TMP NY Location

W

WizO_Pounamu

Ok. I'm looking over this map of New York and I'm thinking...

Central Park would just be cool to have nearby. :angel:
Putting us near Mt Sinai hospital on 5th Ave and E 98 st, 3rd Ave near East 102nd street would put TMP 3 city blocks from Franklin Roosevelt Drive and the East River.
I am only assuming at this point that the East River would mean possible warehouses, but it's also right next to First Avenue so might be a lil unlikely for an arms dealer etc.

Greenwich puts us in Lower Mantahhan, considerably closer to that-place-we're-not-using. Saint Vincents is a religious hospital but so long as no one dwells on that I think we could get it around the CoC... So long as no one tries starting up arguements about the hospital helping or not helping suspected aliens or mutants etc on religious grounds.
Sou-west of that a few blocks is West 11th St and Hudson St which would put us a couple of blocks south of some place called Abington Square, (which looks more like a triangle to me!) and about 3 city blocks east of the Hudson River.

If we were on 21st St. between Lexington Ave and Third Ave, we would have Gramercy Park right there and a hotel nearby. Bellevue Medical would be almost 10 blocks away to the north-east, Broadway a few blocks west.

Opinions?

- Pounamu

Drindin

First Post
The last one sounds good. Considering a nightclub would probably try to place its self near a hotel for better business. Not to mention a nearby park would improve the surrounding area, again improving busines. (Then the combat room could be 'Gramercy Park' :p)

My two Cents.

S

Ssussunriyh

WizO Pounamu said:
3rd Ave near East 102nd street
West 11th St and Hudson St.
21st St. between Lexington Ave. and Third Ave.

My tour guide shows nothing noteworthy in the immediate vicinity of 3rd & 102nd.

On the southwest corner (more like due south, given the orientation of the streets) of W. 11th & Hudson is a place called the White Horse Tavern, where the poet Dylan Thomas drank himself to death in the corner of the bar. The apocryphal story still circulating is that his last words were: "I've had 19 straight whiskeys. I believe that's the record..." (The main attraction here is the history, not the food. Relatively good burgers and okay fries.)

21st St. between Lexington & 3rd is the Grammercy Park Historic District, modeled after a London square ringed by 19th century neoclassical townhouses. On the northwest corner of 21st & Lexington, facing the park, is the Grammercy Park Hotel, with sensibly-priced accomodations and a relaxed Old World style, popular with European travelers. Grammercy Park itself is the sole surviving "private park" in NYC - only surrounding residents (and hotel guests) have keys to get in.

J

Jaya Ballard Balla'th

As long as it's in a general business district (And can attract more patrons than the other clubs. ;) ) a nightclub'll do fine. I've never heard of a hotel giving one better business.. most people willing to burn the cash at a NYC hotel are their for business or tourists, not clubbers. ;)

I's'a look at where those streets put it later.. not familiar with any off the top of my head. But as long as it's on Manhatten island or just in a part of greater New York, that's pretty fine.. the beauty of NYC is that subway can get you from wherever to wherever. If anything, it would draw more people by being as close to a subway station as possible. Less commute time on foot, and less chance of competitor clubs drawing them in. :)

W

WizO_Pounamu

I didn't know Gramercy was private. oh well.

No one says we have to have any prominent atractions around TMP. Someone wanted a hotel (probably for visiting "business" associates to stay in where TMP would be a nearby place to do business) close, but who says a new hotel may not have appeared in 27 years time?

I've had a thought though. How about TMP being on the opposite side of the block from this hotel, so that the hotel is the building that backs onto it. Assuming the hotel would have parking nearby, perhaps some levels of the parking building is open for public use (paid, of course), which would solve that one too, even if people then have to walk a block or half a block.

- Pounamu

S

Ssussunriyh

In Manhattan it's faster, easier, and less stressful to walk ten blocks than to drive the same distance. Nobody would object to the nearest parking lot being a block or two away.

BTW, I read that London-style taxi cabs are now being built in left-hand drive configuration for the US market (made in a licensed factory in New England somewhere... I think Boston, but I'm not sure.) Since the old Checker cabs are long-gone, it'll be nice to have a real taxi again, instead of just a Chevy Caprice or Ford Crown Vic painted yellow...

That makes me wonder. If they start using the London-style cabs in New York City, will they be painted yellow? Sacrelige! Black is the only proper color for one of those cabs. Although maybe with a yellow stripe, or a black and yellow two-tone effect like that one-of-a-kind antique Rolls Royce...

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

WizO Pounamu said:
I've had a thought though. How about TMP being on the opposite side of the block from this hotel, so that the hotel is the building that backs onto it. Assuming the hotel would have parking nearby, perhaps some levels of the parking building is open for public use (paid, of course), which would solve that one too, even if people then have to walk a block or half a block.
I've stayed at a hotel in Burlington, Vermont that had that kind of parking set up, and it worked fine, and that was sharing with a mall, so it should work fine in New York City.

As for the proposed placements, I'd say 3rd and 102nd would work well, if for no other reason that Ssussunriyh's guide shows nothing major right there. That and being within three blocks of the East River could provide some roleplaying potential for several character types.

Just a few thoughts.

S

Ssussunriyh

3rd Ave. & 102nd St.

To give you a bigger picture, this area is known as the Upper East Side. It is upscale and mainly residential, with a large concentration of townhouses, deluxe apartment buildings, elitist hotels, and elegant mansions, interspersed with churches, museums, restaurants, gourmet take-out stores, along with its fair share of tenements and neglect.

It's a mixed bag, where one of the city's most prestigious ZIP codes meets Spanish Harlem to the north. The main thoroughfares like Fifth Ave., Park Ave., and 3rd, 2nd and 1st Ave. tend to feature the mansions, high-rise condos, and upscale boutiques, clubs, and restaurants, while the side streets are a mix of modest town houses and tenements - some gentrified, some not - along with inexpensive chain stores and pizza-parlor-type restaurants.

My tour guide doesn't show any attractions around 3rd & 102nd, but that doesn't mean there's nothing there at all. It just means there's nothing really outstanding or noteworthy there, worth traveling all the way to New York City just to see it.

But we can change that...

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

The possible changes are what I meant as making that location a good choice, it leaves more freedom for placing new and setting original stores/ buildings/ etc... into the area without disrupting any major existing places. Of course it wouldn't mean that there's nothing there at present, it's New York City, there's something everywhere. However, having the low count of landmarks and attractions would make it viable for change.

W

WizO_Pounamu

So 3rd and 102nd area it is then?
Hotels, business, near the docks... if you want a new prominent landmark, someone write one up. ;) :p

- Pounamu

Remove ads