• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tired of d20 yet?

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
PapersAndPaychecks said:
There are certainly mechanics which are superior to D20. Open your mind!

There are certainly mechanics that allow for greater granularity. "Superior" is a qualitative term here, though. What you consider superior may require greater time for adjudication, or leave grey areas that lead to in game discussion on interpretation that slow the game down. For my gaming groups, d20 is the superior mechanic in that it prevents derailment of the game.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
buzz said:
Let's not start implying that being content with d20 as a base for one's gaming needs equates to being close-minded. This isn't RPG.net. (And "superior" is generally a matter of opinion.)

Hey, Buzz. Can we avoid any board-wars, please? rpg.net serves its purpose, just as enworld.org serves ours here.

Ancient_Red

First Post
Yes. VERY TIRED. The D20 system at first appears a novel invention tht breed an easy rules familiarity for games. The problem is, familiarity breeds contempt. The simple fact is, the D20 system has been around for years in other aspects of life and in many guises. "Is that a Ford Explorer? No, that's a Mercury Mountaineer." "Are those Kroger Brand Green Beans? No Those are Stokley." I'm sure you can see the point.
The simple fact is, you MUST have different rules and mechanics, even dice, to truly try something different. Otherwise, you end up with nearly the same modifiers affecting nearly the same things, just in a different setting. As an example, I'll make up these feats and apply it two settings: IN D&D: 'Bushwack' Feat=.. +2 to melee attacks from behind. IN a D20 game set in space: 'Stealthstrike' feat=... +2 to melee attacks from behind.
different wrapper, same results.

darkelfo

First Post
buzz said:
Please, please, please let's not start the RPG-OS comparisons. *shudders*

The value of a network increases with the number of people using it. There are many metaphors that apply to this principle. OSs are just one example.

takyris

First Post
Nope. I'm pretty much the poster-child for what I think WotC was trying to do with the d20 System and OGL. My group had played other things in the past (not as a group, but in our previous games with other people), but we all started D&D again with 3E, and now we've branched out to a bunch of other d20 games. It's easier for those of us with jobs, spouses, other hobbies, and so forth to learn a few modifications to the d20 system than to pick up a new system from scratch, and the d20 system, with modifications appropriate to the genre, does a fine job of giving us the kind of games we want.

Ranger REG

Explorer
woodelf said:
The only thing that's at all hard to learn is complex systems--that's a point against D20 System, not in it's favor. I've watched complete newbies play 3 different [rules-lite] RPGs in 3 different weeks with no problems, and i've watched newbies take months [of weekly sessions] to come to grips with D20 System. [Probably Hero System, GURPS, and other crunchy systems would have similar results, but i've never run them.]
I honestly don't think you can single out d20 System in that criticism. It's all about how the designer/author present the ruleset in the form of a game(book).

While some of the OGC in the SRD are very easy to understand, other OGC are not. A savvy designer would not only just cut-n-paste but read through and fine-tune the material to make sure it can be understood by a newbie.

WotC is already generous about offering these "codes." It's up to the "programmer" to make use of them into a functional, entertaining "program."

buzz

Adventurer
darkelfo said:
The value of a network increases with the number of people using it. There are many metaphors that apply to this principle. OSs are just one example.
Oh, I know. The comparisons always seem to lead to disaster, though.

Big bad evil D&D = Big bad evil Windows
[Poster's favorite RPG] = [Poster's favorite non-Windows OS]

:)

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Tired of D20? Not hardly. I truly enjoy the D20 system more than any other I've played. While I may delve into WHFRP 2E upon occasion, D20 will be my primary system for some time to come.

Kane

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads