• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tips and Tricks to speed up gameplay.

buzz

Adventurer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Combat becomes a tactical chess game rather than a chaotic free-for-all that melee should be.
D&D combat is a tactical chess game. :)

IMO, whether using a battlemat speeds things up or slows them down depends on how your group implements the rules, and whether you and/or your players are/aren't adept at spatial manipulation. If you play with minimal rules-fidelity (your DM is winging it most of the time), a battlemat is not going to make a difference. If you play strict RAW, a battlemat of some sort is mandatory.

buzz

Adventurer
Thanee said:
I was thinking of getting THIS maybe. It's a little expensive for what it is, but not too bad. And the idea is pretty cool. :)
I own one of these (the landscape version), and it's a solid product. Granted, you need to then find and/or create content to use with it. Regardless, the really handy thing is that you can use it with any RPG.

buzz

Adventurer
Hussar said:
Actually, on the point of rules, something that has helped is a dedicated Rules Lawyer at our table.
We have one of these, and it's helpful... for the most part. The potential downside is that you then have people relying on that one guy for all of their tactical advice, and thus he's pretty much running everyone's characters (in combat, at least).

On top of this, there's only so much he can do. Players who don't know the rules can still bog down play.

Ergo, my primary advice is:

1. Get everyone at the table proficient with the rules. No excuses, no exceptions.
2. Make the "rules lawyer" the DM.
3. If you can't make the rules lawyer the DM, make the next-best rules lawyer the DM.
4. If you can't do #3, play Three-Dragon Ante or something. :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
buzz said:
I own one of these (the landscape version), and it's a solid product. Granted, you need to then find and/or create content to use with it. Regardless, the really handy thing is that you can use it with any RPG.

I didn't know they had the landscape version - I may have to get that if they have it at Games Plus!

My biggest suggestions are simple: know your math, and keep initiative rolling along.

By knowing the math, I mean know how much to add to your dice roll (it's amazing how many people struggle with this!) both for attacks and damage.

Rolling multiple dice at once is good - but it can be bad, since sometimes if you drop the first opponent with the first roll, you could move afterwards. I'd say be ready to roll, but don't roll the second or third until you need to - unless of course you're really certain you're going to need them all.

Keep initiative rolling by whatever means works - flipcards, etc. I strongly dislike the initiative cards that have all the combat info on them, including HP - then you have to dig through them to write on them, and they can get out of order, etc. Personally, I use a simple Excel sheet of my own devising that includes basic info and a resort macro to resort initiative anytime something happens to move init. It works really well for me.

I also announce who's up two people in advance - if Player A is up, I say, "Player B next, Player C after that" each time. It kind of jars them into action.

Vuron

First Post
One thing that really find useful as both a DM and as a player is to have multiple statblocks written out that show common buffs and debuffed states.

That way if the BBEG gets hit by a targeted dispel magic I know he's losing x/y/z without spending a handful of minutes and refiguring a/b/c. Sure I can generally handle simple builds on the fly but I tend to make mistakes here and there and it slows down the game and breaks immersion (if you play an immersive game).

Same thing for PCs if they know the effect that thier buffs have on them and thier friends then it becomes much easier to keep the game moving.

Also as a DM it's generally smart to come up with a set of generalized tactics and/or contigency actions for complex fights ahead of time. Sure the PCs will surprise you but if you know with 80% certainty what NPC x is going to do in the first handful of rounds then gameplay generally goes smoother.

deltadave

First Post
Thanee said:
I was thinking of getting THIS maybe. It's a little expensive for what it is, but not too bad. And the idea is pretty cool. :)

I don't like most DM screens since they use the paper in portrait orientation. I find this to be too tall and obstructive. A four panel Landscape orientation screen works best IMO. Had to make my own and print it on cardstock then laminate. I'll post a pic of the final result when I get home tonight.

XO

First Post
Not So Sensible

Li Shenron said:
FOR PLAYERS:

- don't argue about the rules during the game, but only afterwards: during the game just trust the DM

There IS no afterwards! Once the game congeals, that's it!

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I have players roll for initiative at the top of the session. We use that initiative count the next gime we go into initiative, and roll ofr initiative again once we go back out. Staying "one initiative ahead" really speeds up play for my groups. I mostly use this as a means of avoiding the cue that something's about to hit the fan, but already knowing your place in the initiative tends to make the players think about that first round of combat. I think part of it is that the players are a little more on edge, keeping an inititve prepped seems to make players realize all the more that a battle could break out at any time.

I'm also a freak for index cards. I have an index card for each character (and critter) with Listen and Spot totals, AC, saves, and hit points. I put them in initiative order, which is soemthing that other people have been doing to. This really helps keep things moving.

I also use "status cards", which just have status effects summarized on them. When the condition is in effect, the card stays out on the table in front of the screen where everyone can see it.

Gwaihir

Explorer
Does anyone have a really simple combat cheat sheet that I could latch onto? One of my players, while a really nice guy, has absolutly no conception of the math of combat.

resscane

Explorer
My group uses a magnetic board. On the board we have a section for initiative, w/ all PC's and monsters listed in order. Also the board has a section for rounds. Every buff and spell effect is placed in the round it starts, and if applicable, the round it ends. The board tracks 30 rounds (not many battles last longer than that). You could easily use an erasable board for this. The magnetic board is a little better becuase you can move the items around w/ ease. Stick it on a fridge, a garage door, an exterior metal door, or tack it to a wall.

This alone keeps things moving quickly and everyone can refer to it. The duration problem and lists of buffs can get tough top track and calculate.., this keeps some of it straight. Hit points are recorded by one player also.

Ultimately, there is only so much you can do. High powered battles w/ BBG and their minions can take a long time to resolve.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads