• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Titan Fighting from RoS question

dontpunkme

First Post
OK, so I'm GMing a new game and one of my players wants to take the Titan Fighting feat from Races of Stone. Said player is convinced that Titan Fighting will effectively grant him a +8 bonus to AC against a specific giant that he has designated as the target of his dodge feat. I believe the feat would still only grant him a +5 against a giant. Anyone know precisely how the rule works.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dontpunkme said:
OK, so I'm GMing a new game and one of my players wants to take the Titan Fighting feat from Races of Stone. Said player is convinced that Titan Fighting will effectively grant him a +8 bonus to AC against a specific giant that he has designated as the target of his dodge feat. I believe the feat would still only grant him a +5 against a giant. Anyone know precisely how the rule works.

One third interpretation is that he only gets +4 against the giant, since his racial Dodge bonus has replaced his feat Dodge bonus... meaning he loses the +1, and the +4 he gets in return is the same +4 he would have received anyway.

-Hyp.

Legildur

First Post
dontpunkme said:
I thought dodge bonuses stacked.
They do. Except, IIRC, the feat is worded that the bonus from Titan Fighting replaces that for the Dodge feat.

I can't recall right now whether the feat uses the language 'allows you to replace' or whether it is an always on effect. If the former, then +5 vrs giants, or +4 otherwise.

Regardless of the wording of the feat, it would seem peverse if a feat was negated by a racial benefit harnessed through another feat.

I have a gnome Pal5/Ftr1 with this feat wearing full plate +1 and a tower shield +2 for an AC of 31 against his Dodge opponent who is medium-size or larger. Unfortunately, can't get Combat Expertise (or Improved Combat Expertise) as Int too low (so far), but about to get special mount and so can then use that for cover. And then a defending weapon!

Klaus

First Post
dontpunkme said:
Nope.

The feat allows you to "apply your dodge bonus against creatures of the giant type instead f the +1 bonus of the Dodge feat". So the character is applying a bonus he was already applying all along.

The character is better off not activating Titan Fighting against actual giants (or titans), instead benefitting of the racial +4 abd the Dodge +1, for a total of +5.

Remove ads