Your house rules are quite sensible, IMHO. I just didn't get it the first time.. (that it wasn't because of physics.. :eek: )

I'm still happy about this, even the day after. Oh, and for the record, when our DM heard about the dimension door plan, he carefully considered if Donovan would go along. After a few moments, he figured out that Donovan would probably assume the mage was just trying to run away, so he would have held on and gone with him.

And yeah, the whole momentum thing would be a dangerous precedent, I suppose, but dying from falling in a teleport makes more sense dramatically than having to worry about relative rates of planetary rotation.

mmu1

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I'm still happy about this, even the day after. Oh, and for the record, when our DM heard about the dimension door plan, he carefully considered if Donovan would go along. After a few moments, he figured out that Donovan would probably assume the mage was just trying to run away, so he would have held on and gone with him.

And yeah, the whole momentum thing would be a dangerous precedent, I suppose, but dying from falling in a teleport makes more sense dramatically than having to worry about relative rates of planetary rotation.

How did he know what the wizard was casting? Was he a fighter with Spellcraft?

Once I beat on Ogre Magi with Baba Yaga's Hut. It was freakin awesome!! I got a +2 Sword of enchantment and a dagger of elemental divinity. truly a power to behold!

Utrecht

First Post
Just curious what was the AC of Donovan???? I ask, because it seems like you were hitting him quite a bit.

I would think that he would have an AC up in high 30s to Low 40s Meaning that you would need to roll 17s, 18s and 19s to hit..... (assuming +7 BAB, +4 Strength and +1 Weapon)

smetzger

Explorer
He could just teleport to just below the surface of a very deep lake or the ocean.

After the water slows him down enough he teleports to the land.

grep

First Post
That reminds me of an unresolved issue in one of my games.

My character was at 0 strength; all the life sucked out of him by a roper. The sorcerer ran up, and teleported me out of his grasp.

Would the roper have the option of going along, if he was willing? DM said yes, players unanimously said no, and we finally weaseled out of it by pointing out that the roper would be too large to teleport along, anyway.

The specific issue of whether the roper could come along if he wanted was unresolved,

gordonknox

First Post
Pielorinho said:

Given that the mage was being grappled by a 20th-level fighter while he was unreachable by any allies, I'm guessing he would have been perfectly happy to leave Donovan behind.

Donovan, of course, could have handled things slightly differently, using the amazing power of the bracelet:

1) Teleport 2' beneath the surface of some ocean.
2) Repeat step 1 until most of his momentum is gone.
3) Teleport into a group of some allies that includes a priest.
4) Say, "Heal me, you fool! And you -- give me your glaive!"
5) Teleport back to the bruised, wounded, and disheartened PCs, less than a minute after he'd disappeared, and whomped on them.

Maybe he was frightened, though :). Sounds like an exhilirating session!

Or, maybe do the teleport yo yo thing until he recovered enough hit points to then accept the fall damage. He would probably need alot of food though.

gk

Daniel

Forrester

First Post
Not to be a poop, but what kind of high-level fighter doesn't drink a Potion of Fly before entering combat?

Also not sure how you broke his +5 magic glaive. Did you have a +5 magic weapon up?

LuYangShih

First Post
Pathetic. Simply pathetic. His "tactics", if you can call them that, are worthy of a 6 int creature. Any high level Fighter without Fly is an idiot, especially if they possess no ranged weapons. Not to mention the way he fought the party. Bah.

Remove ads