Tirlanolir/D'nemy's Tales of Turgos: The Heroes of Goldfire Glen (UPDATE 7/26)

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 14:Canaan's Theft

We had left Balian’s Tower by the early afternoon on the following day. Hu Li had completed his studies sufficiently to reach, as he put it, the Second Valence. Gabriel had found a soft patch of grass some paces away from the shadow of the Tower and had slept there. He was in understandably poor spirits when we rendezvoused with him. Lilian’s quiet resolve had returned. Her eyes were lit with emboldened determination to track down our enemies and rescue young Tanner and spare another innocent from suffering under the Cultists’ profanity.

Despite the nightmare that had disrupted my slumber, what sleep I managed to attain proved fruitful. I was awoken by Orolde, Balian’s weary faced Gnomish caretaker. He informed me that the Master wished to see me. I quickly washed myself at my chamber’s basin. A remarkable bit of engineering, indoor plumbing all the way up in the tower with little knobs with which to start and stop the water flow. I’m sure it was horribly expensive. But then, Balian is an Arch Mage after all. Perhaps it was magic.

The water was so cold it nearly burned and any lingering fatigue that clung to me was dashed away after the first splash against my face. I dressed in my traveling clothes and followed Orolde down the stairs to the main foyer and through the opened doorway to my left that led into the Dining Hall. Orolde led me to a corner on the far side of the massive chamber. He dully lifted a panel on the wall that revealed a latch. He pulled the latch to him and something heavy dropped in the wall and a narrow opening swung open to his right.

“This way.” He said, never turning around to see if I was still there. He held out a fleshy, fat finger toward the opening and I obediently went through.

It was a kitchen. A host of iron pots hung over brick ovens and metal basins filled with murky, plate and utensil infested water.

Orolde slumped over to the sink, took an already soaked oversized sponge from a hook and began the unpleasant task of washing the master’s dishes.

“I thought you told me Balian wished to see me.” I said after watching the little man plodding away at his chore for several minutes.

“The Master is on his way. Just wait.” It was the last thing I heard from the Gnome for the remainder of the day.

I stood by one of the brick ovens and forced myself to relax. This was an opportunity to practice patience and humility. The Master shall appear whenever and wherever he wishes. My thoughts drifted to Hu Li. Such an irascible, petulant, inpatient sot he was. Such arrogance. Such hubris. It was a wonder to me that Balian put up with him for so long. I supposed Hu Li’s talent with arcanism superseded his irritating personality shortfalls. “Potential for exaltedness resides in all things.” Canaan teaches us. “He who is swift to judge brings perdition to no other soul but his own.”

Mine was not the place to condemn. Canaan had brought me here to learn. Hu Li had chosen his path. I could do nothing more than choose mine, and leave others to their own.

A scratch broke me from my waking dream. Balian towered over me. One of his boney fingers, tipped with a sharply frayed nail, pushed into my shoulder.

“Wake up, Apprentice!” He commanded. “Your training begins!”

I stood immediately at attention and opened my mouth to utter an apology, but he did not give me the opportunity.

“I abhor laziness.” He snapped. “Above all else.”

Orolde had left. The dishes where completed. How long had I stood there, daydreaming like a common sloth?

Balian held up a small brush. Its handle was no wider than the blade of a stiletto, and only a half dozen hairs drooped at the tip. An empty bucket was at Balian’s feet.

“This is your first lesson.” He said. “Fill this bucket full of clean water and lye and wash the whole of my kitchen floor with this brush.” He thrust the brush into one of my hands.

“I shall return in an hour to see how you are doing.”

He left.

I started looking for a source of water and found a short downward staircase that twisted toward a narrow door. Upon opening it I discovered a pump. An opened burlap bag of lye squatted near it. Minutes later it was filled and sufficiently sudsy.

I returned to the kitchen and began my task. I got down on my hands and knees, dragged the filled bucket close to me and dipped the brush in the water. I focused in the first corner and scrubbed. I did not stop until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Helena’s soft, seductive face grinning down at me. She held a plate of breads and fruit in her other hand.

I looked down at my own hands. They were as shriveled and white as a discarded cicada skin. I had managed to clean the majority of the floor, having only one small corner of it remaining. The kitchen was awash with the stinging fragrance of lye.

“You’re doing very well, Evora.” Helena cooed. “Balian is most impressed.”

I looked around, hoping to see him, but he was nowhere in sight. Helena sensed my preoccupation and held out the plate of food in front of me.

“This is from him. You have been at this task for nearly three hours. When Balian came to check in on you, he told me you were so enrapt in your task, you paid his presence no notice. That shows focus. He likes focus.” She smiled encouragingly.

My head was blurred by the fumes. She was claiming I had focus, but in that moment, I only felt drunk.

“You should eat.” She said, taking up a slice of bread and shoving it in my mouth. I bit down. It was sweet and soft as a lamb’s wool. I had never tasted better.

I was soon on my feet, relishing the plate of succulent food. Helena explained that I had not heard the breakfast gong. When Orolde came to investigate, he saw me still engulfed in my work that he hadn’t the heart to interrupt me.

“I, on the other hand,” Helena told me, “thought it was bordering on the cruel.”

After my plate was cleared, Helena took it from me, placed it in the sink and left me. I returned to my work. The moment I had brushed the last square of floor, I heard footsteps behind me. I stood to find both Helena and Balian standing at the middle of the kitchen. Helena was smiling. Balian was giving the floor a slow once over. After a short silence he exhaled heavily and nodded.

“Looks good.” He finally said. “You must be off. Your friends are waiting for you and it is time to put this sacrifice business to an end. When you return, your studies will continue.”

He spun around and glided out. Helena remained. She tossed me a towel and I dried my hands on it.

“You are very kind, Lady Helena.” I told her.

“Not at all.” She scoffed. “And I am no lady.”

I finished drying my hands and placed the towel on a hook.

“What do you know of the Urgic Mystics?” I asked her.

“Very little.” She admitted with a sly smile. “That’s Balian’s territory. Not mine.”

“But you cavort with devils.” I said. “And in so doing blend the divine with the arcane, do you not?”

“I suppose.” She said noncommittally. “I suppose one could see it that way.”

“How do you see it?” I asked her. She smiled and grew strangely quiet.

“You’re well versed in Canaan’s Scriptures, are you not?” She asked me.

“Of course.” I answered.

“How did Canaan create the world?”

“By His will. By His love.” I said.

“Spoken like a true servant.” She said, her voice a tinge rougher. “What if I were to tell you that the world was not created through love, but through theft?”

The word “blasphemy” flashed in my mind with a force and brightness of a thousands suns at their zenith. Had I been an Inquisitor or a Justicar, I would have had no choice by to imprison the witch for her heresy. But I had left such reflexive, reactionary judgments behind when the Curia forced me into exile. Though bile inched its way up my throat at her utterance, I remained silent and allowed her to continue with her story.

“Before Turgos, before Canaan, there was Law and Chaos. They were not like gods, they were something else entirely, something truly eternal. While no one is certain where Canaan came from, what they are certain of is what He did. He wished to create a world, so he went to Chaos, the power of creation, who dwelled in the eternal darkness of the Abyss, and, it is said, asked for the power’s aid in the creation of a world. When Chaos refused Canaan’s request, He simply took a pocket of The Abyss and used it to create Turgos.

By the time Chaos became aware of this theft, The Adversary had begun his rebellion in Heaven. The rebels were expelled from Heaven. And Canaan stole some more of The Abyss to create Hell at the bottom of which laid the Lake of Fire. It was there Canaan cast The Adversary and his rebellious host. Canaan’s justice twisted their beautiful bodies into hideous forms, their melodic voices into cries of fury and hatred. The light became dark and the sublime, wicked. The fallen angels became devils.

Chaos was enraged by this twice-theft; it took form and called its form Demogorgon, the progenitor of all demons. Demogorgon created a host of demons to make war on the upstart, Canaan.

It was at that time that The Adversary escaped through the gates of Hell and implored Demogorgon to show it the location of Turgos. The Adversary whispered to Demogorgon its plan to taint Canaan’s creation on Turgos and cause it to turn against Canaan. The Adversary was skeptical of such an intricately indirect attack on The Great Thief, but allowed The Adversary one chance to make his plan work. The Adversary failed.

And being the most impatient and furious of its kind, Demogorgon lashed out at The Adversary for this failure. But The Adversary was no stranger to betrayal. He was ready for Demogorgon’s attack. And wary of fighting that great being on its own turf, The Adversary immediately fled back to Hell.

A great war ensued between Hell and The Abyss. This great Bloodwar continues to this day. But neither power forgot Canaan and their hatred for Him. In fact, while The Adversary may have been unsuccessful in tainting Canaan’s creation, he was successful in bridging the divide between Hell and Turgos in such a way that Hell could access Turgos without going through The Abyss. Fearing the eventual betrayal by Demogorgon that it knew would come, this portal, this Jacob’s Ladder, would serve the forces of Hell to further their efforts to corrupt the humans and others of Turgos. But it had another purpose as well. For The Adversary did not stop building the ladder at Turgos. No, he continued building to Heaven.

Millennia later, The Adversary used Jacob’s Ladder to invade Heaven. But Canaan was ready. Canaan’s heavenly hosts, immortal and dazzling arcons, angels and devas, met the hordes of fiends and eventually triumphed over the fallen rebel army. The surviving devils retreated to Hell and Canaan smashed Jacob’s Ladder between Heaven and Turgos and posted the Angel Dariel at what had been the top of Jacob’s Ladder to watch for eternity should The Adversary try that trick again.

But the portion of Jacob’s Ladder between Hell and Turgos remained intact. It continues to exist to this day, a place of great evil, a hellmouth. It resides under a place at the center of The Wildlands, called Rappan’Athuk.

Over the centuries, devils came and went freely from Rappan’Athuk into Turgos, their efforts to taint mortals becoming ever more successful. Some of the more powerful of their kind became worshipped as gods.

Eventually, Demogorgon learned of Jacob’s Ladder, and it launched its own plan to wrest it from Hell. Demogorgon sent the first and most powerful of demons—formed from its own flesh—to Turgos to guard Jacob’s Ladder and assure that no devils came and went from that place, effectively choking off fiendish ingress and egress in Turgos. That demon is like no other of its kind. It is nearly as old as Demogorgon and contains the spark of eternity that is Chaos, as this demon was formed from Chaos made form. This Cthonic being is known as Orcus, and its might is terrible, indeed.

As time passed, the devils trapped on Turgos battled Orcus to no avail. They either failed or became diminished enough that Canaan was able to imprison the survivors in a deep slumber from which they would never awake. They became known as the Sleeping Gods of Shuuth, as they are in that land, still worshipped. And so, due to Demogorgon’s intervention, using the Cthonic being Orcus, only the most powerful of devils may translate to Turgos on their own, but even then it is only at great personal cost that they may do so. Others must be called or summoned or otherwise bound by willing mortals who take great personal risk at doing so.

Sages theorize that Orcus cannot leave Rappan’Athuk without leaving Jacob’s Ladder unguarded. And it is for this reason alone that he has not made war on Turgos. Others theorize that Orcus is in league with the forces of Hell and that The Abyss and Hell are working together to corrupt humanity. And yet others claim that Hell plots to topple Orcus’s reign over Rappan’Athuk to be allowed unfettered access to Turgos. Above all, however, one thing is certain; that is, with so much attention focused on this tiny world, something is going to give…eventually.”

I told no one else of Helena’s story. It was so unbelievable, so utterly preposterous. There was nothing before Canaan. He created the world. He created mankind in His own image. Nothing existed before Him. These were lies. They had to be.

Yet, even then I recall back now as I write this, Helena's story evoked a visceral reaction in me. I remember perspiring at the memory.

Afterward, while I was cleaning up in an adjacent antechamber to one of Balian's vast libraries, I overheard Balian instructing Hu Li. Curiosity got the better of me and I silently padded around the corner to get a peek.

I saw Balian holding open an ornately carved ebony wooden box.

"This is a powerful weapon of magic that should not be used lightly." I could hear Balian instructing Hu Li in his characteristically shrill voice. "Your foes, if encountered together, will be too much for you and your firends." He continued.

Hu Li's lip curled in derision. "Oh master, please! We slew them like lambs to the slaughter. My powers are more than a match for those fools."

Balian straightened and inhaled as if to blast Hu Li with a series of scathing insults. But instead, his voice became deeper and stern. The wild look was gone from his face, replaced by a stoic mein. In a measured and grave tone, Balian spoke to his apprentice. "These foes are beyond you Apprentice. Do not let Hubris be the source of your destruction. You face a fanatic Priest of Orcus and a powerful knight, one known as a Black Guard in service to that fell being, and not least of all, you face an Aquan Sorceress of some skill. Together, they will destroy you."

Hu Li's jaw dropped.

So did mine.

I never heard Balian speak so lucidly and what he had to say was bone chilling. We were in way over our heads.

The wild look and shrill voice returned, "neutralize the Black Guard while you and your friends deal with the Priest and Sorceress. But do it at the beginning of the battle, before your friends are anywhere near them. If you meet these three together in a room it will already be too late."

"Yes, yes, master. I will do as you say." Hu Li rolled his eyes and casually reached for the box.

"This is VERY important! Do not PATRONIZE me!" Balian was frothing at the mouth as he screamed and backhanded Hu Li across the face.

"Yes Master! You are right Master! I am foolish Master! I deserve to be disciplined Master!" Hu Li sycophantically yelped as he cowered, covering his face.

Balian sighed. "I don't know why I put up with you. You are an arrogant fool!"

Balian closed the box with a snap and held it out to Hu Li. "Here. Take it. Do not disappoint me, Apprentice. Do not disappoint Turgos." At that, Balian turned to leave.

I ducked back around the corner and pretended not to have heard the exchange. Balian glowered as he passed by, seeming to not have noticed me. I sighed in relief.

We rode back to Goldfire Glen in silence. Gabriel and Hu Li’s debates had mercifully ended. Hu Li had acquired a pet that clung to his shoulder. A small, yellow ferret he named “Greater Daemon.”

“It is a gift from my Master.” he told us. “Greater Daemon shall serve as my familiar, yes…”

Before the sun had completely set, we had rode into the village streets and come to the door of the Feisty Fox, where we had planned on collecting Aesendal. We dismounted our horses and strode up to the door of the tavern.

It was locked.

When we knocked there was no answer.

“Did you hear that?” Asked Gabriel. None of us had heard anything untoward. “Inside. It’s Aesendal. Stand back.”

We obeyed. Gabriel stepped up to the door, took in a long, deep breath and brought two fists up over his head. With a shout, he pounded his fists downward onto the door’s bolted latch.

With a great crack the latch split in twain and fell to the landing. The door swung open.

We ran in to find the Shuuthian shopkeeper bound to a chair in the center of the tavern. Aesendal was standing over him, a hand raised as if to strike.

The sorcerer’s gloves had been removed, exposing his hands. We all halted at the sight. Aesendal’s hands had mutated. They are covered with brass scales to the wrist and each finger bore sharp talons the length of a robin’s wing feather. His reptilian eyes were ablaze with fury.

The Shuuthian saw us and cried out.

“Please!” He said. “This man is mad! He is accusing me of the most horrible things! He is going to torture me! Please stop him! I am innocent! I am innocent!”

Aesendal retracted his claws, but struck the man across his cheek with the back of his scaled hand. The shopkeeper’s head snapped to his side and he fell unconscious.

Gabriel and Lilian rushed up to the enraged sorcerer.

“His was the only structure in all of Goldfire Glen found untouched!” Aesendal was shouting. “He knew! He knew what was coming! He’s in league with them! I know it!”

I quickly checked on the shopkeeper and found, though bruised by the strike, he was otherwise unharmed.

“He is evil!” Aesendal continued in a mad rage. “You said so yourself, Lilian! He needs to be punished!”

“And he will be.” Lilian answered softly. “He needs to be turned over to the Baron for questioning.”

“No!” Spurted Hu Li, who now stood by Aesendal. “He needs to be dragged into the square and skinned alive. Then the shavings from his flesh should be boiled in his own blood and fed to the children who were left starving and parentless by this attack.”\

The outburst left the rest of us stunned into silence. I admit, though I appreciated his sentiment and desire for justice, the vision he inspired was no better than the depravity the Cultists had left behind.

“There has been enough blood.” I finally said.

“What do you know, priest?” Hu Li slithered. “This is not even your home. You’re an outcast. A transient. A pariah…”

“Enough!” Lilian commanded. “We will turn this man over the proper authorities and that is final! We do not torture people here. That is not our way!”

No one argued. Gabriel nudged Aesendal over to the bar and poured him a pint of beer. The sorcerer chugged the draught down and proceeded to cover his scaled hands with his gloves. Curiosity got the better of me and I moved closer to hear their conversation.

“What is happening to you?” Gabriel asked Aesendal.

“Our home has been ransacked. Friends murdered…”

“No, I mean with your hands. Your eyes. You’re changing.” Gabriel persisted. “What manner of creature are you, Aesendal?”

“I am human. Just like any other.” His answer was short and terse. He moved from the bar up over to the Shuuthian.

“Get this scum out of here.” He said.

A message was sent to the village guard and within an hour Captain Tiberon arrived at the Feisty Fox with a small contingent of soldiers and arrested the shopkeeper, who had since regained consciousness and went with the soldiers without a struggle.

Gabriel apologized to Aesendal for breaking his lock. He told him we all thought he was in danger. Aesendal ignored the apology and quickly constructed a crude beam from a slab of wood and, with Gabriel’s help, nailed the plank over the door of his tavern.

The inn secured, we mounted our horses and rode into the forest outside the village, making our way to secluded abode of Talon’s master, where both the stoic monk and the afflicted druid, Shale, awaited our return.

When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by a most welcomed sight. Shale was up and about and smiling healthfully.

“Those mushrooms worked.” He said. “Talon’s master concocted a deeply tinctured paste from the gills of the fungus and fed it to me. Within hours the toxin had left me.”

“Where is Talon?” Lilian asked.

“Out gathering wood with his master. Please, come in and sit down.”
Shale had brewed some sweet, tan tea and poured each of us a small cup’s worth.

Talon and his Master soon returned. Over more tea and some stale, but flavorful biscuits, Lilian and Gabriel led the discussion filling in the others as to what had transpired at Balian’s Tower.

“You must make haste and rescue Tanner.” Talon’s master told us. “I may not subscribe to the dogma of Canaanism, but innocence is innocence, and has great power to those who wish to distort and abuse it, be they Green, Arcane, Infernal or otherwise. Whatever the Cultists are planning to do to that boy, it must not come to pass.”

Shale and Talon gathered their supplies and mounted their own horses. The sun had long since set by the time we were on our way. As we passed the outskirts of Goldfire Glen, we spotted two horsemen galloping urgently toward us. Lilian drew her sword and I grabbed hold of my mace as the other riders narrowed the gap between us. Shale had his hand on the pommel of his scimitar and both Gabriel and Talon had stiffened, ready to strike.

Hu Li and Aesendal could both be heard quietly chanting.

As the two riders closed in, the small amount of moonlight that illuminated them revealed their coat of arms to be those of Goldfire Glen and the Baron. Lilian sheathed her sword and held up a hand in greeting.

“Lady Lilian!” One of them called. “Is the priest amongst you named Evora Faro?”

All eyes turned to me.

“Yes.” She answered for me.

“I am Evoro Faro.” I said, inching my horse closer to the Baron’s men.

“The prisoner, the Shuuthian shopkeeper, he demands to see a Canaanite Priest. He refuses to speak of his crimes to any other until he has had an audience a Priest. You are the only Priest in Goldfire Glen qualified to take confession. We are glad you haven’t left yet.”

“More delays and trickery.” Aesendal hissed. “Ignore him. We cannot be delayed a moment longer!”

“No.” Lilian responded quietly. She locked eyes with one of the town guards. “Lead the way. We will meet with him. If his testimony, be it a confession or not, provides any insight into the plans of our adversaries, then I wish to know of it.”

“This is a mistake.” Said Gabriel, but he was ignored as we galloped behind the two guards.

In the flickering shadows of torchlight, we were all led down to the cell where the shopkeeper was being held. It was agreed, after much debate, that all of us were to attend this meeting, despite the prisoner’s demands.

He was sitting quietly in the center of his cell, his eyes closed, his breathing relaxed and almost content.

When he opened his eyes and beheld us all standing just beyond the bars of his cell, he sneered.

“I will speak only to the Priest.” He said.

“You will speak to all of us.” Lilian answered firmly. “We understand you wish to confess your sins. A priest is here to listen to your declaration of guilt.”

“Confession?” Said the Shuuthian, twisting his mouth into a wide grin. “Of my sins? Of MY sins?” His voice took on a commanding but feminine voice.

He suddenly stood, his eyes black as pitch. His clothes were ripped from him by some invisible force as he shed his polymorphed form, revealing a supple, milky white feminine body, fully exposed and free of any shame. Black bat wings spread out from behind the back of the creature. Long, silky hair, the color of the night sky, draped over a transmogrified face. Two tiny horns protruded from the fiend’s head. A forked tail slapped the ground behind it, sending up a cloud of dirt and dust.

Ruby lips smiled showing gleaming, white fanged teeth.

“I HAVE SINNED AGAINST CANAAN HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF TIMES. HIS LAWS MEAN NOTHING TO ME. CANAAN IS NO MORE THAN A COMMON THIEF. WHAT RIGHT DOES HE HAVE TO JUDGE ME? IT IS CANAAN WHO MUST ATONE FOR HIS SINS! THE TIME IS NIGH FOR THE TRUE GODS OF OLD TO TAKE BACK WHAT WAS STOLEN FROM THEM! CHAOS WILL REIGN ON TURGOS AND CANAAN’S FAVORED CREATION WILL BE SNUFFED OUT OF EXISTENCE, LIKE THE BOY’S SOUL! AND SO IT WAS AND SO IT SHALL BE! THAT WHICH WAS OURS WE SHALL ONCE AGAIN CLAIM! CANAAN’S THEFT SHALL BE AVENGED! YOU ARE ALREADY TOO LATE!”

She cackled cruelly as she faded from sight.

Lilian focused on the spot where the demon once stood.

“She is gone.” Lilian said.

“I should have killed that thing when I had the chance!” Aesendal spat.

“You never had that chance.” I told him. “That thing is a succubus, a very powerful fiend of the Abyss. We are no match for it. It is merely toying with us.”

I turned to Lilian.

“I fear your brother and Aesendal were right. This was nothing more than a ploy to delay us.”

Lilian nodded.

“Then we shall delay no longer. Shale…” she said turning to the druid. “I beg of you, lead us through the Wildlands. Tanner waits to be rescued. We will not be so easily distracted again.”

Replaying the succubus’s words in my mind and remembering Helena’s tale, I shuddered. Doubt had taken seed. I feared what it might become.

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 15: Hu Li's Madness

For three days we unremittingly rode, stopping only to sleep for a few precious hours before saddling up again and continuing into the Wildlands. Shale expertly escorted us past many potentially fatal encounters. Without the druid and the Green’s aid, I fear we would have never reached Tanner.

As it was, we closely followed the directions provided to us by Balian and Helena’s scrying, and caught sight of the ruined tower as the sun was setting in the East. Its sole parapet was crumbling above the tops of a wide copse of trees. Both Gabriel and Talon swore they saw movement on the parapet. It was humanoid, they said, gaunt and bent.

We proceeded with great caution. At Lilian’s suggestion, we dismounted and led our mounts closer to the base of the tower as quietly as possible.

It was built within a clearing. A short, disintegrating wall, no taller than an adolescent, surrounded the tower’s base. Several hide tents with wood beams and siding had been hastily raised between the path that entered the clearing and large wooden door reinforced with iron banding at the tower’s only ingress.

We tethered our horses to some tree trucks several hundred paces from the clearing and convened to plan our assault.

Gabriel and Talon would scout ahead and determine if any Cultists were currently residing in any of the tents. If there was any sign of them, the two would return immediately with as detailed a report as possible. All were in agreement and the scouts initiated the plan.

Many minutes passed in silence. I quietly prayed to Canaan to aid us in the coming fight, and to keep Tanner safe and free from fear. Something tugged at the back of mind.

Lilian stood by her horse, lost in thought. Shale sat at the base of a tree, his legs folded in a lotus position, his eyes closed. Aesendal kept pacing back and forth at the edge of our ad-hoc enclave, while Hu Li quietly petted and cooed at Greater Daemon.

A shout rang out as a cultist pushed open the flap of one of the tents only to see Gabriel skulking about. Gabriel leapt to the attack, grappling the poor sot in a strangle hold, while the cultist’s fellows armed themselves and readied to attack the brawler.

Movement in the other tents signaled that they had been alerted to their fellow’s cries. Seeing a cultist emerging from a nearby tent, Talon dropped into a roll and swiped the feet out from under the unsuspecting miscreant. He dropped prone and Talon finished him with a flurry of blows as he tried to get up.

Lilian spurred her horse into the fray, slicing through a charging cultist as his swing went wide. His eyes widened and he dropped his longsword. Lilian had sent another soul screaming back to the Abyss. She prayed to Canaan that his divine justice be served this day.

Three of the cultists emerged from another tent and charged Gabriel. Effortlessly, he broke the neck of the grappled cultist, but his attention so taken, he did not notice his fellows closing on him. One of the cultists from inside the tent jabbed a spear at Gabriel’s side, causing him to gasp in pain as he dropped the strangled corpse. One of the three cultists charging him managed to open a wound down his arm as he dodged and parried, tumbling to regroup out of harm’s way.

Hu Li’s shrill voice could be heard sucking in words, rather than uttering them. A summoned dog appeared moments later and dropped one of the cultists harrying Gabriel.

Then the air became moist and the smell of freshly tilled earth filled my nostrils as Shale’s thick voice drifted on the wind. Vines twisted and writhed around the ankles of the remaining cultists, while Gabriel and Talon managed to leap out of the way at the last moment. So entangled, the cultists were no match for us. They all perished.

After the last cultist fell, both Gabriel and Talon padded up to us, slightly winded.

“The tents are covered in weird symbols.” Gabriel added. “Painted with blood.”

Hu Li took an interest.

“What sort of symbols?” He asked with repressed excitement.

“I have no idea.” Impatiently answered Gabriel. “But it appears the tents are made out of human skin. We saw faces stretched and tanned in the fabric. Does that delight you as well, Hu Li?”

Hu Li started to nod and betray a smirk, but upon seeing our horrified faces staring back at him, he quickly modified his reaction and feigned unconvincingly a disturbed seeming.

“If we are to act, we should act now.” Talon said.

“Yes.” Answered Lilian, sauntering up on her horse. “The way is clear. They won’t see us coming.”

Shale spoke a word and the roots and vines stopped writhing. I readied a blessing and took hold of my mace as we snuck forward into the clearing. The way to the tower’s entrance was clear. We were almost upon it when we were all startled and shaken from our duty by a sweet, gentle and lulling song that floated down from the roof of the tower like a placid, cool rainfall that comes after years of drought.

The dark night sky transformed into day, and floating before the sapphire firmament was a dazzling beauty, laced in flowing amber silks, and bearing great, silvery feathered wings. Her song was boring into me ever so gently, ever so lovingly, as, where I cannot recall a single note or word of it, I fondly remember the feeling it instilled in me.

That fondness only adds to the revulsion, for a second voice radiated somewhere deep within me. It demanded I combat the intoxicating effects of the music, for if I failed to do so, I was destined to perdition.

At that moment the bright blue skies plummeted back into night’s darkness and the beguiling beauty twisted into a horrid creature. The robes became a tattered, mud-caked jacket of brown feathers. The milky, smooth legs mangled into bald, vulture’s feet. The alluring, cherubic face melted into a desiccated, scarred visage of a hag.

The song too died, replaced by a shrill caw.

A harpy, and it was hungry for flesh.

It plummeted down, going straight for Lilian. She dove out of its path, but not before it reared back up, digging its extended talons into her back. Lines of blood erupted from Lilian’s ravaged back and she fell to the ground.

I ran over to her, praying to Canaan for His healing grace. Her wounds healed instantly.

I heard the melee around and above me. Hu Li was begging the others to stop their assault on the harpy.

“Come, my love!” He kept repeating. “I am yours! Don’t you see her? She is an angel! Behold her celestial breasts! Golden as the dawn! Full of healing sustenance! How can you be so cruel? How can you be so heartless?”

Clearly he had been taken by the harpy’s song and was hopelessly absorbed by its enchantment.

Aesendal pointed a finger at the creature and a gray beam erupted from it. The creature flew upward and twisted clear of the beam’s path.

Shale had crouched behind one of the tents and began cawing and screeching, looking expectantly into the sky, calling on The Green for one of nature's allies. Answering his call, a giant eagle appeared in the sky, screeching angrily as it fell toward the harpy.

Gabriel and Talon grabbed hold of bits of debris, pieces of the ruined tower that littered the ground, heaving them at the creature. It availed us little as the beast remained aloft, safely out of the range of their throws.

Suddenly the creature dove earthward. In a flash it grabbed Hu Li by its talons and shot upward. Shale’s summoned eagle tore at the beast’s face, digging its ample beak and sharp claws deep into it. The harpy howled in pain, slashed at the eagle with its hands and held all the tighter onto Hu Li.

It vanished from view as it cleared the tower’s roof.

Lilian rose to her feet. We all looked up toward the top of the tower. Shale, Aesendal, Lilian and I, looked on helplessly as Talon and Gabriel climbed up the walls of the tower in a desperate attempt to reach Hu Li before he was consumed in his ecstasy by the harpy.

We could all hear the wizard’s exaltations.

“Yes!” He cried. “Oh! Your breasts! Such jewels! Such succulent mangoes! Take me! Take me to your blissful domicile, my angel! I am yours for always! My life! My love! Take my seed and shower it over your children! I am yours!”

I secretly thanked Canaan that I was privy only to the sound of the unholy copulation; for I feared had my eyes beheld the act, recovery from such a vision would have been unattainable.

I heard the harpy let out a squeal of rage, followed immediately by a loud crack of bone.

Hu Li erupted into a prolonged outburst of complete ecstasy.

Gabriel’s disgusted face appeared over the edge of the tower’s roof.

“The harpy’s dead!” He said. “I broke its neck.”

Talon’s face peered down next to Gabriel.

“Stay where you are.” The monk said looking back at Hu Li. “We are coming down.”

“What of Hu Li?” Asked Lilian.

The two men gave each other a quick glance.

“He’ll be fine.” They said at the same time.

After collecting a few dozen coins and some jewels that the harpy had hoarded, Talon, Gabriel and Hu Li climbed back down using some tethered together ropes they had found near the beast’s nest.

Hu Li was covered in some unmentionable substance. He reeked of vulture dung blended with an all but overpowering scent of rotting mackerel. Greater Daemon, who had fallen from his master’s shoulders when the harpy nabbed him, skittered up Hu Li’s robe, popping out behind the hood and draping himself over Hu Li’s shoulder.

Aesendal moved up to the soiled wizard muttering an arcane poem while waving his hands over the stains in Hu Li’s robe. A prestidigitation. An instant later, the smell and stains evaporated.

“That thing was guarding this place. If the Cultists are here,” said Lilian “Then they know we are as well.”

I looked up at the sky, the stars twinkled in the black soup above me. The moon was nowhere to be seen. The urgency of the moment suddenly clamped down on me like a rabid hound’s jaw.

It was the night of the new moon. There was no doubt the sacrifice of Tanner had begun.

“We must hurry.” I said.

We all moved to the tower. Gabriel motioned for us to stop an wait as he strode over to the tents and picked up a large, flat sheet of wood. He returned, planting it down in front of the door.

“Everyone behind the wood,” he whispered. “I heard voices from in there. They are waiting for us.”

We did as he suggested. A moment later, from the side of the tower, Gabriel deftly opened the door with a thrust, not exposing himself to the entrance. A series of well-aimed arrows erupted from the bows of several cultists who had been laying in wait, just as Gabriel predicted.

Thanks to Gabriel’s clever thinking, none of us were hurt. A short and rushed battle ensued as the brawler, the monk and Lilian charged the waiting cultists, who, armed with bows, were not ready for the assault. Lilian’s sword cleaved one of the unfortunate cultists, while Gabriel snapped the neck of a second, and Talon landed a flurry of blows on the remaining two.

A downward staircase greeted us. Aesendal and Hu Li both held spheres of light in their hands, illuminating the well hued, but plain stone walls and floor that surrounded us.
Gabriel and Talon led the way through the shadows, Gabriel still holding on to the wood sheet. We moved ever so slowly, mindful of traps and other possible diabolical impediments.

It did not take long for one to show itself. Gabriel stepped on a loose pressure plate in the floor, triggering four crossbow bolts to fire out of the walls in front of us, but carrying the wooden sheet, the bolts harmlessly stuck into it instead of Gabriel and Talon. We continued on, much more alert.

We passed by a closed door in the wall to our left. It opened up to an empty room. Bare shelving units lined the walls and the floor was covered in shattered clay bowls, barrels and pots.

Gabriel insisted on using the wooden sheet as a shield to block any other possible traps should they be tripped. Our pace slowed even further. Anxiety and worry over the fate of Tanner and the success of our foes threatened to utterly consume me. My thoughts drifted to Helena’s story of the supposed theft of Canaan, of the omen and dire warning from the succubus. If we failed, there would be no hope for Turgos, evil would reign and it would matter not what the true story of Creation was, for only fear, horror and despondency would rule our world.

I heard a crack and thud in front of us. Gabriel and his wooden sheet had disappeared. We all looked to the floor to see a gaping hole set in the middle of our path.

Gabriel had fallen in.

He was unharmed, but once again, we were delayed. We dropped a rope down to Gabriel and helped him climb up. He did not hide his frustration.

“They’re crafty.” He said as he cleared the edge of the pit. “These villains.”

“Yes.” Hu Li chimed in. “No one would ever expect a pit in a dungeon. Most clever. Most inventive. Clearly they foresaw you lugging a door around with you and planned accordingly.”

I saw Gabriel’s knuckles turn white as he balled his hands into fists before taking hold of the door again.

Beyond the pit was a short landing that ended in a solid wall.

We had reached a dead end.

As we turned about, at the end of the corridor, we all spotted what appeared to be torch light moving toward us.

As it came closer I noticed it wasn’t a torch at all, but a skeletal head, immolated in red and orange flames. The head floated atop of humanoid frame, wrapped in strips of burial cloth.

Lilian unsheathed her blade. Aesendal and Hu Li both began their evocations. I held aloft my Canaan Cross, lifting it in front of me, shouting, “Back! Back, foul spirit! Back to the pit from which you came!”

The creature’s fleshless jaw opened up at my command and let out of high pitched cruel cackle.

Gabriel and Talon leapt on it, but it merely pushed them to the side, flinging them up against the wall of the corridor, completely unimpeded. Shale ran forth, brandishing his scimitar. He sliced into the mummified hide of the creature, but it only laughed again.

Hu Li took in a quick, unearthly breath, and a hound, haloed in a golden aura leapt from the ether and bit down on the monster.

The fiend howled in agony.

Aesendal took in his own deep breath and vomit forth a stream of acid that struck the creature square in the chest. It was flung back several feet and sent skidding on the floor.

Lilian fearlessly bounded up to it.

“In the name of Canaan,” She shouted “I smite thee and send thee back to Hell!”

Her blade was enveloped in a blinding white light. She plunged the blade clean through the creature, cutting deep. No blood emerged from the wound. It let out only a short cry. The flames extinguished from around the skull and its movements ceased. The skull fell loose from their conjured moorings and rolled along the floor.

When it stopped it disintegrated into dust.

Fighting down the urge to celebrate our victory and lose even more time as well as clarity, we ventured onward, doubly cautious.

That cautiousness will prove nearly fatal.

Gabriel and Talon had fished the door out of the pit and Gabriel took hold of it again as he led the way through the dank corridors.

We approached another room. Gabriel entered first holding the wooden shield in front of him so as to deflect arrow or bolt traps. We heard the sound of an underwater voice as Gabriel stiffened, encased in some sort of brackish film. The smell of rotten fish exuded from him and threatened to sicken us all.

At the sight of her brother, Lilian rushed into the room. None of us could see a thing with that damnable wooden shield Gabriel insisted on carrying blocking our view of the room’s denizens. More chanting could be heard.

A blade swung out, striking Lilian in the back as she rushed into the room. She crumpled to the floor. A tall man completely encased in a suit of black plate armor emerged from the side of the room into full view. He hovered over Lilian for a moment and raised his sword high over his head to strike a killing blow. His sword glowed with red runes along its blade. It hurt my eyes to look at them.

Aesendal interrupted the Black Knight’s death blow with a regurgitated torrent of acid that burned and sizzled on the man’s armor. The knight stepped back, bumping into Gabriel and knocking his wooden sheet loose.

I immediately spotted Tanner. The boy was bound to an altar painted with inverted pentagrams.

A black and crimson robed priest moved up to the boy, bearing an ornate, jagged knife.

The priest sneered and turn toward me, brandishing the knife.

“Heathens!” He shouted. “Death to you all!”

I ignored him and rushed up to the fallen Lilian.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw, huddled in a corner to the right of the room’s entrance a woman whose flesh was the hue of a sylvan pond. She was surrounded by a thin sheet of undulating liquid.

She was chanting. Her voice was distant and muddled, as if she was completely submerged in water.

The others bound into the chamber. Shale stared at the priest and uttered an incantation to reveal his true form. Shale gasped.

“Dark Fae.” He sighed and lunged at him, brandishing his scimitar. The dark elf parried the attack effortlessly with his own curved sword.

Talon engaged the armored knight, but his bare hands and feet proved useless against the corrupted champion’s solid suit of black metal.

I called out to Canaan for his blessing. I felt His presence come to us in our time of need. But the Dark Priest quickly intoned his own blessing to Orcus and Canaan’s light faded.

I knelt over Lilian. She lay on her stomach, all but floating in a pool of her own blood that leaked from her back. I reached out to heal her, but was bowled over but the priest who flung himself at me in a mad rage.

I seized my mace as our roll came to an end. I blindly swung out, catching only air.

A fist swung out above me. It landed on the priest’s cheek, sending him reeling back. I looked up to see Talon above me, his hand reaching out to me. I took hold of it and was pulled up.

“Lilian’s in trouble.” I told him.

“We all are.” Was his response.

The battle ensued all around me. Shale and the dark fae, Priest of Orcus locked blades. Talon was still beating on the black knight, gaining no ground, but avoiding the villain’s blade with effortless ease.

The priest came back at Shale and me. This time I was ready. I caught the side of his head with my mace. He reeled back, but still stood.

“The boy’s soul shall be consumed!” He hissed, his voice bloated with madness. “You have failed!”

Shale retreated from battle into the corridor and began howling like a wolf, calling out to The Green. Hu Li’s voice joined the cacophony as he brought into being a summoned haloed hound. Just then a wolf bounded past Shale as he completed his call to The Green to send aid. The canine and lupine bound into the room, growling angrily as they threatened the sorceress.

But the sorceress had been busy, four water-soaked mirror images sprang into being around her and shifted slightly around the area where she stood. The summoned monsters attacked with abandon.

While they were thusly engaged, the sorceress worked more of her fell magic. With a word that sounded like a gurgle, she pointed and three watery globes of green water flew from her fingertips and pounded into Aesendal’s chest, interrupting his next attempt to breathe acid on the Black Knight.

Talon was having no luck against the Dark Knight. I was holding my own against the Priest. Then he called out, “Orcus, lord of darkness and night, your humble servant begs of you, smite this Canaanite’s sight!” A blindness spell.

I felt a heavy darkness come over me and I prayed fervently that the will of Canaan overcome this dark priest. The light returned and I thanked Canaan for smiling upon me.

But the priest had turned his attention to Talon, leaving me a moment to act. I seized the moment and rushed to the cocooned Gabriel. Thinking quickly, I began to utter a short prayer to purify food and drink.

The black knight disengaged with the ineffective Talon and, cackling under his helm, plunged his red-runed blade down at me. I managed to parry the ebony hued sword with my mace, but the force of the blow reverberated through my arm, clear up to my shoulder. I bit down the pain, rolled clear of the knight and scrambled to my feet.

Aesendal, who suddenly stood between me, took in a deep breath and let out a torrent of acid. It arched over Talon and rained down on the priest.

The priest did not scream. His face was instantly eaten away by the torrent and he fell into a burning clump of melted flesh. But he still breathed.

The black knight howled, broke from his melee and angled in on Aesendal.

The sorceress, managing to elude the wolf and dog and with two mirror images left, raised a hand and three more glowing globules of water shot forth, watery magic missiles, pummeling Aesendal, and throwing him up against a wall.

I touched the watery bindings that held Gabriel. Light flickered around the odorous cocoon, then instantly flickered out. My effort failed.

Hu Li summoned another hound. It joined its brother snapping at the legs of the sorceress. She was pulled to the floor, and the first dog vanished.

Shale again called out to The Green for aid and another wolf appeared moments later to harass the Sorceress. He once again wielded his scimitar and joined the fray.

The dark knight kept his focus on the sorcerer. I called out to Talon who was standing near the knight, but it was too late. The knight spoke, “meet your death at Murder’s edge, wyrmkin.” The red-runes on the knight’s ebony blade flared as the blade sliced through the back of Aesendal’s neck. The sorcerer’s head rolled down his back and dropped to the floor.

Talon howled and leapt on the back of the knight. I rushed the armored foe. Shale tumbled around to meet the knight on the opposite side of me.

The tyrant was surrounded, but it was short lived. He lunged backward into the chamber’s wall, crushing Talon, who loosed his hold and fell to the floor, stunned.

Shale and I brought our weapons to bear against the knight, but our metal was deflected by the well crafted suit of armor that protected the villain.

“Death comes! Death, so glorious. So beautiful!”

The outburst did not come from either the sorceress or the knight. It had come from Hu Li, standing in the room’s entrance. The small case that Balian had given him was opened at his feet. He held a tiny bead of pulsing blackness between his fingers, a sickening mad grimace dominating his ivory face.

“Death to all who oppose the will of the Eyeless Hollow Ones! Yes!”

The sorceress’ eyes widened, but she could not leave as she was pinned by Shale’s wolf and Hu Li’s second dog, her mirror images finally gone.

Gabriel’s cocoon evaporated and he fell to the floor, taking in a labored, deep breath.

Shale whipped around to look at Hu Li. Recognition dawned on his face. He went pale. “Everyone!” Shouted Shale. “Out! Now!”

Gabriel turned, seeing Lilian’s corpse for the first time. His face contorted in pain and grief. He screamed out.

“Lilian! Nooooooooooooooo!”

He ran to his twin sister, craddling her head in his arms and crying.

I looked to the boy, still bound to the makeshift altar.

Talon tumbled from the room. Hu Li backed into shadows.

Shale ran for the door, but was tripped by the priest, giving the dark knight time to bring his blade, Murder, down to bear on him, cleaving his left shoulder to the bone.

I lunged for the boy. Tanner’s eyes opened as I draped my body over him, to shield him from the blast that was about to come.

There was no conflict within me. If by my dying the next Voice and Will of Canaan would survive, my life would have had some worth and I could go to Canaan in peace.

Tanner looked up at me. He smiled.

“Don’t be afraid.” I said.

“There is nothing to fear.” He answered. “Canaan is with us.” His voice, though that of a child, held within it such a timeless wisdom and calm, that whatever lingering fear I may have had, was washed away. He would live. That much was certain.

I was ready to die.

I twisted my head around in time to catch Hu Li tossing the bead at the knight. It glimmered with a pitch black light from within. I turned my face away and closed me eyes.

There was first a flash of indigo light, then an explosion. A concussive wave slammed into my back. I held Tanner close.

Fire, steel and ice, all sensations of pain tore through me.

A moment later it was over. I opened my eyes, ready to see the Face of Canaan smiling down at me, but what I saw was blood, bone and gore splattered on the walls around me.

Tanner laid under me, unharmed, his face serene and calm.

“You see?” He said. “We are safe.”

The pain was so complete I could barely move, but I fought down the crippling agony and managed to roll over and stand. Aesendal’s body, so close to the epicenter of the blast, was completely destroyed, its remains painting one of the walls.

Lilian’s body, twisted and burned, still lay on the floor.

The knight stood in the center of the room, entirely encased in a smooth, iridescent indigo sphere. The priest's head was knocked into the side of the marble altar by the blast. It broke open his skull. He died.

Shale lay at the door, his back to me, but his face, staring blankly over his good shoulder, was completely turned about on a ruined neck.

Gabriel had been blasted from the room. He and Talon hurried in. Talon took hold of me. Gabriel took hold of his sister, still crying and in pain, both from the loss of his sister and Hu Li’s blast.

“Gabriel, we need you to be strong. Take the boy. He needs your help. He is an innocent. There will be time for all of us to grieve when this danger has passed.” Talon urged.

Gabriel whipped his head around, seemingly about to berate Talon, and at the last moment gathered his senses. Wiping away a tear, he unbound the boy and carried him out and Talon carried me out of the complex, barely conscious.

Just then, the room darkened. The hair on the back of my neck rose. I felt a heavy, thoroughly evil presence. A deep thick voice boomed. “You failed, priest! Your soul is mine!”

We heard an ethereal scream come from the corpse of the fallen dark fae priest and the sounds of chains followed. The screams got farther and farther away. After a few moments, we couldn’t hear them anymore and the darkness left the room. It returned to normal. Whatever that creature was that claimed the priest’s soul, I have no desire to meet it in my lifetime.

The blast from the bead of force destroyed the summoned monsters and nature's allies harrowing the Sorceress, but left the Sorceress untouched. She stood. Hu Li muttered an incantation under his breath and re-entered the room, seemingly holding another pulsating black pearl in each hand. He faced the Sorceress cackling.

“Oh, no, my dear!” He was saying. “You’re going nowhere!”

Talon and Gabriel turned back toward the sound, following it to the end of a hallway.

The water sorceress was kneeling before Hu Li, her hands up in a sign of surrender.

“I was merely a pawn!” She was saying. “I was merely his concubine. That is all! I know nothing else!”

I was dropped to the floor. It was then I realized Gabriel had held me.

“You will tell us everything!” He said, lunging at the woman. Some film that surrounded her reflected his hands. She swallowed the urge to smile.

“Witch!” Cried Gabriel. “My sister is dead because of you! Tell us everything, or by Canaan, you will join her!”

“Please!” She cried. “I know nothing! Show mercy! Show mercy!”

She began to wave her hands about. Something sparkled betwixt her fingers. We all saw it. Hu Li was the first to respond.

He held up another black pearl in his fingers. He bent over the witch, menacing her with it.

“Ah, ah, ah!” He said. “We’ll have none of that.”

Her hands stopped at the sight of the pearl.

“Let her go.” I heard myself saying as I lay on the floor.

All faces turned to me.

“My sister is dead, Evora!” Cried Gabriel, as tears of rage bubbled into his eyes.

“I know.” I answered through my pain. “And you demand justice. I know. By letting her go, she will be forced to report back to her masters her failure to sacrifice Tanner. Whatever fate awaits her will be far worse than anything we can administer.”

There was a silence, a tacit agreement to what I had said. In the quiet, the sorceress scrambled to her feet and fled.

“You had three of those things?” Gabriel asked Hu Li?

“No.” Hu Li responded simply. He snapped his fingers and the silent images of the pearls vanished. “Simple trick. But it fooled her.”

I remember very little of what transpired between then and leaving the tower.

Hu Li rode off on his own. He knew he had failed, though he somehow engineered a scenario that indicted Talon for the debacle. He mercifully did not stay long enough for any debate on the issue, but quickly announced that he must return to Balian to inform the Master what had happened.

We were all pleased to see him go.

“We must deliver the boy to Soliel.” I said. “I will also seek an audience with the Voice and Will. Lilian must be returned to us. Her fight here is not over. I am sure of it. I will request Canaan’s intercession to resurrect her. I only hope it will be granted.”

“You’re a fool.” Gabriel hissed. “She’s dead and what killed her is back in that tower. I can’t allow myself to just walk away and let him live. Only the Voice and Will has the power to raise a soul from the dead and he isn’t going to do it for a country bumkin of a priest, Evora!”

“The shell he is encased in will fall away at some point.” Said Talon, interceding. “Engaging him will be suicide.”

“Have patience, Gabriel.” I said, not taking Gabriel’s bait. “Have faith. Lilian will be returned to us. She would not want you to do this.”

“Don’t you dare speak for her!” His voice bellowed with rage and sorrow. He was devoted to nothing short of vengeance. “That thing deserves to die! Its bad enough we let that witch go! If we let him go as well, we will be complicit in whatever sins he commits from this day forward! If I die by his hands, at least I tried to stop him.”

Gabriel turned and stormed away from us.

“Do not let anger consume you.” I called out after him. “That is the path to the Adversary!”

“Let him go.” Talon said. “He has chosen his path. There is nothing else we can do.”

I watched Gabriel vanish back into the tower. The corpses of Lilian and Shale had been draped over the saddles of their horses. I moved over to them and sprinkled holy water and oils over them while reciting a prayer that would keep them in gentle repose.

Once I had finished, I looked back to the tower and recited a second prayer to Canaan, asking Him to guide Gabriel in his moment of crisis, and that should he die by the blade of the knight and the might of his own rage, that Canaan would be forgiving and compassionate.

And then I openly wept.

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 16: The Exalted Child

I watched the spot where Hu Li had disappeared down the road toward Goldfire Glen and Balian’s Tower for many silent moments. I wondered whether I would see him again, and whether I even wanted to. He killed nearly everyone. I confess I fantasized a whole epic play in those few minutes. Frescos of Balian stripping Hu Li of all his power, somehow stealing into himself like some arcane infused mosquito, washed over the walls of my mind's eye. Hu Li would be left devastated and alone, exiled from his own “church” and forced to wander the lands a toothless, emasculated pariah.

The vengeful icons were extinguished when I felt a tug at my robe.

“We should go,” the Exalted Child gently urged. He looked up at me with exigency, but tranquility. There was no fear, only urgency tempered with patience. It was unnerving, this child of but eight with the hushed wisdom and calm of a venerable ascetic.

I glanced at Talon. The wisdom of his Master perhaps.

Talon, acknowledging my glance, began securing the bodies to his horse. With their corpses in a gentle repose, we would be spared the stench of their rotting flesh on our two week journey to Soliel. We could only manage to recover Lilian and Shale’s remains. There was too little left of Aesendal to gather. Pained as we were to conclude, we had no choice but to commit our beloved sorcerer’s soul to Canaan.

I still didn’t know to what end we were taking Shale’s body to Soliel. It promised to be nigh impossible for the Curia to honor my request to have an audience with the Voice and Will of Canaan after they sentenced me to exile. And once a simple audience has been achieved, for the Voice and Will to perform the miracle on the caliber of resurrection might be just beyond the far reaches of hope. No Canaanite there would deign to raise a priest of The Green.

“Have faith.” Tanner said, as if reading my thoughts. “Canaan is with us. He is with you. But we must make haste.”

I checked my pack. We had more than enough smoked boar meat to last the journey. We had removed the saddles from the remaining horses and set them free. We scavenged what gear we could carry and left the rest behind.

“I believe the boy is correct,” Talon breathed. “We should go.”

I nodded and mounted Lilian’s valiant steed. Talon heaved Tanner onto my lap, and grabbing hold of the animal’s reins, took his place walking at our side.

Talon was not exactly talkative. And the boy. Well. He was eight. It promised to be a quiet journey.

I was looking forward to it. But not its end. It would not be easy returning to Soliel and enduring a reunion with Archbishop Tagavarius.

The journey north along the road that skirts the edge of The Wildlands was relatively free from difficulty. Farms periodically dotted the landscape. It was otherwise unsettled rolling hillsides covered with low plain grass and wildflowers. We stayed away from the farms, however, given our macabre cargo.

But that first night the strangest thing happened. I still don’t know for sure what it meant. But I feared I had angered Canaan so thoroughly that He would abandon me.

The three of us made camp and enjoyed a hearty meal of smoked boar jerky and water. Satiated, I readied myself to rest. I stole away behind a shrubbery with a full waterskin and rinsed away several days worth of dust and grime. I was looking forward to the solace that sleep would bring. It had been some time since I had fully rested. It was time to let go of the nightmare of the events of the past few days. Tanner brought me my bedroll. He helped me into it. There was something incongruous about his expression.

He smiled.

I hadn’t yet told the Blessed Child of Goldfire Glen’s devastation and of his parents’ death. I suspected he already knew. Not that I required of him some shallow show of grief, but I admit his profound calm at times caused my own untamed cauldron of emotions to boil over. His expression never wavered from the preternaturally serene. A tear let loose from my eye as I stared into the eternity of his gaze. He placed his small, warm hand on my chin.

“Sweet dreams.” He said.

The recent day’s events replayed through my mind over and over again, delaying sleep. Soon natural fatigue took over and I drifted off to sleep.

I had a most profound and disturbing dream that to this day confounds me as to its meaning.

It was as though I was flying. From a high vantage I saw a large city bathed in bright, white light. In its center was a huge rectangular structure supported by dozens of massive white marble columns. A equally white marble veranda surrounded the outside of the structure and leading into it were giant archways, in many of which hung giant silky linen sheets, embroidered with symbols holy to Canaan. I knew the building. It was The Great Fane, the seat of Canaanism in the world. It is the home of the Voice and Will of Canaan in Turgos and the Headquarters of The Holy Temple. Holy white light streamed from within its confines and diffused into the white marble streets around The Great Fane, and a beam of white light shot into the sky from the center glass paned dome in its center.

On The Great Fane’s grounds, and across Sanctuary Park from it, was a decagonal white marble building, called The Inquisition. Each wall was decorated in gilded gold depicting each of the Ten Virtues of Canaan: Truth, Faith, Love, Courage, Liberty, Generosity, Charity, Justice, Mercy and Humility.

Standing in the center of each wall of The Inquisition stood A Knight Templar in full plate armor and ceremonial garb. The Guardians of the Inquisition. It is a most honored post, given only to the most devout and pure-hearted Knight Templars in all of Turgos.

To the west of Sanctuary Park and halfway between The Great Fane and The Inquisition stood a four-sided, white marble pyramid. This was Conclave Hall. It is here where the Curia meets to conduct official church business.

Far to the north is the Royal Palace, made of grey stone. It is a huge and imposing structure, much larger than The Great Fane. But it always somehow paled in comparison to The Great Fane bathed in its divine glory.

I started descending toward The Great Fane, entering it through the beam of holy light shooting up from its central dome. I had no sense of myself. I felt weightless.

As I entered the light, I was bathed in it. It comforted me and made the pain of horrors and loss I had suffered recede a bit. I entered The Great Fane, but all I saw was light, white, radiant light. It was nearly blinding. In the light, I saw a giant, almost transparent unrecognizable face. I knew in my heart that it was Canaan. My heart filled to overflowing.

Canaan approached me, or I approached Him. I’m not really sure which it was. He was nearly close enough to whisper to me when he finally opened his mouth to speak. It was then that I noticed a thin dark line forming from his forehead, down his face and under his chin. He paused. Other thin lines began to form in his visage, like cracks in porcelain. I gasped. Suddenly, Canaan’s face exploded into several different pieces! I felt like my heart had just been wrenched from me. Then I woke with a start.

Tanner was sitting on his haunches next to me, haloed in the rays of the morning sun. He was staring at me, his face beaming. “Be not afraid.” He said.

To this day I don’t know what this dream meant. But I am beginning to fear what it could have meant. Is it an omen of peril? Am I to be the death of Canaan? Impossible. But with each passing day, I feel farther from the ideals of the Curia. I have embraced the wisdom and legitimacy of The Green. I have indentured myself into the tutelage of an insane wizard and humored the blasphemous tales of a diabolist. Had I strayed so far? Was the Curia right in exiling me? Am I truly a heretic? The boy did not think so. He treated me with kindness and compassion. Was he in the end simply a naïve, sheltered innocent who knew no better? I needed penance. I needed to confess my sins to the Voice and Will. I no longer feared. I knew what I had to do.

It was several days later that I met Justicar Platteous Dubois. He was with a contingent of priests, templars and masons who had been called to Soliel to spearhead the reconstruction of Goldfire Glen. We met them on the road between Goldfire Glen and Auros. Word had traveled to Soliel of its near destruction and the Curia was quick to respond.

“Send in the justicars and the inquisitors!”

It was their typical reactionary maneuver. I could almost hear them: “What we need there brothers is more discipline. Remove the cancer that breeds temptation. Purify Goldfire Glen in the name of Canaan and tolerate no deviance from His dictates.”

The peasants and farmers of Goldfire Glen will get a rude awakening that is for sure. Oh yes. I also met Goldfire Glen’s new priest. Father Ziegfried, a strict dogmatic disciplinarian with no love for The Green. He was among the contingent on its way to Goldfire Glen.”

Baron Underhill will be livid.

Of course I was thinking all of this while otherwise engaged in pleasant, if short, conversation with the Justicar.

“May Canaan bless and protect you, father.” Justicar Dubois intoned with rote inflection. Yes. Leave it to a dogmatic Canaanite to say that which should be reserved for only the highest of honors and blessings as casually and with the same frequency as buttering bread.

“And you as well, Justicar.” I retorted, feigning exuberance.

“I am Justicar Platteous Dubois, recently of the Village of Near Haven, now in the service of Goldfire Glen.” He continued, glancing at Talon, then the boy.

I saw his eyes widen as he continued his scan toward the corpses tied to the back of Talon’s horse. Though we covered the bodies with as many blankets as we had, it was unmistakable what they were. I’m sure an errant foot or finger caught his eye in any event. I decided to head him off at the pass.

Walking over to the steed and removing the blanket covering Lilian with a flourish (leaving Shale’s body covered), I announced, “This is Lilian Evenshire of Goldfire Glen! Champion of Canaan!”

I heard mumblings as the priests, templars and masons gathered around. That surname was clearly known. I took the moment of their surprise to scan the crowd for familiar faces. Finding none, I continued.

“I am Evora Faro, Priest of Canaan. A make a pilgrimage to Soliel with the corpse of Canaan’s Champion who died in the defense of the Exalted Child!”

There were more mumblings, laced with astonishment.

Justicar Dubois’s eyes were like saucers as he took in the boy. A moment later he was on his knees, head bent toward the ground.

“It is not possible!” he exclaimed exuberantly. “The Exalted Child is not lost! Praise be to Canaan and to his Champion Lilian Evenshire, Defender of the Faith!”

“Praise be to Canaan!” came the response from the assembled priests, templars and masons who had by now all mimicked the Justicar’s actions.

“And I bear the Exalted Child to The Voice and Will to personally present him to Canaan.” The last I could barely say without my voice cracking.

An inquisitor was with them. He stood up and came over to me. “What happened after the child was kidnapped from Goldfire Glen? Tell me everything.”

I complied. Though I left out some details, what about Hu Li’s tryst with the harpy and about his blowing nearly everyone to bits. Though I did mention that both Orcus’s dark champion and his Aquan sorceress concubine may be on the loose, giving appropriate credit to Gabriel Evenshire for buying us time to get away with his selfless sacrifice. Though Talon nearly ruined it. In the middle of my narrative he raised his finger and opened his mouth as if to correct me before thinking better of it after I identified Shale as a retired officer in the King’s army and Talon as a pious mystic. It was a close call.

The Inquisitor quietly listened and after I completed my story, nodded.

“Clearly you are among the Chosen of Canaan.” He announced loud enough for the entirety of the contingency to hear. “Heroes of Goldfire Glen and Protectors of the Exalted Child, may Canaan guide your way to Auros and Soliel beyond. If you have need of company, I will dispatch three of our Templars to your aid.”

Justicar Dubois grinned happily feeling the closeness of Canaan in our mere presence, having agreed with the Inquisitor’s decree that we are blessed by Him.

“No, good Inquisitor.” I said, raising a hand. “Canaan has granted us boons to get us to Auros and Soliel beyond. He has decreed that your Templars are best utilized in the service of Goldfire Glen. Go there and fulfill your duty to He who is Most Holy.”

Though I relished the company and protections Templars would provide, this journey would be much too long for even patient Talon to watch his tongue in such orthodox company.

Soon the delegation was on its way singing praises to Canaan and to the Exalted Child. At the last, I could have sworn I heard a stanza or two about Lilian Evenshire and Gabriel’s sacrifice.

That night I slept well, but was suddenly thrust to full consciousness. There in the early dawn I was privy to a vision I will never forget.

Lilian’s and Shale’s bodies were laid out on the ground with the Exalted Child sitting cross-legged between them. Each hand was on the chest of one of the corpses. It could have been a trick of the rising sun behind the boy, but I was certain that a bright yellow glow enveloped him. His eyes were closed. As soon as the sun rose high enough above him the glow ceased.

He opened his eyes and spoke. His voice was melodic, ethereal and androgynous.

“This one,” he indicated to Lilian, “is in a wonderful place. But Canaan wishes her return.”

I gasped and reached for my holy symbol out of instinct. It was not there. I glanced around and found it, glowing around Lilian’s neck. The boy hand laid a finger upon it.

Talon merely stared at the child, expressionless.

“This one,” he indicated to Shale, “will return, but not by Canaan’s grace. It will, however, be with Canaan’s blessing.”

I just sat and stared open-mouthed for a moment. “How do you know?” I breathed.

“Canaan has told me.” He smiled. “Have faith, Evora Faro. You are still loved by him.”

Then his smile lessened somewhat. “Gabriel is not with Canaan. A petition has been made. Someone wishes to intercede.”

Talon raised an eyebrow.

“What?” I asked, puzzled.

“Someone wishes to place him or herself in Gabriel’s place, so that he may be granted a chance at redemption.” He continued, like a patient teacher would for a young student.

I could not believe this child was speaking directly with Canaan. Canaan was here. Present. The enormity of it all was too great to think about. “Who are you?” I asked tentatively.

The boy collapsed. Light continued to emanate from my holy symbol around Lillian’s neck. Once I was absolutely sure that no harm had befallen the boy, I gently removed the holy symbol from around Lillian’s neck and placed it on mine, where it continued to glow.

I began my morning prayers, but stayed close to the boy.

As Talon prepared breakfast, the boy peacefully slept.

We had a heralded arrival in Auros. Throngs of people crowded the streets and tossed flowers at us. Banners hovered over the streets. They read: “Welcome to Auros Heroes of Goldfire Glen, Protectors of the Exalted Child.”

I will never understand why we are heralded as heroes. Had we been sharper, we might have prevented the wholesale massacre of Goldfire Glen.

A contingent of Templars greeted us and we were escorted directly to Devonhilt Keep. The Duke stood atop the grand stairs that lead up to the imposing entrance to the keep. The Duchess stood next to him. Several others stood with them, the usual royal retinue of advisors, viziers and guards.

We dismounted at the bottom of the stairs and climbed up. I was nervous, having never been the subject of such attention. But the Duke was disarming. He greeted us with a hearty smile and clap on the shoulders.

“Welcome to Auros. I am Duke Devonhilt and this is my lovely wife, Clarisse.”

“Duke. Duchess.” I bowed to each respectively. “I am Evora Faro, Priest of…“

“Yes, I know.” Turning to Talon, he added almost enthusiastically, “and you are the pious mystic, Talon.” His gaze darkened a bit as he indicated Talon’s horse and its morbid load at the bottom of the massive steps. “I am sorry for your loss. The passing of the Evenshires and of Shale is a grievous loss for all of us, after what they have done for this kingdom.”

Perhaps in answer to the questioning incredulity in my face, he added, “We received word of your coming several days ago. Your reputation precedes you. The people of Auros have been a titter with excitement at the news of your impending arrival for a few days now. You will stay in the keep tonight as guests of honor. We will be dining in celebration of your arrival this evening.”

“Oh, but no.” I began. “We must continue on to Soliel.”

Before the words were out of my mouth I knew I had committed some grievous social faux pas. From the looks on the Duke’s entourage, it was clear I was guilty of some sin so terrible that I would be forever exiled from inclusion in elite society.

The Duke’s smile wavered a bit, but thankfully he otherwise ignored the unintentional slight. “I insist Evora. This danger goes well beyond Goldfire Glen.”

I felt the prickling of fear on the back of my neck, for I knew in my heart that the Duke spoke truly. Managing to ineloquently construct what was tantamount to an apology and an affirmation, I agreed. Talon merely nodded. Tanner quietly held my hand.

Dinner was exquisite. Much of the nobility of Auros was in attendance at the evening’s celebration. Servants had brought Talon and I finery to wear to dinner. We bathed and met in the great hall for the celebration.

While Talon chose to ignore the finery and wear his plain brown hooded robe to dinner, I indulged in the trappings of the rich and powerful. Tanner, who had stayed near me the entire time, was given a simple, but elegant silvery silk robe to wear.

Both Talon and I were seated at the Duke’s table joined by others, including an Arcanist who was introduced as Allustan of Diamond Lake, a small mining community to the north of Auros in the foothills of the mountains that dominate that land. It has been long rumored that Diamond Lake is inhabited by creatures known as Dwarves, though I for one had never seen one.

Tanner was seated on a small throne at the end of the Duke’s table. He was closely watched by four Justicars. Two more stood at the yawning doorway of the hall.

The Duke required me to regale the table with stories of our journey and I complied with as little embellishment as I could. Though I did leave a few of the more unsavory and potentially controversial details out, such as Hu Li’s harpy coitus, Hu Li’s outburst with regards to what the fate of the Shuuthian should have been, and, of course, Hu Li’s ill-timed use of the bead of force provided him by Balian.

I could feel Talon’s eyes watching me as the tale unfolded. I could not determine if his look was one of approval for my discreetness, or condemnation for my lack of forthrightness. He was never an easy one to read.

“You and your friends have been through a great many trials.” Allustan began, sounding impressed.

“We did what anyone would have done under the circumstances.” I responded blushing.

“Indeed.” He responded disdainfully, clearly not buying it.

“I have need of heroes such as you to help me investigate something I have been researching. Perhaps you will return to Auros on your way back from Soliel and come see me.” He finished.

I promised to do so immediately and without hesitation. After all, Allustan was an Arcanist and he even seemed, dare I say, normal. If Balian or Helena proved too uncouth for my proclivities, perhaps I could seek apprenticeship with Allustan. At the moment I thought that, and even now as I write this, Balian’s Mark squirmed. No one but me noticed.

After dinner the Duke moved closer to me and Talon and began speaking in hushed tones.

“Your actions have caused quite a stir in Soliel.” He began. “The Curia has been in closed session since word arrived of the tragedy at Goldfire Glen. And the Voice and Will has sequestered himself in his meditation room, communing with Canaan since this whole thing began. It is unprecedented.”

I was deeply troubled by this news.

“The rumor is that Rappan’Athuk is again active. There is talk that the Regent Malfoy will raise an army to deal with the threat. This does not bode well. And I do not like it.” He added the last in a whisper, almost conspiratorially.

I whipped my head around to stare at him. He met my gaze.

“Do you know why we don’t go into The Wildlands?” He started rhetorically. “We do not go into the Wildlands out of respect for The Green and her followers, Evora. My county is largely agrarian and my constituents are largely superstitious farmers who adhere to the Old Faith of The Green.”

I nodded.

“But there are other political considerations as well. I am no sycophant to the Regent Malfoy. While others clamor to get in his good graces and thereby win favor with his nephew, the boy king, I have a county to run. Unfortunately this approach has lessened my support in the House of Lords, several of whom are in favor of annexing huge portions of The Wildlands; and while it will increase the standing of the county in the House of Lords, I fear the machinations of Malfoy at hand. He would have ultimate control of how that land is divided, and to the most depraved of his flatterers would go the spoils, I’m afraid.”

I had not considered the political ramifications of a settlement of the Wildlands before.

“And I fear that the church is breathing down Malfoy’s neck to invade The Wildlands and take Rappan’Athuk.” He added.

I was surprised to hear the Duke speak in such an unflattering fashion about the Church. Smelling bait, I decided to bite.

“Why do you speak so harshly of the Church to one such as I?” I said. “You know that you are teetering on the edge of blasphemy with this speech.”

“Bah! You, of all people, Evora. Here to lecture me on blasphemy? I know why you ‘left’ Soliel. And please. Your story about Talon being a ‘pious mystic’ is almost laughable. He is nothing other than a servant of the Green. I speak freely in your presence, because I can.”

I nodded, and felt the color drain from my face. This was a brave man, an honorable man, and a man willing to die for his beliefs. Though this conversation filled me with great dread, I knew one thing for certain, Duke Devonhill was a true ally.

“After the boy king’s parents were slain for their conversion to The Green,” He continued “The Curia hovered around the boy and have yet to leave his side. Malfoy is a harmless puppet. A mouthpiece for the Curia in the guise of a sectarian leader.”

I knew little of the story of Malfoy. Politics was never of an interest to me. I only hoped the Duke assertions were true.

After dinner there was a short play, filled with song and dance. It was colorful if unremarkable in any other detail.

Tanner slept on a small bed near mine. Both were stuffed with down feathers and while I cannot speak for the boy’s experience, I must say, my bed evoked the most lavish and luxurious sleep I had ever known. Upon awaking I remember feeling the quality of my sleep bordered on the sinful.

A crowd had gathered outside the Duke’s palace. As Talon, myself and Tanner left with the bodies of Lilian and Shale in tow, they followed us toward the north gate of Auros, waving banners depicting Canaan Crosses and sending up choruses of adulations.

I was most embarrassed by the whole pomp and circumstance. I was also worried that such public displays of our presence would make it easier for our enemies to track us.

My fears would prove unwarranted, however, as the week’s journey from Auros to Soliel was quite safe.

As we came upon the first glimpses of the towers of Soliel, we were greeted with a mob the likes of which I have never seen. For a moment I wondered if the whole of Turgos had made a pilgrimage to Soliel. The mass of humankind went for what appeared to be miles and as Talon walked beside the horse on which myself and the boy rode, the throngs parted to allow us passage.

Many held out their hands toward us and Tanner obliged their longing with a touch and a blessing. Though songs and shouts of praise rang up for our passing, the gathering was entirely peaceful.

Justicars awaited us at the gates of Soliel. Like Auros, they escorted us to our destination, the Great Fane. The home of the Voice and Will of Canaan on Turgos.

The crowds overwhelmed the glistening streets of Soliel as they moved in behind us once we reached the steps of the Great Fane. Flanked by two golden armored Justicars at the top of the stairs was the one face I had secretly longed to avoid, but now knew I had no choice but to face, Arch Bishop Tagavarius.

Talon, Tanner and myself ascended the stairs. Tanner clutched my hand ever so gently and whispered, “Have strength, Evora. He is but a man.”

“Heretic!”

The announcement sent a shockwave of silence rippling over the crowd. The harsh, humorless baritone of Tagavarius echoed down the staircase and throughout the marble structures.

“Your exploits do little to quell the weight of your sins, Evora. You ask much returning here.”

“I know of my sins.” I said, my eyes to the ground. My supplicant stance was genuine. “Better than anyone, for I have had to live with the bitter fruits of their harvest.”

I could feel Talon, Tanner and the whole of Soliel looking at me. I looked up to see Tagavarius’s cold glare warm just a bit.

“I return not to do penance, not to acknowledge my transgressions and ask for forgiveness, but to deliver this child, the Exalted One, the one who shall live on as the Voice and Will of Canaan on Turgos. If the Curia believes the confession of a solitary priest ranks higher than the delivery of hope, then I cannot but humble myself before its judgment.”

The Arch Bishop almost blanched at my words. The streets were unbearably silent. Tagavarius strode forward and reached out a hand to Tanner. The boy took it. Tanner smiled up at me and nodded.

Tagavarius leaned into me and whispered. “Your arrogance shall be your undoing.”

“I have traveled a long way.” I said. “I wish an audience with the Voice and Will.”

“So I have heard.” He said, still whispering. “I know of it. The Voice and Will has preemptively granted you your request. It seems at the arrival of the news of your coming, and the state of the fallen Champion Lilian Evenshire, he insisted you be allowed an audience.”

I said nothing. Talon stepped up to me. Tagavarius’s eyes narrowed as his lower jaw tightened. The Arch Bishop straightened and addressed the crowd.

“This is a day of celebration!” He announced. “The Exalted One has been safely delivered to Soliel! Canaan be praised! May His Voice and Will on Turgos be granted life everlasting!”

The crowd exploded into applause and cheers. We were led into the hallowed halls of the inner sanctum of the Great Fane. Tagavarius said nothing else. Tanner kept looking at me as we entered the massive, vaulted chamber.

It was lit by a solitary beam of light in its center. It was constructed entirely out of white marble. Grand archways circled the sunken inner chamber. Benches lined the outer circle. A soft chorus of invisible monks rained down unceasingly from unseen corners of the grand chapel.

I was awed and humbled by the sheer simplistic beauty of the whole setting.

Lilian and Shale’s bodies were taken from us by white robed priests. Talon, Tanner and I stood in the glow of the light and the soft pillow of the music for some time.

Then there was a pulse in the light. It dimmed just enough for us to make out an elderly, bent figure, clutching a golden staff in one of his wrinkled hands. His head was adorned with an enormous miter and he was draped in a golden robe.

I fell to my knees before him. Talon rolled his eyes and leaned up against the wall under an archway.

Tanner leapt to his feet and ran toward the figure, embracing him as a boy would a father.

“Please, Evora.” I heard his kind, but tired voice say. “Stand up and come closer.”

I obeyed.

“Sit down next to me.” He said. I only then noticed he had been sitting on a marble bench. I immediately joined him.

“I understand you request an intercession from Canaan with regards to the soul of Lilian Evenshire.”

“Yes, Your Holiness.” I said. The staggering reality of what I came for suddenly rushed over me. I felt the fool asking for something so unbelievably profound. The Voice and Will must have felt my turmoil and doubt, for he reached a hand out to me and took mine in his. His flesh felt as fragile as parchment.

“Have faith, Evora.” He said. “You are no heretic. The Curia and I have always had disagreements, and shall for as long as Canaan’s Church thrives. Your fate and your guilt are but one more in a long line of… debates.”

I felt weak. My heart leapt for such joy that I nearly fainted. The Voice and Will was on my side. It was more than I could have ever dreamed.

“But that is trivial. Banal political conflict and nothing more.” He continued. “I need to ask you why you feel Lilian must be returned?”

“I believe her role in the coming conflict is far from over, most Exalted One.” I said. “She is needed here. Her death came far before her time.”

“As it does to many.” He answered, smiling sadly at me. “Farmer Jed and his family.”

It did not surprise me that one so enlightened as the Voice and Will would have known of the fate of a simple family so many miles away.

“And the innocents of Goldfire Glen.” He continued. “Beware such hubris, Evora. Lilian’s life was no more precious than any of those.”

I sat silent. Tanner tugged at my leg. He smiled up at me and I remembered the vision that I awoke to just days prior and the words the angelic voice emitted from the vassal of Tanner.

“I believe,” I finally said, “that it is by Canaan’s Will that she be returned. Nothing more and nothing less.”

“Then, my child,” His Holiness said with a smile. “Let Canaan’s Will be done.”

He grabbed hold of his staff and pulled himself to his feet. Tanner moved over to me. The Voice and Will turned to us both, and gave a cursory glance to Talon.

“Rest.” He said. “For you are weary. I shall return to you shortly.”

With labored steps, he left the chamber. I sat back down on the bench and closed my eyes. I drank in the sounds of the chanting monks and allowed myself to relax into a tranquil meditation.

Several minutes later, I was gently drawn from my meditations by Tanner, touching my arm. I opened my eyes to see his face smiling at me.

Talon was still leaning against an archway.

Somewhere beyond my sight a door opened and closed. I heard footsteps.

Into the light of the chamber I saw the Voice and Will of Canaan reentering. He leaned heavily upon his staff. Tanner rushed to his side to assist him.

A second figure stepped into view behind them. My breath stopped. Tears fell freely from my disbelieving eyes.

By the side of the Exalted Boy and the Voice and Will of Canaan was, glory be, Lilian, alive! Her golden tresses draped around her shoulders. She stepped toward me.

Talon stood upright, his mouth agape in disbelief. I stood and ran to her. She held up a hand to stay my path.

She was dressed in a long silver robe. Her deep blue eyes stared into me. They held a deep and unrelenting sadness that unnerved me. Then, as if she finally recognized me, her hand dropped to her side and she smiled.

“Evora.” She said, her voice as strong and sure as ever. “By the grace of Canaan, I have returned.”

Canaan

First Post
Thanks Biscuit and Haven! It was a little touch and go there for a while. I had only rough drafts of my posts saved on my computer, because D'nemy and I are writing this together and editing in a very free form style. So I had very few of the final posts saved (I remedied that now). By following the suggestions posted by some Enworlders, I was able to recover everything from the Cache.

Thanks for your continued interest in this story hour! It's nice to be missed! Here is the next installment in the lives of our heroes! You may have questions after this post. They will be answered in the next post, which is a flashback/interlude.

Chapter 17: Gabriel's Return

After many minutes of joyous laughter, embraces, and thanks to Almighty Canaan, Lilian and I finally calmed ourselves enough to have as lucid a conversation as we could, given the circumstances.

“What do you remember?” I finally came around to asking her.

Her fair face twisted upwards, her eyes looked to the ceiling. She shook her head.

“Nothing at all.” She said, a mixture of worry and befuddlement. “I remember us stumbling into that room. I could see next to nothing beyond the door Gabriel was carrying. I felt something slice into my back, cold as death, and then nothing else. I awoke to chanting, and he…” She pointed to the Voice and Will of Canaan. “was smiling down at me. He told me I had died and by Canaan’s Will, been brought back. They fitted me with this robe and lead me to you.”

Talon had joined us in our reunion but said very little past “It is good to see you again, old friend.” At last he spoke.

“It was a blackguard that felled you.” He told her. “A sorceress and a dark faean priest were his only allies. In spite of our greater numbers we barely survived the battle. Shale and Aesendal also perished.”

Lilian staggered, and almost fainted at the news. I caught her by the shoulder and held her up. She gently pushed me off her, then straightened, looking at Talon, fear floating over her emerald eyes.

“What of Gabriel?” She said, very anxious. “Is he with you?

Talon and I looked to each other. I was trying to formulate an appropriately delicate response.

“Tell me!” Lilian insisted.

“He stayed behind.” Talon finally, emotionlessly said.

“We tried to stop him, but he would not listen.” I added.

“Tell me everything!” She said. “What happened to my brother?”

Before we could answer, the Voice and Will of Canaan tapped the floor with his staff. The sound reverberated through the hall.

We all turned to him.

“Perhaps,” He said in his soft whisper. “you should ask him yourself.”

I heard that obfuscated door open and close again, and a moment later, a white robed figure was lead into the chamber flanked by two equally robed nuns. The face of the figure was covered by a cowl. He was clutching a Canaan Cross in his right hand. The two nuns backed away and left the chamber. The figure grabbed hold of the cowl and slowly drew it back.

We all gasped when the face was revealed.

It was Gabriel.

Lilian ran up to him.

“I do not understand.” She said, stopping short of embracing him. “They told me you went back to fight the Black Guard.”

“They were right.” He said.

“Then you defeated him?” She asked, though the timbre of her voice betrayed her realization of the answer.

“No.” He said plainly. “I was slain.”

“Great Canaan!” I breathed. “What miracles we have witnessed this day!”

“His body was found by the nuns in the chapel not an hour before you arrived here.” The Voice and Will told us. “A celestial voice summoned them to the chamber and told them that this one had been chosen by Canaan to return to us, but there was a price to be paid.”

“What happened?” Lilian asked.

“Talon and Evora were right.” Gabriel began. “They tried to warn me, but I would not listen. I confronted the Black Guard consumed with anger and a thirst for vengeance. The evil knight proved too much of a match for me, and every set back in the melee only fueled my rage to the point where all I could see, all I could feel, all I experienced was raw, unhinged anger. In that state of total wrath and fury, I was felled by his blade.”

There was a long silence. Guilt flashed over Lilian’s face.

“When you died, where did you go?” I asked, knowing full well the answer.

Gabriel did not look at me when he told us. His grip on his Canaan Cross tightened.

“I did not reach Canaan’s Heaven.” He said almost inaudibly. Lilian reached out and took his hand. “I have been given a second chance to redeem my soul.”

“Glory be to Canaan!” I said. “Your family is doubly blessed!”

“From this day forward,” Gabriel told us, “I shall live my life as a Priest of Canaan. I shall endeavor to quench the fires of my rage and pursue a life of peace and penitence.”

Lilian broke down into a torrent of tears. Her usually strong demeanor completely evaporated and she fell into her brothers arms.

“Blessed be Canaan!” She said between fits of sobs.

“Yes, my sister.” Gabriel said, soothingly. “Yes.”

Talon, who had remained silent up to now, finally spoke.

“It is good that we are all reunited.” He began. “But Shale, who we brought with us, is still dead. What of him?”

I turned to the Voice and Will.

“We brought a disciple of the Green with us.” I told him. “Is it possible, Your Holiness, that Canaan’s Grace may be bestowed upon him as well?”

“I know of Shale’s nature.” He answered me. “And I know of his Master, Baern. It will not be by Canaan that Shale will be returned, but by the power and will of the Green.” Then after a short pause, “And Canaan approves.”

“I know where to find Shale’s Master.” Said Talon. “I can lead us there.”

“We should go soon.” Said Lilian. “Shale is a good friend and if it be The Green’s will, I would have him back with us.”

“I agree.” I said. “But there is something I must do first. And I must do it alone.”

Before any of them could protest, I turned back to the Voice and Will. Tanner had taken his hand.

“Thank you.” I said to him, swallowing my growing emotion. “You have been most merciful, most kind, most loving. I cannot put into words how grateful we all are for what you have done.”

“Evora Faro.” The Voice and Will said, his voice tinged with sadness. “It is not I who has done these things. I am but a vassal for Canaan’s Will, and it is I who should be thanking you.”

He looked at Tanner.

“Your selflessness and sacrifice has ensured another generation will be blessed with the path to salvation and eternal life. I take my leave of you now and offer you this as my parting words. Do not let your fear or your thirst for knowledge and power delude you. The world is changing and each of you has been chosen to play a great role in ensuring that the change is for the better. May Canaan be with you.”

With that, he and Tanner stepped into the pillar of light in the center of the chamber. Something shimmered up the outer edge of the column and the two were gone.

I left the others at the Great Fane and made my way over to the Curia, to meet with Tagavarius and plead my case.

Gabriel wished to sequester himself in the libraries of Soliel. He did not say what he was looking for, but would only say he was curious about something called a Harmonic Concordance.

Lilian remained in the Great Fane to pray and meditate on all that had happened. Talon wished to leave the confines of the city for a time and meditate in a surrounding more becoming to his faith.

By the hospitality of the Voice and Will of Canaan, Shale’s body was to remain under the care of the temple’s nuns until such time that we left.

As I climbed the stairs of the Curia, I was greeted by six Justicars, who fell into position on either side of me. Thus flanked, I was presented to a great assemblage of Arch Bishops and Cardinals of Canaanism. The intellectual and political supreme among the ranks of Canaan’s priests. At their center stood Tagavarius who welcomed my entry with a deep, creased scowl.

“The heretic has arrived for trial.” He said.

I remained encircled by the Justicars. The proceedings remained eerily quiet.

“Evora Faro, you have been accused of heresy.” Tagavarius said with great aplomb. I could not help noticing he was staring just above my eyes. “Your punishment was exile, and yet you return. You brought with you the Exalted Child, and the Curia understands the sacrifices you made to save him. That act alone may have granted you full clemency if it weren’t for the fact that new charges have been brought against you. You have been accused of pursuing the arcane arts without taking the required sacraments and teachings by a sanctioned Urgic practitioner, a crime punishable by the annulment of your ordination. What say you to these charges?”

I did not allow a moment’s pause before I answered.

“I plead guilty.” I said plainly enough. I saw a look of complete surprise melt over Tagavarius’s face. The rest of the gathering continued their stoic stares. Tagavarius looked back at them, as if to seek support, then turned back toward me.

“You understand that in so doing,” Tagavarius said. “That you consent to the lawful and just sentence of your crime.”

“I do.” I said. “If the Curia agrees that such a sentence should be carried out, then I have no choice but to consent. I do this in order to protect that one commodity that is most precious to us mortals. Time. We have little to spare these days and a lengthy trial would only compound a growing threat. I believe that the attempt on Tanner’s life was no isolated incident. It is but the first of many horrors to come and I believe that Canaan has a plan for me, and an annulment would do nothing but deny Canaan’s Will.”

The silence was finally shattered. The room erupted into calls of blasphemy and my immediate annulment. Others, agreeing with me, called for my immediate acquittal and release.

Tagavarius held up a hand. The room fell silent.

“You are an arrogant, obstinate, wretch, Evora. Drowning in his own pride and delusions of greatness.” He hissed.

“He saved the Exalted Child!” One of the Arch Bishops bellowed. “He is amongst the Chosen of Canaan! Annulling his vows would be a sin against His Almighty!”

“Silence!” Tagavarius bellowed in reply. His eyes narrowed to tiny slits as they carved into me. “I see through your treachery, Evora. You seek to tear the Curia apart.”

With that I laid down prostrate before them all.

“You are right, Tagavarius!” I hollered, through my falling tears. “I am arrogant! I am obstinate! I am a wretch! But I have seen the error of my ways and I come before you humbled and seeking atonement! If it be Canaan’s Will that I be de-frocked for my sins, then there is nothing either myself, the Curia or even the Voice and Will himself can do to stop it! I have learned that I have not the moral, ethical or spiritual fortitude to stay true to the teachings of Canaan while recklessly attempting to be a peripatetic of the Arcane Path. I sought only power and that search corrupted me! I renounce my unchecked thirst for knowledge! Have mercy on me, a pitiful sinner! I do not wish to tear the great Curia asunder! I speak from my heart, flawed and inadequate as it may be!”

There was complete silence. It was broken by a soft footfall. I looked up to see Tagavarius staring down at me. His usual stony face mitigated but a breath.

“I am surprised at you, Evora.” He said, his voice echoing within the cavernous silence. “I did not expect this from you. I am beginning to believe that there may yet be hope for you, but how I judge you matters little. It is not by my hand that justice shall be dispensed. It is the summation of the whole of the Curia. Justicars!”

He waved his hand at the men who surrounded me. They lifted me to my feet.

“Take the accused to a holding cell.” Tagavarius continued. “There he shall wait while the Curia deliberates his fate.”

I sat alone in my cell for many hours. The others, Lilian, Talon and Gabriel did not know where I went. I chose not to tell them. I did not want them to worry, and if I was to be bereft of my vows and the grace of Canaan, then I wished to do it alone. Selfish, perhaps, but easier in the end.

Despite my actions in saving Tanner, a great seed of doubt had sprouted its thorny weeds within me. The dream I had just a few nights ago still haunted me. To see my Lord’s face crumble, and knowing, somehow, His destruction was due to some action or misdeed which I have either already, or someday shall, wittingly, or unwittingly, execute was almost more than I could bear.

I tried to meditate and clear my head, but the images of my dream persisted and I achieved no solace.

At last Tagavarius appeared before my cell. He was flanked by two Justicars. They parted to give the jailor ample room to open the cell door.

“The Curia has reached a verdict, Evora.” Tagavarius said, with a tinge of disappointment.

The jailor slid the key into the lock and turned it. The cell door slowly swung open.

“You have been acquitted.”

Joy leapt from the bottoms of my feet clear up through my head.

“On the condition…” Tagavarius continued, obviously sensing my happiness. “That you and your companions leave immediately. Take the body of the druid with you. Uncover the Adversarial plot against Canaan. May Canaan have mercy on your souls.”

And thus, I was released. I rendezvoused with Lilian, Talon and Gabriel and having secured Shale’s body to a horse and given the corpse a gentle repose, we left Soliel much as we came, to deafening cheers and joyous praise from an unquantifiable crowd.

We were off to the Northeast, toward a place called Wiltangle Forest. It was there, in the midst of its twisting, dense trees that we would find Baern, Shale’s Master. Talon assured us he could lead us to him. Only Baern had the power to return the fallen druid to us.

As we rode on, mostly in earnest silence, I could not help but ponder the possibility that the Voice and Will chose to intercede on my behalf in the Curia’s deliberations. It mattered little, but the thought of it gave me great comfort.

I realized in that moment the true value of friendship. I clutched my holy symbol. It was still warm. I had not noticed it until then, but as I looked down I saw that it was faintly glowing.

What is this boon Tanner had bequeathed to me? Was I deserving of such a gift? I could do no better than to try to prove my worth and find, once again, that I have a friend in Canaan. That He had not abandoned me and that I was, arrogant, obstinate and wretched as I may be, still worthy of His love.

D'nemy

First Post
Thanks for the support, HOHB and Shieldhaven! Expect more posts this week. Things start to take some dramatic, unexpected turns... be ready.

Canaan

First Post
Interlude: Gabriel's Fall

Rage. Vengeance. These were all he felt at that moment, when he stormed back into the keep’s dungeon and through the corridor that lead to the altar room. There stood the Black Knight, still encased in Hu Li’s energy sphere. Though Gabriel couldn’t see it through the black visor, the Knight smiled. The fool, he thought, seeing that Gabriel was alone.

Gabriel strode purposefully up to the energy sphere, his body twitching with rage. He punched the sphere and was repulsed by Hu Li’s magic.

He screamed out in frustration. He would have to wait to get his vengeance.

Gabriel paced in front of the energy sphere holding the Blackguard. He stared fiercely at the dark knight, never letting his eyes stray from that visored face. The Blackguard casually stared back with practiced patience. He sensed the rage and hatred in Gabriel and again smiled. I will have his life and my master will have his soul.

After what seemed like an eternity to Gabriel, the sphere dissipated.

Gabriel leapt to attack, hoping to grapple the Blackguard and break its vile neck. Had Gabriel not been paralyzed by the Sorceress’s magic during the first battle and seen the ineffectiveness of Talon’s attempt at the same thing, perhaps he would have tried a different tactic.

The Blackguard met Gabriel’s attack and pushed him back with a powerful swing of his arm. But Gabriel would not give up easily. Pure rage fueled him and he would not be denied his vengeance. Gabriel fiercely attacked the Blackguard, landing blow after blow that barely dented his armor. And between Gabriel’s powerful blows, the Blackguard made his own devastating attacks. Not before long Gabriel had a dozen bleeding cuts. He was becoming winded. And the Blackguard seemed largely unhurt.

Gabriel was furious. This Blackguard killed his sister, the only person in his life that never judged him. For that the Blackguard would die at his hand. With an anguished scream, Gabriel attacked with renewed vigor, powered by his hatred and rage.

It was at that moment that Canaan left him.

Gabriel had turned his back on Canaan, on Love, Mercy and Justice. He had instead sought refuge in the vices of The Adversary; Hatred, Rage and Vengeance. A shadow descended on Gabriel’s soul.

The Blackguard invoked Murder and cleaved through the flesh of Gabriel’s left arm to the bone. Blood was everywhere. But Gabriel barely felt it through his rage. He assaulted the Black Knight with all of his might, landing a punch across his visor with his good arm and a kick to the abdomen. The Blackguard merely flinched.

But the kick was enough to throw the knight off balance, causing the Blackguard to miss with his next swing of Murder.

Gabriel again attacked the Blackguard with his own hands, but at the last moment the Blackguard sidestepped his lunges, causing Gabriel to overcompensate, leaving him open for a killing blow.

The Blackguard saw the opportunity and took it. Raising Murder across his left side to bring it down in an arcing motion across Gabriel’s back, the knight spoke for the first time, “It is time to meet your new master.” The blade swung down and buried itself deep in Gabriel’s back severing his spine. He fell to the floor, eyes staring blankly.

The Blackguard kicked Gabriel’s corpse for good measure and harrumphed. He said a prayer to his dark lord, took one last look around the room and departed.

Canaan’s Heaven is beatific and serene; it is a place of peace and harmony. The light of Canaan shines on those righteous souls that find themselves there and they are warmed by it.

Hell, the Adversary’s domain, is harsh and inhospitable. It can be cold as the deepest ocean or hot as the sun depending on what layer you found yourself and the nature of the sin that landed you there. It is a place of eternal suffering and torment.

There is a third place, however, for the souls of the recently departed; it is The Fugue Plane, a cosmic waiting room. A place where the souls go of those whose fate has yet to be determined. It is an antiseptic place, dark and cold.

It is in this third place that Gabriel found himself. He had fallen, and his soul should have gone to Hell. And but for the intercession of his sister and their guardian Angel, Cilestrial, it would have.

Cilestrial had never stopped watching over the twins as they grew; unseen and unheard, she was a celestial presence that gently guided them to do the right thing. By Divine Law, she could involve herself in only the smallest of ways and never directly. Nevertheless, it was she who arranged the series of events that led to their service in Goldfire Glen with the humble and kind-hearted Father Nimitz, after their years of training in Soliel under the harsh judgmental eyes of the priests there.

And it was she who issued the warning to Evora outside Harpy Ruins that all was not as it would seem. And it was she who used Evora and Talon, at the end, to speak truth to Gabriel and turn him from his path of destruction.

But her will was not stronger than Canaan’s and Canaan had chosen a test for Gabriel. The twins were indeed favored of Canaan. But something larger was happening and Canaan chose this moment to test his favored.

It was not Cilestrial’s province or inclination to ask why. Her duty was to carry out Canaan’s wishes. That was all. Canaan tested Gabriel’s faith, tested his love, tested his soul. But all were found lacking.

And so it was with great sadness that Cilestrial watched the young brawler fall. But she would not be content to watch The Adversary annihilate his soul. She interceded on his behalf. And that is no small thing.

Gabriel had fallen. His soul would go to Hell to be judged by The Adversary. Moloch would carry out the Adversary’s wishes and resign Gabriel’s soul to a place in Hell fitting to his sins.

By Divine Law, because it was Gabriel’s exercise of Free Will that consigned his soul to Hell, Canaan could not claim Gabriel’s soul without creating a Soul Debt. Under the rules of the Soul Debt, the only way Gabriel could be saved from his Fate is for someone else to take his place.

Cilestrial however, being a significantly high-ranked Angel in Canaan’s Celestial Host, knew of a loophole in the Divine Law of the Soul Debt. If a petition were made for Gabriel to be given a chance to redeem himself, the person taking his place would be consigned to Hell only if Gabriel had failed to redeem himself. Meanwhile, Gabriel’s proxy would exist in The Fugue Plane, unable to leave and unable to sense anything through that place’s haze. Cilestrial also knew that Canaan was usually loathe to exercise this loophole because Divine Law required that the Adversary also have the opportunity to choose a soul to return to Turgos for the chance to Fall.

Cilestrial decided to take that chance. She petitioned Canaan for a temporary reprieve, bartering for another chance for Gabriel. Though Lilian will later have no memory of it, Cilestrial explained Divine Law to Lilian and all of the repercussions of the Soul Debt. Her love for her brother compelled Lilian to stand by her side and plead with Canaan that Gabriel may yet be granted a chance to come back into Canaan’s grace.

Canaan granted that request. The Soul Debt would be paid. Gabriel would be granted another chance. Cilestrial would go to Gabriel and explain his misdeeds to him, freeing him from The Fugue Plane and taking his place there. He would be returned to Turgos, with all of the knowledge of the place he had been and the deeds that brought him there. Once on Turgos, he would have the opportunity to cleanse his soul and achieve a state of Grace.

But as required by Divine Law, Canaan decreed further. While Cilestrial paid the Soul Debt required by Divine Law, Lilian, for her part, would be returned to Turgos. Though she had earned a place in Canaan’s Heaven, she would have to give it up to save the soul of her brother, the soul for whom she and Cilestrial interceded. She would have to earn her place in Heaven again. And she would be tested. Indeed, a pure soul returned to Turgos to pay a Soul Debt is too enticing a challenge for The Adversary to ignore. She would be tempted. And she could Fall. But for Lilian, no price was too great to pay for her brother. And so she readily accepted her Fate.

To spare her the anguish and grief, Canaan decreed that Lilian would have no memory of Canaan’s Heaven or of her time there, for that would have been cruel.

The angel Cilestrial went to Gabriel and explained to Gabriel his Fall. Gabriel wept.

“How could seeking to destroy an evil soul lead to damnation?” He asked Cilestrial, angry and confused.

“Gabriel. It is not seeking to destroy an evil soul that lead to your damnation. It is what was in your heart that did it. You sought to destroy the Dark Knight, not out of Justice or Love, but out of Hatred, Rage and Vengeance.” Cilestrial explained sympathetically.

“I don’t understand.” Gabriel cried.

Cilestrial looked at Gabriel sadly, “It is not for you to judge and mete out punishment. Even the inquisitors and justicars seek divine aid before doing so. Your role is to enact Justice and exhibit Mercy.”

“I don’t think I know the difference.” Gabriel wept.

“You must learn the difference then, Gabriel. Your soul depends on it.” She added. “And so does mine,” she added in a whisper looking away.

Gabriel snapped to attention. “What do you mean, ‘so does mine’?” He asked quickly.

“The Soul Debt must be paid. I interceded on your behalf. I will remain here while you earn a place in Canaan’s Heaven. If you fail, you will be consigned to Hell. And so will I.”

“No! I will not permit you to do this!” Gabriel yelled.

“It is not your right to allow or disallow this, Gabriel. It was my choice. And it is done. It cannot be undone.” Cilestrial responded sympathetically.

“I am not worthy of this sacrifice. And I do not know if I can fare any better given a second chance. I am confused. I do not trust my ability to understand and process the subtleties of Divine Law. I implore you to let me be.” Gabriel pleaded with her.

“What is done is done.” Cilestrial calmly responded.

Gabriel wept. A short time later, he asked after his sister. “Did you see Lilian in Canaan’s Heaven?”

“Yes.” She flatly intoned.

“Thank Canaan.” Gabriel breathed

“And our parents?” He asked.

“I am not permitted to speak of there Fates.” Cilestrial responded.

“What do you mean? It is a simple question. Either they are in Heaven or they are not.” Gabriel was angry.

“It is actually much more complicated than that.”

Gabriel scowled.

“If I were permitted to tell you more, I would, Gabriel. Your parents…. Their Fates are tied to a Harmonic Concordance.”

“What do you mean?”

“A Harmonic Concordance is an event, Gabriel. It happens that very rarely the Three Faiths do battle to determine the course of history. The Adversary and Canaan have always opposed each other in these battles. But The Green is unpredictable and can often decide the winner. All Three Faiths must come together and decide the course of history.”

Gabriel was speechless.

“It is time for you to go. You will be joined by your sister. She will have no memory of Canaan’s Heaven. It is for the best. Like me, she interceded on your behalf. She will return to Turgos.”

Gabriel nodded.

Cilestrial never told him the full implication of Lilian’s return.

A bright light appeared near Gabriel.

“Walk into the light, Gabriel. Goodbye.”

Gabriel walked into the light and turned to Cilestrial, “I will do as is required of me. I will endeavor to follow Canaan’s dictates and divine guidance. But it will take me a long time to unlearn my habits. Though I often lack it, I pray that Canaan is patient with me. I will be his devoted servant. Thank you.”

Gabriel disappeared into the light.

Last edited:

Shieldhaven

Explorer
That sounds like it was a really cool scene. =) Since something similar happened to a character of mine in a LARP just this past weekend, I'm eager to see how this turns out!

Haven

Remove ads