TITANSGRAVE Launches!

Wil Wheaton's new RPG web show, Titansgrave, has launched. Based on Green Ronin's upcoming Fantasy AGE roleplaying game, it features Wil Wheaton as the GM running a group of celebrity players (Hank Green, Alison Haislip, Yuri Lowenthal, and Laura Bailey) through an adventure set in his own created setting, Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana. The show will be running every Tuesday up until Gen Con (late July).

Wil Wheaton's new RPG web show, Titansgrave, has launched. Based on Green Ronin's upcoming Fantasy AGE roleplaying game, it features Wil Wheaton as the GM running a group of celebrity players (Hank Green, Alison Haislip, Yuri Lowenthal, and Laura Bailey) through an adventure set in his own created setting, Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana. The show will be running every Tuesday up until Gen Con (late July).

Titansgrave-Episode0b.png

Watch Chapter 0 here, where Wil introduces the concept of a roleplaying game and describes the setting in a 20-minute video. "Join Wil Wheaton, Hank Green, Alison Haislip, Yuri Lowenthal, and Laura Bailey for an overview of the world of Valkana! Titansgrave: Chapter 0 is an introduction to the basics of role-playing games, the Fantasy AGE system, and the characters and lore that make up the world of Valkana. Whether you’re a seasoned RPG player or newcomer to tabletop games in general, don’t miss the prologue to Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana!"

Chapter 1 has also been released. This one is a 40-minute video. "Join Aankia (Hank Green), Kiliel (Alison Haislip), Lemley (Laura Bailey), and S’Lethkk (Yuri Lowenthal) in the first installment of Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana. Under the recommendation of Gurlock the Beer Baron, the party ventures off to Nestora, where they find themselves swept up in a festival of sorts called the Battle of the Boasts. Adventure, excitement, and free beer await our heroes, but the good times only last for so long…"

Von Ether

Legend
I am a very argumentative person who if i know i'm annoying you will keep on doing it for the sake of it at times. I doubt its actually made any effect on your life but your more than right, there is a way of saying something and apologies if the way i said anything to you caused any offence, It wasnt meant too I just feel pointlessly strongly about titansgrave and take things far too personally.

I have very fond memories and learnt allot about how to deal with people around the table in the brief time i got to play in your burning of the sun campaign Russ and would quite genuinely would be sad to have you think poorly of me, as i wasn't lying when i earlier mentioned valuing your opinion quite highly when it comes to anything RPG.

Kudos for trying to rise above your old habits of needlessly antagonizing people for entertainment.

Every one gets those temptations once in a while. The people who are not jerks are those that fight the temptation and realize that it sabotage themselves more in the long term.

On the internet it's okay to:
A. Agree to disagree and move on.
B. Not necessary to have the last word. You probably never changed any one's mind and being ignored isn't the same as winning.

Dahak

Explorer
I, for one, was pretty happy with the video. Even though I'm not a fan of Green Ronin, and not really sold on AGE, Wil and company did a good job of explaining the system and playing to its strengths. I think GR has a real winner as far as instructional videos go. I now wish Titansgrave was coming out for Cypher System instead.

Anthony Terry

First Post
I, for one, was pretty happy with the video. Even though I'm not a fan of Green Ronin, and not really sold on AGE, Wil and company did a good job of explaining the system and playing to its strengths. I think GR has a real winner as far as instructional videos go. I now wish Titansgrave was coming out for Cypher System instead.

Do you think it was the system that was the issue or just the way that they played the game? I just felt it was more orriantated (I AM AWARE ITS JUST THE FIRST 2 EPISODES AND MAY CHANGE FOR IN FUTURE RELEASES) towards highlighting what will be a personal taste system opposed to highlighting the actual unique or interesting parts of the setting, which was my main issue with it. It felt like an advert for AGE opposed to role playing or even titansgrave imo.

Dahak

Explorer
Do you think it was the system that was the issue or just the way that they played the game? I just felt it was more orriantated (I AM AWARE ITS JUST THE FIRST 2 EPISODES AND MAY CHANGE FOR IN FUTURE RELEASES) towards highlighting what will be a personal taste system opposed to highlighting the actual unique or interesting parts of the setting, which was my main issue with it. It felt like an advert for AGE opposed to role playing or even titansgrave imo.

The system's okay, it just wouldn't have been my choice. I'm actually grabbed by the way they were playing. It was comedic, which is something I was worried wouldn't be the case. With Blue Rose being the other launch setting for the system, I thought the tone might be in line with that. I agree with the Blue Rose ideals, but I hate the tone.

It honestly didn't feel like a system advertisement to me, so much as an ad that says "Yay! RPGs are fun!" But that's just my take.

Anthony Terry

First Post
The system's okay, it just wouldn't have been my choice. I'm actually grabbed by the way they were playing. It was comedic, which is something I was worried wouldn't be the case. With Blue Rose being the other launch setting for the system, I thought the tone might be in line with that. I agree with the Blue Rose ideals, but I hate the tone.

It honestly didn't feel like a system advertisement to me, so much as an ad that says "Yay! RPGs are fun!" But that's just my take.

Fair enough its clearly just my rpg snobbery raging around then as id agree at times they achieve a comedic approach i just didnt enjoy it and found it dishonest but personal taste and all that! Hope you enjoy episode 2 despite all my negativity i would of thought ill still watch it tonight

Von Ether

Legend
In watching the next episode, these are my impressions so far.

In Ep. 2, they sort have done a reverse "dungeon"/siege adventure The place they are staying at has treasures to defend and the threats come to them.

Having the players come up with your relic/magic item names on the fly is something I'm going to have to try. You might end up with some silly names, but you what? It tells you what mood your players are in, get them some buy in and creates memories.

I'm also getting a kick out of how the "You're all hanging out in the tavern" cliche was actually the start of a beer-related theme for the campaign.

What are the "themes" of beer? It's now an extra treasure, promises of parties are now considered payment for adventures.

Cross posted and then expanded from the Ep. 2 thread

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I finally watched episode 1 tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it after a bit of a slow start. Wil and the players are engaging to watch and the world seems really interesting. The editing and post-production extras were simply fantastic. What a shame more actual play videos don't have access to a professional editing and post-production staff! :)

This is going to be a tremendous fillip for Green Ronin and their AGE system, I would expect (and hope), as it looks like these videos are going to be a near-perfect introduction to RPGs, the AGE system, and the Titansgrave world. I hope they're a big success for all involved.

Fildrigar

Explorer
I also wish they included a but more graphically like the target numbers for the tests. The combats they've had so far have clearly been edited for brevity, I'm familiar enough with AGE to know it usually takes more than one hit to take enemies down. It'd be nice for them to post what sorts of changes have been made for the sake of fitting the session into 45 minutes.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads