• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tired of d20 yet?

woodelf

First Post
darkelfo said:
No, in fact I wish all games would hurry up and convert to D20. That way, when people like me want to try a different setting, they can easily transition without having to learn a bunch of bull. High is always better, Skill + Ability Modifier + a D20 is always the roll, opposed rolls, it all works intuitively now.

Give me Shadowrun D20. Give me Lovercraftian D20. Give me Star Wars D20... ok, I haven't seen this last product yet but the point remains the same: One easy system that everyone is familair with makes a great platform upon which other settings may play.

Which is why tennis, basketball, golf, and baseball all use the same basic rules. Or why Settlers of Catan, Monopoly, and Trivial Pursuit all use the same rules.

Point is, while there are virtues to similarity/constancy of system, there are also virtues to new systems, and/or systems tailored to different goals/playstyles. For some of us, the very chance to try different mechanics is part of the impetus to try new RPGs. Just as i don't merely want all my movies to be action-adventure movies, just set in different settings (space opera, high fantasy, 1930s, modern day, etc.), but also want to see different filmatographic styles.

Related point: it's just not that hard to learn a new system. Especially after you've already learned one--the conceptual leap from other games to RPGs (or activities) is so much more than the leap from pretty much any RPG to pretty much any other as to be almost a non-issue, IME.

The only thing that's at all hard to learn is complex systems--that's a point against D20 System, not in it's favor. I've watched complete newbies play 3 different [rules-lite] RPGs in 3 different weeks with no problems, and i've watched newbies take months [of weekly sessions] to come to grips with D20 System. [Probably Hero System, GURPS, and other crunchy systems would have similar results, but i've never run them.]

edit: more, less, whatever. :D

Last edited:

darkelfo

First Post
woodelf said:
Which is why tennis, basketball, golf, and baseball all use the same basic rules. Or why Settlers of Catan, Monopoly, and Trivial Pursuit all use the same rules.

Point is, while there are virtues to similarity/constancy of system, there are also virtues to new systems, and/or systems tailored to different goals/playstyles. For some of us, the very chance to try different mechanics is part of the impetus to try new RPGs. Just as i don't merely want all my movies to be action-adventure movies, just set in different settings (space opera, high fantasy, 1930s, modern day, etc.), but also want to see different filmatographic styles.

I feel ya, bro. Some people, however, like me like to focus more on the story and the action than the rules. Nothing deflates the sense of urgency in a battle or other game scenario than looking up some rule in some book. I don't like crunching the numbers. I just want to find out what the heck that noise was behind the door before I sneak in to steal the king's chalice. I'll happily roll a Listen check, but don't ask me to remember a new rule for it.

What I like about d20 is that you always have some basic idea of what the appropriate roll would be fairly resolve some situation that calls for random chance influenced by a PC's skills and abilities.

I haven't personally made the leap to another d20 setting, but it strikes me that the transition will be simpler given that I already understand the mechanics.

buzz

Adventurer
PapersAndPaychecks said:
There are certainly mechanics which are superior to D20. Open your mind!
Let's not start implying that being content with d20 as a base for one's gaming needs equates to being close-minded. This isn't RPG.net. (And "superior" is generally a matter of opinion.)

There is some validity to what Woodelf is saying, but the simple fact is that, unless you're talking about the "lite"-est of RPGs, it takes time and effort to get up to speed with a new rule system, especially if you're going to GM it. Players can afford to be flying by the seat of their pants, but I feel much more comfortable GMing a game when I am conversant with the rules.

Ergo, I can understand the POV of someone who, having found a system that they really enjoy, prefers to stick to that system (or variations upon it) so that, having become proficient, prep becomes less about learning the rules than creating interesting scenarios and characters.

And, of course, there's the irony that, despite this attitude existing among devotees of other systems, it's the d20 fans who get the "open your mind!" comments. There are plenty of people over at, say, RPG.net who use D6, HeroQuest, FUDGE/FATE, GURPS, etc. for anything and everything they do, and I rarely see anyone accusing them of being close-minded.

buzz

Adventurer
woodelf said:
The only thing that's at all hard to learn is complex systems--that's a point against D20 System, not in it's favor. I've watched complete newbies play 3 different [rules-lite] RPGs in 3 different weeks with no problems, and i've watched newbies take months [of weekly sessions] to come to grips with D20 System. [Probably Hero System, GURPS, and other crunchy systems would have similar results, but i've never run them.]
Which d20 system? Or are you using it as shorthand for D&D?

IMO, the nature of the newbie and their GM is generally a bigger factor.

darkelfo

First Post
PapersAndPaychecks said:
There are certainly mechanics which are superior to D20. Open your mind!

I agree completely. There are operating systems that are better than the Windows OS, no doubt, but the fact that so many people use and understand it and the fact that there are so many developers for it, creates a value separate from and in addition to its actual merits.

Same thing for d20.

buzz

Adventurer
darkelfo said:
I agree completely. There are operating systems that are better than the Windows OS, no doubt, but the fact that so many people use and understand it and the fact that there are so many developers for it, creates a value separate from and in addition to its actual merits.

Same thing for d20.
Please, please, please let's not start the RPG-OS comparisons. *shudders*

:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads