• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tips for domain multiclass(dip) cleric wizard!

maraxion

First Post
hello.
So i want to multiclass a cleric and wizard. basicly Im just thinking about 1 level cleric at startup. But offcource im open for 2 or max 3.

Iv looked over all the domains and several stands out.
Nature: ok spells, and great for Shillelagh on 1. level with able to dump str for wis melee attack! lacking the luster maybe.
Tempest: great with gear, good damage and spells.
The forge: (new) Great if 1. level dip it seems. But unsure
Protection: (new) Good paladin vibe on this one, but the spells are a bit meh and maybe minimum 2 levels to be fun.
Light: wel its good but when going to wizard its a bit obsolete?

So with the wizard(or sorc) build in mind Il be primarily caster, but since we dont have a dedicated tank I wanted some security cause the DM said a basic wizard might be a bit fragile for this run. So keep this in mind aswel :)

All input is good input :)

Last edited:

It depends on what you want to do. Do you mostly want a wizard in armor who can heal a bit, or are you going to try and do some cleric-y things (like ever use that shillelagh, because you are in the front lines)?

The lowest impact/cost cleric to add to your wizard build is a wis 13 Life cleric. With that, you can have bless, cure wounds, healing word, and one more spell prepared. If you are a dwarf (or intend to be mounted), then you're likely done (or just make sure your dex is 14 and go medium armor). If you're a vHuman, and put a bit more into Wis, you can pick up Magic Initiate (druid) at that level, and also get shillelagh, as well as goodberry (10x4 hp healed, plus feeding the party), and then add Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade as wizard cantrips and have some martial heft.
Nature cleric gets you shillelagh for free, but you need more Wisdom because there are more cleric spells you want to have prepared that Nature domain does not give. On the other hand, that extra wisdom increases the usefulness of shillelagh (but again, it is more attributes you can't put towards Int and Con).
Forge and Tempest clerics are fine, but I have to work hard to make their martial weapon abilties relevant as a single class. I can't imagine doing it as a wizard MC. Light the only critique I have is that it doesn't add much to a wizard that a wizard doesn't already have.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Hill Dwarf Tempest Cleric 2/Wizard X.

Tempest gives all martial weapons and all armor, plus beefs ANY lightning/thunder spell you can cast.

Get Con of 16. Hill Dwarf gets +1 HP/level, too.

Front-line melee + Thunderwave will be your bread and butter for a while. ^_^

Praise the All-Father!

maraxion

First Post
Wel my build is a bit more of than that.
Iv chosen:

Deep gnome (its an underdark campain) since it gives good int.
Also Iv set my int to total 16 and wisdom 14. Then as you said looked at medium armour with 14 on dex. The rest can be adjusted somewhat.
Im just not sure which domain gives me the best total deal for a small leveler MC. Specialy since we dont have a real tank(a moon druid only) and we start at level 1.
Heavy armour really isent an option due to weight and encomberance with the variant rules and my strength scores.

Deep gnome (its an underdark campain) since it gives good int.
Also Iv set my int to total 16 and wisdom 14. Then as you said looked at medium armour with 14 on dex. The rest can be adjusted somewhat.
Im just not sure which domain gives me the best total deal for a small leveler MC. Specialy since we dont have a real tank(a moon druid only) and we start at level 1.
Heavy armour really isent an option due to weight and encomberance with the variant rules and my strength scores.

Okay, so picking up shillelagh would switch you attack from a proficiency+2 to hit, d4+2 damage dagger (or prof+0 hit, dsomething+0 str-based weapon) to a proficiency+2 to hit, d8+2 club/staff. Simply put, you're not going to be winning the fight by picking up a weapon. This is not a super-big problem. Between the wizard and cleric cantrips, you have a plethora of choices to use either at range or when the enemies close. However, what this means is that I wouldn't choose a domain based on weapons gained (war, tempest, nature just for shillelagh, arcana just for BB/GFB).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I won't bother pointing out heavy armor - unless you want a high Str it's not useful. Medium + Shield is a big improvement for Wiz or Sorc.

Only looking at 1st level.

PHB
Knowledge gives you 2 languages plus two (Int-based) skills with expertise. Quite well aligns with a wizard. Command is a decent spell.

Life gives you bless and cure wounds, and a bonus to healing.

Light gives you wizard blasting spells but against Wis, not worth it.

Nature gets shillelagh as mentioned, but I'd be surprised if Wis is/stayed better than Dex.

Tempest gives spells with saves based on Wis, and a non-scaling rebuke Wis times per day.

Trickery gives at least one non-save spell and you can buff another in stealth for as long as you want (need to renew 1/hour).

War domain gives some melee concentration spells and Wis bonus action attacks.

SCAG
Arcana gives wiz spells and cantrips, but at least they don't need to be Int based. It also gives Arcana skill.

UA: Cleric: Divine Domains
Forge gives a concentration melee spell and shield, neither of which need to be Int based so that's good. And the ability to give any one armor of weapons +1 until the next long rest. Use on yourself, an ally, whatever.

Grave spells want more Wis. Your healing spells are better when the target is down, and you can detect undead.

Protection gives concentration spells, and effectively the Protection fighting style without needing a shield.

Conclusion: Knowledge for a wizard or Forge for either seems to bring the most unless you are looking to melee. I didn't list martial weapons, so if you are looking to melee that's a different list.

D

dco

If you are only going to have a dip of 1-3 lvls you'll only get:
- 1 lvl: 3 cantrips, 2 lvl_1 spells, Divine domain
- 2 lvls: 3 cantrips, 3 lvl_1 spells, Divine domain, channel divinity, divine domain feature
- 2 lvls: 3 cantrips, 4 lvl_1 and 1 lvl_2 spells, Divine domain, channel divinity, divine domain feature
Proficiency with medium armor, shiield and all simple weapons
Domains will give you access to some spells, more proficiencies or a new feature, a new way to use channel divinity.

If you want to heal you are better using the life domain, Knowledge is good for skills, Light for some extra defense limited times (it's better to have full armor) and area attack, Nature to charm plants/animals, Tempest for a limited damage retribution and extra damage with thunder/lighting 1/day, Trickery only serves to give stealth bonuses to one friend, Warpriest for more proficiencies and attacks.

If you want armor/weapon proficiencies I would multiclass with Fighter, if you want to heal with a Light cleric, but healing is going to be so reduced that I would not multiclass. If you want to tank learn defensive spells with the mage and pick the school of abjuration, you will tank better than multiclassing 2-3 levels because you would reach the features of teh class and the higher defensive spells 1-3 levels earlier.

Last edited:

Zene

First Post
Life gives you bless and cure wounds, and a bonus to healing.

If you're going more than one level into Cleric, Life also gives you an absolutely incredible channel divinity -- if your entire party drops, you can pick them all up with 1 action.

Remove ads