• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Timing of Preserving Invoker Covenant Power

SquareKnot

Explorer
Here are some straightforward questions for you experts.

I've been struggling with the specifics of the Invoker Covenant of Preservation covenant manifestation:

When you use a divine encounter or daily attack power on your turn, you can slide an ally within 10 squares of you 1 square.

Can I slide the ally before the attack, after the attack, or either? If, for example, the ally is in the burst radius of the attack, can I slide her to safety before the attack?

Also, if I use two qualifying attack powers in one turn (e.g. Action Point), can I slide two allies?

Finally, if I use the "Summon Angel of Fire" daily power, do I get to slide an ally when I summon the angel? Each time the angel attacks?

Thanks for your help. I've seen enough contradictory information that I'm not sure what to think anymore.

fba827

Adventurer
Here are some straightforward questions for you experts.

I am no expert, but I'm replying anyway. :) So take this answer as a non-expert opinion.

Can I slide the ally before the attack, after the attack, or either? If, for example, the ally is in the burst radius of the attack, can I slide her to safety before the attack?

This is the answer I'm most unsure of, but I'm inclined to say you can slide before the attack or after the attack. Though, for simplicity, you may want to pick one (before or after) and stick with it.
In fact, if you didn't even want the potential for debate, I'd say always do the slide after the qualifying power is fully resolved.

Also, if I use two qualifying attack powers in one turn (e.g. Action Point), can I slide two allies?

Yes - you can slide two allies in that situation, one instance with each qualifying power usage.

Finally, if I use the "Summon Angel of Fire" daily power, do I get to slide an ally when I summon the angel? Each time the angel attacks?

No. You are only using the power once when summoning the angel. The angel attacks are just things you can do with it, the angel attacks are not the daily power usage themselves.

Aulirophile

First Post
Since it doesn't have an action listed, it is a No Action. That isn't a type of action, it literally means "Not An Action." There is no RAW text for when No Actions resolve, so there is no RAW answer. Certainly the RAI seems intended to "preserve" your allies by sliding them out of bursts/blasts, and indeed there are several Presever power riders that also imply this is the case for that build. Ask your DM, agree on a table rule (might as well ask when Free Actions resolve when you're at it, their rule limbo is similar).

Yes, you AP you can use it twice, there is no limitation mentioned, so there isn't one.

You slide the ally when you summon the angel, attacking with the angel is not "using" the power. Only summoning a creature counts as using the power.

LuckyAdrastus

First Post
Pretty much what Aulirophile said. I've been playing a Preserving Invoker in a campaign for over a year now, and the DM said I can make the shift before resolving the attack, and we've left it at that.

DracoSuave

First Post
Yes, it really is up to the DM to decide and rule on this.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to use it at any single point during the power. That gives you some interesting possibilities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads